Quantcast

Slayer suspension analysis

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'm not a suspension nerd but (unless you're having a tantrum) this guy's figures/analyses seem pretty decent. this bike is high on my list if my uzzi ever dies...i'd throw a coil on it and be a happy camper, i think.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I am actually holding out for the next iteration of the Altitude, which apparently will be this bike's little brother. My current Altitude is super progressive, and I love. Just curious what other people are gleaning from this analysis...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I haven't checked his model or anything, but the conclusions he draws from the numbers he's got are solid.

The Slayer looks like a really, really good bike on paper.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am actually holding out for the next iteration of the Altitude, which apparently will be this bike's little brother. My current Altitude is super progressive, and I love. Just curious what other people are gleaning from this analysis...
Something strange about RMs leverage ratios. This is plenty fine for the coil shock Slayer, but look at the new Element, it's got a super progressive rate AND it uses an air shock. I have to think that thing would be harsh.

Cau Boi

Chimp
Dec 8, 2016
curious to know how a 30% antirise frame work under stress! dont know if good or bad thing is

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The linkage is well done. If I am allowed to be picky, I would say that the chainstays and reach could have been a bit longer combined with a slightly steeper STA.
FWIW

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Rad looking bikes, with a well designed suspension design, but man, single shear pivots with blind holes for what I can only assume is for aesthetics (nice and clean looking and that's it), irks the heck out of me.

I'd still rock it. Not sure how well those pivots will hold up over time.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Rad looking bikes, with a well designed suspension design, but man, single shear pivots with blind holes for what I can only assume is for aesthetics (nice and clean looking and that's it), irks the heck out of me.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. Are you thinking that there might not be enough material for the bolt to have purchase/strength?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. Are you thinking that there might not be enough material for the bolt to have purchase/strength?
It's just not as strong. You can get twisting and lateral deflection there. Kind of a dumb setup. My Norco range had a junction like that and the fucking insert broke loose on one of them. And when that happens the entire molding is basically trashed.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
As Kidwoo mentioned, it's weaker (half the strength), and allows for more flex at the junction, thus more stress on the bearings themselves and more movement throughout the entire assembly of links/joints). Lots of bikes running double shear pivots, and those bikes will generally have longer bearing service life (all things being equal in terms of bearing quality, size, FOD like dirt, etc). Shear forces are double to actually shear a double shear vs a single shear pivot, but that's not the main concern (it would be rare to shear a bolt that size, but people have done it), flex of the assembly is and blind threaded holes reduce the amount of full thread and this is probably an insert, which makes it even worse (did they even use a keensert?) like KidWoo said, which if it's not installed correctly may back out and leave you without an easier repair if it was a thru hole. Bikes should run double shear pivots where possible, as the bearings used are small, and not ideal for the application (ball roller bearings are made to spin, not rotate 1-10deg only). Bikes like the Demo8, Process, etc, run double shear. This looks to be a decision based on aesthetics (it looks better) as there are no engineering positives (other than design envelope constraints) to single shear or blind holes where threaded inserts exist.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The blind pivots at the chainstay are a functional decision as they help keep heel rub down/chainstay width managed. Otherwise I agree that a clevis would be optimal. They are pretty big pivots too, so that helps. I rode the bike back in the fall on some fairly local/familiar trails and can attest that it is indeed a slayer (haha). Don't need a graph to tell me that.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The blind pivots at the chainstay are a functional decision as they help keep heel rub down/chainstay width managed. Otherwise I agree that a clevis would be optimal. They are pretty big pivots too, so that helps. I rode the bike back in the fall on some fairly local/familiar trails and can attest that it is indeed a slayer (haha). Don't need a graph to tell me that.
Heavy gravity bias or would it work as a good all rounder?

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
been told the Slayer is a very capable bike in any of it,s settings in any direction , also been told the new Altitude is pretty sweet . they just hit the stores locally I will have to check one out . If the weather holds there is a demo day in Squamish middle of March for local monkeys

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Our local Rocky rep often rides it as an all-rounder (if the ride is going to feature some gnar) otherwise he prefers his altitude. I think the Altitude version of this bike (likely 150-160mm) is going to be perfect for me, as I don't ride like Woo/etc...

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Our local Rocky rep often rides it as an all-rounder (if the ride is going to feature some gnar) otherwise he prefers his altitude. I think the Altitude version of this bike (likely 150-160mm) is going to be perfect for me, as I don't ride like Woo/etc...
I am still very curious to see the new Norco Sight and Range with the 29" wheel as well as what the new Altitude will be as well . The manager at a LBS told me said he,s very excited about the Altitude , if they fix the pivot issues previous version had it should do well .

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Are you sure it's not a clevis with the female part on the seat stay? You could still do a blind bolt to make it purdy and do that.

I have no idea, haven't seen one in person. Just speculating.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
It's just not as strong. You can get twisting and lateral deflection there. Kind of a dumb setup. My Norco range had a junction like that and the fucking insert broke loose on one of them. And when that happens the entire molding is basically trashed.
so your Norco was a state of the art brand new carbon frame that had that issue or a welded aluminum deal ??

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
From the whispering of the rep, the new Altitude will be based on this Slayer/Maidenesque design, so that should address the pivot issues.
Unless they scrapped the Altitude updates that they had worked out it was going to be the same layout as the current Altitude. Updated geo, slacker, and longer. But maybe when it came time to cut molds they decided to switch it up to the match the Slayer/Maiden. I know the geo had been worked out ages ago and aluminum mules ridden with tons of miles.

LoamRanger

Chimp
Feb 3, 2017
hoping they fixed their cracking issue on the Altitude. My riding friend is on his 5th. Apparently they will upgrade him to the Slayer next round.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
hoping they fixed their cracking issue on the Altitude. My riding friend is on his 5th. Apparently they will upgrade him to the Slayer next round.
Sounds like the problem is the name. If it's renamed the Priest or the Motorhead, that'd probably fix it.