Quantcast

Sleep

T

Tenaciousle0

If I don't get about 9 to 9.5 hours of sleep every night, I'm tired all day. Does this come from using my energy reserves riding hard or is it just some messed up biological thing?

zibbler

Monkey
Well, how old are you, and how active are you? Generally, if you are still in your teen years you will require more sleep because your body is still growing and changing. And if you are physically more active on top of that, your body will require more rest on top of that.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Some people just need more sleep than others. Myself, if I don't get at least 7 hours, I am worthless all day.
The past 2 weeks, I've been lucky to get 5 1/2 hours per night.
:o: :o: :o: :o:

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
Originally posted by Tenaciousle0
If I don't get about 9 to 9.5 hours of sleep every night, I'm tired all day. Does this come from using my energy reserves riding hard or is it just some messed up biological thing?
yeah that's exactly me too, I've just never thought about it. So I guess being 15 has something to do with it

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
This may seem odd, but are you getting enough protein? I find if I eat too many carbs I feel sluggish and need lots of sleep. When I'm eating a fairly high protein diet, I can survive on little sleep and bound out of bed in the am. Might be something to consider.

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
actually that makes sense. I'm gonna try that for the next few days, because come to think of it, I don't get much protein at all.
Last night I slept for like 11 hours, and I still feel lazy.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
if i sleep for 7 hours i am ready to go. if i sleep between a 7 and 8.5 hours i feel sluggish. after 8.5 im ready to go again. getting too much sleep can make you sluggish all day. if i slept 11 hours i'd probably feel sick.

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by stringcheese
actually that makes sense. I'm gonna try that for the next few days, because come to think of it, I don't get much protein at all.
Last night I slept for like 11 hours, and I still feel lazy.
Just be sure you don't go too much the other way. If you start eating T Bones right before bed you won't be able to sleep. You need some carbs to help you calm down.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
Originally posted by laura
if i sleep for 7 hours i am ready to go. if i sleep between a 7 and 8.5 hours i feel sluggish. after 8.5 im ready to go again. getting too much sleep can make you sluggish all day. if i slept 11 hours i'd probably feel sick.
7 to 8 is supposed to be the best amount for you. My mom has seen several sleep experts and I have read some good articles about sleep that indicate 9 or more hrs is actually bad for you believe it or not (not including teens who may require more sleep) under 6 is bad as well. Over a long period of time, sleeping less than 6 hrs can really be a health hazard. One other fact, you never make up the damage done by lack of sleep,even if you sleep 8 hrs the day after you sleep 4 or 5. I know it sounds strange but that missed sleep can not be made up contrary to popular belief. straight from the sleep experts mouth (but what do they know)

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
Originally posted by 1speed

7 to 8 is supposed to be the best amount for you. My mom has seen several sleep experts and I have read some good articles about sleep that indicate 9 or more hrs is actually bad for you believe it or not (not including teens who may require more sleep) under 6 is bad as well. Over a long period of time, sleeping less than 6 hrs can really be a health hazard. One other fact, you never make up the damage done by lack of sleep,even if you sleep 8 hrs the day after you sleep 4 or 5. I know it sounds strange but that missed sleep can not be made up contrary to popular belief. straight from the sleep experts mouth (but what do they know)
You make it sound like if you go a few days without sleep you'll be tired for the rest of your life.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
Originally posted by Topaz

You make it sound like if you go a few days without sleep you'll be tired for the rest of your life.
they don't mean that you will remain tired (as we all know we feel like we "catch up" on sleep after lack of rest). a tired feeling is just temporary until you get a good nights sleep.
what has been explained to me rather is that the physical effects of not sleeping are hidden beyond the obvious tired feeling we have after lack of sleep. sleep is our bodys way of recharge/repairing itself.

I think you really have to consistently miss sleep over long periods of time for it to be detrimental.