Quantcast

Slayer suspension analysis

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
tldr; let me guess: a full enderpo bike that climbs well for the travel and geometry?
The Slayer is all about surprises. What I expected was a capable but routine enduro race bike with more brawn than brains; what I got was a bike that's not just capable but also exceedingly versatile. Yes, there's a lot of suspension and geometry on tap, enough for any racer's needs, but the Slayer's effective geo adjustment and remarkably good pedaling manners make it far more than just another enduro bike. - Mike Levy
holy shit will you write for pinkbike? how good is sram eagle?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In 2025, we won't be able to climb unless we have a 25x56.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And unsprung weight difference of about 1000%.
Cassette is only 360g, that's still lighter than an XT 11spd and the XD body is a little lighter than the standard shimano setup. But it looks bigly, so that probably does it.

On the other hand, paying that much $$$ because you need to spin out on your enduro bike on the 12 mile road ride to the trailhead or because you don't have the leverage with your 62° head tube to make it up the climbs is closer to the mark IMO...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
On the other hand, paying that much $$$ because you need to spin out on your enduro bike on the 12 mile road ride to the trailhead or because you don't have the leverage with your 62° head tube to make it up the climbs is closer to the mark IMO...
This.

If I had long road rides to get to trailheads where I was spinning out a lot, then maybe I'd think about it (with a big ass chainring, because I sure as fuck don't need a 32-50 to climb). In my particular case I don't have to contend with that, so I'm way happier with my 11-40 Shimano 11 speed, and its tighter ratios between gears. My big beef with Sram's drivetrain setups isn't that they offer such huge ranges, but that they ONLY offer such huge ranges. Choices are good.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
judging by the RM logo on the riders jersey that,s a new Rocky Altitude , when I looked at the Slayer they mentioned some new changes to the pivots , and linkage and geo

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
How the fuck did you get girls interested in bikes? Or is that disgust?
Nah, you can tell by her face. She is thinking "Man, I had to jump off top of my house just to fit in these pants, and these neon panty wastes are not even looking. Just standing around talking about bike parts. I should have picked someone who plays sportsball."

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, new Altitude comes with a Fox 36.
I am possibly looking at replacing that with an '18 PIKE, in order to have a Dual Air Position (we have lots of steep, sustained climbing here).
Anyone wanna tear that notion to shreds?
I figure I could sell the Fox for more than the Pike will cost from QBP...