Quantcast

skillz park?

mcdurly1

Chimp
Dec 8, 2001
Austin, TX
so there seems to be some talk about a skills area at city park. does anyone have the email of britt jones? I believe he is the one organizing the deal, and I wanted to express some of my ideas about the area. I went out there today to check it out and I have some super sweet ideas that I am positive EVERYONE from all levels will enjoy. they include north shore stuff... drops.... dirt jumps... and berms, gotta have berms. all of this stuff can be put at the back end of the parking lot and have nice flow without having to overtake the entire area. so if anyone knows what's up with this let me know who I can talk to.

mcdurly1

Chimp
Dec 8, 2001
Austin, TX
well i tried that out already, but for whatever reason it said I couldn't. any other way? maybe you can post my email address for me so that he can email me then I will mail him. is that confusing? any way smcanally2@austin.rr.com. that would be awesome if you could.

mcdurly1

Chimp
Dec 8, 2001
Austin, TX
awesome.....

thanks so much. bye the way..... have I ever met you? I think you said something about seeing us at the "jumps" and I am tryin' to figure out who you are in real life.

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
Hmmm. I dunno. I've been to the jumps at the top of the hill once. There were a few people there: dude with green p.3, dude with nice BigHit, dude with SC Super8 (?), dudes with big bikes/armor/full face helmets, kids with hardtails. This was sunday before last. I was on a red/silver RM Slayer and soaking it all in.

I usually ride Walnut Creek and City Park. If you ever see me and my bike, kick me or something. And let me know who you are so I don't kick you back. I have a hardtail on the way so I'll be spending some time at the top of the hill. On the girlie line until I get better I suppose.

These are the jumps, right? <http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43711>

mcdurly1

Chimp
Dec 8, 2001
Austin, TX
yep, dims the jumps I's talkin' 'bout. and we haven't met yet. that place is tits isn't it.? hopefully the trails will be dry today... or at least dry enough to ride. I think it is cool that marshall gave the place a huge shout out. anyway..... come ride with me some time maybe I can give you a little coaching. I am really stoked to have new people come out all the time and want to learn. let me know when you can go . I don't work for the next couple of days.

bikejones

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
ATX
Originally posted by mcdurly1
yep, dims the jumps I's talkin' 'bout. and we haven't met yet. that place is tits isn't it.? hopefully the trails will be dry today... or at least dry enough to ride. I think it is cool that marshall gave the place a huge shout out. anyway..... come ride with me some time maybe I can give you a little coaching. I am really stoked to have new people come out all the time and want to learn. let me know when you can go . I don't work for the next couple of days.
Do you do group coaching too? :D

I used to do jumps, but messed up my knees and got a little scared.....now I want to get to back into it. I'm not looking for big doubles and some hang time, but just want to get my confidence back.

b

bikejones

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
ATX
Originally posted by the Inbred
the place is gonna be used by motos, too...not just us, so it's gotta be quite burly.
'at's right! I've been trying to get in touch with the local Moto club. When we start building, we need to take into consideration that sometime, someone on a motorbike will get on the stuff and try to ride it. If they do, we want it to hold up to the +/- 300lbs. of their bike.

bikejones

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
ATX
Originally posted by mcdurly1
so there seems to be some talk about a skills area at city park. does anyone have the email of britt jones? I believe he is the one organizing the deal, and I wanted to express some of my ideas about the area. I went out there today to check it out and I have some super sweet ideas that I am positive EVERYONE from all levels will enjoy. they include north shore stuff... drops.... dirt jumps... and berms, gotta have berms. all of this stuff can be put at the back end of the parking lot and have nice flow without having to overtake the entire area. so if anyone knows what's up with this let me know who I can talk to.
Hey what's up mcdurly1!!!!! It took 'em a few days but the fine folks at RM OK'ed my request to join. (I don't know why????):eek: :D :D

Basically.....through trail work and matching grants, the City of Austin Parks Department got some funding $$$ to improve CP. First they built the restrooms and now they are doing the road and parking lot improvements.

When that is done, the contractor will use their machinery to move some of the big ass boudlers and tree trunks, that are near the previous trailhead, and move them close to where the current trailhead is. This area of the parking lot will be closed to parked vehicles because of a detention pond that will be there. This pond is necessary to catch non-point source pollution before it is carried down the creeks to the river. There is supposed to be enough space around the pond to allow for a skillz park.

Remember the funding $$$ I mentioned earlier?:D Well if there is some left over after Parks finishes the parkinglot, builds a shed and buys their own trail tools (that we can use on trailwork days) then they will let use use the left over cheese for buying lumber and stuff for the ramps, teeter-totters and stuff. The Ridge Riders might be able to pitch in a little cash too. I haven't asked the Board about it yet, but we will be having a meeting soon and that is one of the topics for discussion/approval.

Also, as mentioned........we may be able to use the area and/or dirt off Pierce Rd. where the temporary parking is. There's some issues with that dirt though. It's not nice clean loam, but we might be able to use it. It would also take a front-end loader or a bobcat to move that sh!t around. Hopefully Parks would help us out on that one too.

Anyway.........that's pretty much it.....if you need to contact me...my email addy is bikejones@ev1.net

later!
b