Quantcast

slotted axles??

S

seth399

ey guys, dumb question here. I need a new rear wheel so I can get a sun set cheap with 14mm SLOTTED axles. Is slotted bad? or any weaker than the round? why would you want/need slotted and can I run them on my DK? thanks, im stupid

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by seth399
ey guys, dumb question here. I need a new rear wheel so I can get a sun set cheap with 14mm SLOTTED axles. Is slotted bad? or any weaker than the round? why would you want/need slotted and can I run them on my DK? thanks, im stupid

I'm no BMX'r, but are they slotted so that they don't twist in the dropout?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
As far as I can remember, it's so the axle can be wider yet still fit in the dropout.

That said, if you are talking about getting the Sun SUV wheelset, a friend of mine toasted the hubs on those pretty quick on a set he had a couple years ago. He is a real light/ smooth rider too. Maybe the newer wheels are better.

Good luck.

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
Slotted axles are for bikes with 3/8 dropouts to run 14mm axles. They are a pain in the ass and are not as strong. I bent my slotted axles in like 2 weeks. Solid 14mm axles, if they will fit on your bike, are the much better way to go. They also are a pain to thread the bolt on and have a tendency to strip out very easily.

<Edit> To answer your question, you can run them on 14mm dropouts. Just make sure you keep the slotted part perpendicular to the dropout or there will be a tendency of having your axle slip. Keep those nuts tight.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
and... depending on your frame -- a lot of good BMx shops'll machine out your dropouts from 3/8 to 14mil for ya ........ can cause warranty issues with some companies, tho.........

S

seth399

ah screw it. IM goin with 14mm solids. i have 14mm dropouts front/rear. Thanks for the info, i do grind so I dont wanna run into trouble