Quantcast

Sleep thread

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my employer/insurance plan covers a program/app called Sleepio so going to give that a try. I don't have it as rough as some of you all report but I have trouble sleeping sometimes and end up a bit short and feeling less than rested.

(they'll even give me $50 for going through sessions 1-3. 1 down already. so I figure why not.)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Nothing beats an orgasm for a good sleep, one way or another. I know as a culture though y’all some sexually repressed weirdos though. Does your app have a happy ending Toshi?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'll be interested to see how it goes.
My sleep is shit and I have sleep apnea, I was thinking about started a thread reviewing all the sleep Apnea things I have tried thus far.
Still need to find out why my Blood Oxy can go under 90% while I'm awake, might have something to do with my sleepiness, haha!
I've had probably 10 or more prescriptions for stuff to get me sleeping but the only thing that worked is an anti psychotic and that seems to fuck my jaw up for some odd reason.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The mystery of sleep always cracks me up. I see a lot of people who sub to Whoop and discover that no shit, if you Don’t drink before bed, or if you don’t surf your phone in bed, or watch TV, and exercise regularly, you’ll sleep better. Wake up naturally, etc. etc., you’ll do great.

The harder part is for people that do all that and still can’t sleep. I’m sure that app helps you to sort out the big factors, but I’m curious whether it does anything for people with deeper issues.

I’ve started doing magnesium before bed on a suggestion from Reddit or something. It’s probably placebo, but it doesn’t seem to hurt. Regular exercise is pretty good for me and maintaining a routine as well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The mystery of sleep always cracks me up. I see a lot of people who sub to Whoop and discover that no shit, if you Don’t drink before bed, or if you don’t surf your phone in bed, or watch TV, and exercise regularly, you’ll sleep better. Wake up naturally, etc. etc., you’ll do great.

The harder part is for people that do all that and still can’t sleep. I’m sure that app helps you to sort out the big factors, but I’m curious whether it does anything for people with deeper issues.

I’ve started doing magnesium before bed on a suggestion from Reddit or something. It’s probably placebo, but it doesn’t seem to hurt. Regular exercise is pretty good for me and maintaining a routine as well.
magnesium can give you diarrhea if taken in too large of doses. i take it from time to time if i'm having issues sleeping.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I did a sleep study, as part of my brain thing, and they found that I had mild sleep apnea. Not sure if there was nothing recommended or if I fell through the cracks, but nothing further came of that.

Waiting for a second sleep study, but its been months, so I have no clue whats up with that.

I have found the best thing for me is to take a sleep pill (or gravol) that contains diphenhydramine hydrochloride. If I time it right, I will fall asleep within minutes of laying down and stay asleep.

I've also found that taking some wacky tabacky does not really help. It also seems to cancel out the sleep pill, if I do both. So I haven't really smoked as weed in months.

A doctor I spoke to said that the diphenhydramine hydrochloride is okay for now, as its just an antihistamine. But its obviously not great long term and not fixing whatever the root cause is. Still need to work on that.

Now my biggest problem is that if I sleep well, I wake up WAY too early. We're talking 4 or 5am at times and then I find it very hard to go back to sleep. That can really throw things off.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Found out that I had sleep apnea in December, really bad apnea 72 episodes per hour. they gave me a Cpap and on the advice of my BIL I went with the nasal pillow option using an airfit P30i head gear now I have between 2-3 episdes per hour and I sleep like a rock.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
magnesium can give you diarrhea if taken in too large of doses. i take it from time to time if i'm having issues sleeping.
I don't seem to have that problem, but I only take one pill of magnesium citramate https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/magnesium-citramate

Again, it's highly likely that it's placebo. I don't notice much of a difference when I don't take it, but I've been taking it for about 2 years and have slept pretty well during that time. I still think that the biggest impact on good sleep is good sleep hygeine, but there's a part of me that thinks it helps me stay asleep and stay more restful.

I have found the best thing for me is to take a sleep pill (or gravol) that contains diphenhydramine hydrochloride. If I time it right, I will fall asleep within minutes of laying down and stay asleep.

I've also found that taking some wacky tabacky does not really help. It also seems to cancel out the sleep pill, if I do both. So I haven't really smoked as weed in months.
Diphenhydramine is the same active ingredient in benadryl, so if you're looking for a cheap option, grab a 500 pill bottle of benny and sleep to your hearts content. My understanding is that it's not habit forming and not detrimental, but when I use it, I need to take it just before getting in bed, as if I'm up for 20-30 minutes past taking it then anxiety creeps in and it's no longer helpful. I wake up feeling groggy usually, but I sleep like an absolute rock on it. I don't like to take it long term as after 3 nights on it, I have a hell of a time getting back to normal...so it may not be habit forming, but my body seems to form a bit of a dependence on it (that quickly disipates once I commit to natural sleep).

I found that weed or gummies doesn't really help. I get a high quantity of sleep, but it never feels high quality. I usually wake up feeling poorly rested. Sometimes if I take it early and get a solid 8 hours it helps, but by and large it doesn't work for me for good sleep. I did once combine the two options above and was basically comatose for 9 hours, that was a fun night :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't seem to have that problem, but I only take one pill of magnesium citramate https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/magnesium-citramate

Again, it's highly likely that it's placebo. I don't notice much of a difference when I don't take it, but I've been taking it for about 2 years and have slept pretty well during that time. I still think that the biggest impact on good sleep is good sleep hygeine, but there's a part of me that thinks it helps me stay asleep and stay more restful.

Diphenhydramine is the same active ingredient in benadryl, so if you're looking for a cheap option, grab a 500 pill bottle of benny and sleep to your hearts content. My understanding is that it's not habit forming and not detrimental, but when I use it, I need to take it just before getting in bed, as if I'm up for 20-30 minutes past taking it then anxiety creeps in and it's no longer helpful. I wake up feeling groggy usually, but I sleep like an absolute rock on it. I don't like to take it long term as after 3 nights on it, I have a hell of a time getting back to normal...so it may not be habit forming, but my body seems to form a bit of a dependence on it (that quickly disipates once I commit to natural sleep).

I found that weed or gummies doesn't really help. I get a high quantity of sleep, but it never feels high quality. I usually wake up feeling poorly rested. Sometimes if I take it early and get a solid 8 hours it helps, but by and large it doesn't work for me for good sleep. I did once combine the two options above and was basically comatose for 9 hours, that was a fun night :D
You're right about the anxiety or whatever it is. If I take it and "push through" the tiredness, lets say if I was watching a good movie or just being an idiot, then its affect is definitely no longer very useful.

The doctor I spoke to specifically said that its not habit forming. But yeah, if it helps you sleep, the body kind of defaults to wanting to take it after a while.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You're right about the anxiety or whatever it is. If I take it and "push through" the tiredness, lets say if I was watching a good movie or just being an idiot, then its affect is definitely no longer very useful.

The doctor I spoke to specifically said that its not habit forming. But yeah, if it helps you sleep, the body kind of defaults to wanting to take it after a while.
I noticed it first when taking nyquil (which I think used to have diphen-, now has unisom/doxylamine). I'd take it every night while sick, then when I got better I'd have 2-3 nights of miserable sleep. It happened consistently enough that I figured it out. Maybe it doesn't happen to other people, I know my boomer dad takes it every night, but he's probably getting trashed every night so who knows. If it works for you, then go for it. My wife regularly takes unisom and likes it well enough.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I personally like sleeping with the TV softly playing long loops of powerful Lake Maracaibo thunderstorms. The wife is not a big fan, though. A longtime friend, however, swears by the one IPA plus one hong bit recipe for an early, lengthy & fully disorienting geez.