Quantcast

Skytop Banned?

Adium

Chimp
May 20, 2008
I am new back to the area of Syracuse, after 5 years of the Army telling me where to live, and am just learning about Skytop for the first time.

Some of the tracks are nearly suicidal, and most of the jumps are a little out of my league. Regardless there are some nice tracks there, I am more interested in the mountain bike single track.

This is the only forum I have found where they even mention Skytop so I am hoping that you guys know something about it. Rumor is, last year someone was killed while biking. With the insane jumps and the close proximety the cliffs are to the tracks I don't doubt it.

Because of this, the rumor is that the police chased everyone off the mountain. While I was there this weekend I saw no police, but at the same time no bikers either. I thought this strange as most other single tracks I go to, I always see someone else. I have never seen anyone on Skytop, I am going to add some pictures of what is on Skytop so you can understand why I think this is strange. Bottom line, I want to know if the police did shut this park down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adium/sets/72157604917911602/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
First off, thanks for your years of service. Second, be careful up there, and ALWAYS check things out before you try and ride them. Some of that stuff was built before your time of service, and probably hasn't been worked on since.

The area is owned by the mining company across the highway. It's not currently active, but the other side is. Every other year or so, they hire a private security guard and he gives a ticket to anybody who looks in the area. Seriously, I've seen joggers come out with tickets in their hands. Then, the next year, people will ride all season with no notice. It's hit or miss, but be wary and use a side entrance if possible until you get a feel for the area. People used to ride moto up there (most of the jumps in the dirt area are because of that) and I've even seen people 4-wheeling. Haven't seen any of that in a very long time though.

I guess the policing mostly started when somebody fell from the cliff and had to be airlifted out of there. I'm not sure if that's exactly what happened but when I was active in the area that was the rumor.

Anyways, the best riding can be had if you start in the dirt area, go past the old buildings and up the fireroad on the hill in the woods. You'll come to a little shack and a tower, go right there instead of left. There is some really nice singletrack. Following that takes you back to the satellite tower, follow the fireroad up and to your left which brings you to the bottom of the jump line. Follow that up and stay to the left (yeah, near the cliff) and you'll pass some very technical singletrack and back to where you started. The loop is about 2.2 miles, and it takes about an hour to do if you're poking about.

If you make it up the short uphill before MEAT DH1, I'll give you a dollar. I've never seen anybody clean it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
not sure, but I can't see a real cop patrolling private property all summer long unless he was hired by the company/persons that own it.

Adium

Chimp
May 20, 2008
If I were driving I would have to park my car at the Inn Complete to even get close to Skytop cause the university has the road blocked off during non-class hours. I live about 2-3 miles away so just leave from the house, which makes it all the more reason that I want to ride Skytop.

How is this cop/security guard able to gain access if not on foot? And if he is on foot, why should I worry if on a bike. There are trailheads all over the mountain and I can easily disappear down one of them and come out anywhere.

Not that I would run from the authorities, but its something I am sure that they would consider before making that hike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The most common entrance is the dirt area nearest the parking lot, and from what I understand, that's right where he/she would hang out. You can get up to the park from the bottom, ie the other quarry, and if you had the right to (that security guard) you could easily drive up the road and park. I've never run into him myself, but I understand that he rode a bike and I was under the impression that he was plainclothes, so you don't realize it's a cop and ride away. Quite frankly, I don't think the average officer could keep up on some of those trails, and you are correct, there are several exits/entrances if you know your way around.

He doesn't have to get everybody to remain effective, which is probably why you don't see any riders there. When I was in the area, I used to see all kinds of people, from dog walkers to joggers to riders and motards.

I would imagine it would be relatively easy to get out of a ticket (they can't/haven't marked every entrance) but getting a $200 trespassing ticket is usually sufficient to chase somebody away.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
right after you enter the woods by the shed, you go into a little woodsie section. There's a small steep section then a climb right after it. The climb has a steep shale rock right in the middle of it, and it's almost impossible to get over it. Right after that, the trail takes a turn to the left and brings you right about to the tri-bridge seen above. If you go right instead of left (in the clearing), you'll see meat and possibly another trail. Meat goes right down a rock then left, then a no-longer steep turn to the right. There should be a sign and some tubes hung on it.