Quantcast

Slut Socks

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
Okay, ladies and gents, I'm interested to hear folks' opinions on the new Sock Guy "slut" socks. I personally own a pair of SG "bitch" socks (though I really only wear them when I have pants on and nobody can see them:rolleyes: ).

At Sea Otter, I was walking around the expo area and saw the booth, and decided to check out the "girlie" socks. There are some nice designs, but when I saw the "slut" socks, I took a double take and then kind of had my mouth hanging open.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings on this, but I was truthfully a little embarassed for anyone who wears them.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have the bitch ones too! When I worked downtown in San Diego I would take spin classes at the Hillcrest gym up the street. Hillcrest is a primarily homosexual area and all the guys at the gym loved those socks! :)

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Heidi said:
I have the bitch ones too! When I worked downtown in San Diego I would take spin classes at the Hillcrest gym up the street. Hillcrest is a primarily homosexual area and all the guys at the gym loved those socks! :)
Oh yes....Hillcrest. I love that place. I'm from Massachusetts (first state to legalize gay marriage), and used to teach near a town called Northampton (2nd most GLBT-friendly area next to Provincetown. The first time I drove through Hillcrest, it felt like I was back in MA.

You used to live in San Diego?! I'm only 15 minutes east...How do you like Bend?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have the "bitch" socks too and they're funny! Mine are the pink ones with the script writing, but the bike shop also had black ones with white print. Not sure that I would appreciate the "slut" socks though.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
stephanie said:
Oh yes....Hillcrest. I love that place. I'm from Massachusetts (first state to legalize gay marriage), and used to teach near a town called Northampton (2nd most GLBT-friendly area next to Provincetown. The first time I drove through Hillcrest, it felt like I was back in MA.

You used to live in San Diego?! I'm only 15 minutes east...How do you like Bend?
Yep, I last lived in East County!

I love it here. Wish I'd moved earlier.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
TreeSaw said:
I have the "bitch" socks too and they're funny! Mine are the pink ones with the script writing, but the bike shop also had black ones with white print. Not sure that I would appreciate the "slut" socks though.
yep, mine are the pink/red ones (it's harder to see that it says "bitch" from far away). i did have the black/white ones but gave them away to a friend of mine who wanted them really badly.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
stephanie said:
Does it rain A LOT (relatively speaking, of course)?!
No, that is the biggest misunderstanding about Bend. We are in the high desert, just like San Diego so we don't get rain like the rest of the state that you hear about. Our average rainfall is only something like 5 inches more than San Diego.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
stephanie said:
What I want to know is where the double standard is going to end?!:mumble:

If there are "bitch", "slut", etc socks, where are all the "gigolo" socks?! "a$$h*le" socks?!
I've seen guys wearing the Arrogant Bastard jerseys. I'd wear socks that said "Drunkard", "Stinky" or "Destroyer of Relationships". That last one may have to be spread across both socks...

:rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
What is wrong with truth in advertising?

(H8R ducks behind desk)

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Took 'em long enough to make a production run!!!!!! I saw these at interbike a few years ago (purple/pink and green/purple) and was told to my dismay that they were a special promo for some of the dealers :( A couple of months later I called Sock Guy to inquire about them and one of the guys sent me 3 pairs they still had left over from that batch!! :D :D :D And yes, I wear them proudly.

I also have their Bitch, Vixen, and Hottie socks. I can understand that they may not be for everyone, but I personally think they're great. It's taking a derogetory stereotype and saying "f-you" to everyone.

The Beaver socks are hysterical! I can only guess that the all women team in our area, The Speedy Beavers, will be sporting those this year!

Oh, and they did at one point have Bastard socks (Freak has a pair of 'em).

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Sock Guy sponsors a local Seattle team: www.speedybeaverracing.com
Could be one place he's getting some of his suggestions/ideas.

Edit: I was reading a 'Bike' magazine last night with a gear buying guide. Sock Guy had a page and the new products were shown with tag lines. The 'Slut' socks said: "We don't mean this a bad way. Be proud, stand tall."

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I've got some terry "ride like a girl" socks that I have had people try to buy off me, they didn't make very many of those. Harlot wear has the "ride like a harlot', have some of those too. The only ones I really want that I don't have yet, and I have a lot, are the PMS socks. I don't think I'd wear "slut" socks, but I'd wear "sock slut" socks, go figure...

gg

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
geargrrl said:
I've got some terry "ride like a girl" socks that I have had people try to buy off me, they didn't make very many of those. Harlot wear has the "ride like a harlot', have some of those too. The only ones I really want that I don't have yet, and I have a lot, are the PMS socks. I don't think I'd wear "slut" socks, but I'd wear "sock slut" socks, go figure...

gg
i definitely fall into the latter category on that one, too.

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
Velocity Girl said:
I also have their Bitch, Vixen, and Hottie socks. I can understand that they may not be for everyone, but I personally think they're great. It's taking a derogetory stereotype and saying "f-you" to everyone.
Totally. i just hope that people understand that. It's similar to the Foucaultian term - reverse discourse. It's like taking back a word or image that is usually used in a derogatory way and making it a positive thing. Like...the mudflap girl image socks. Same idea. I wear them in an ironic way, not wear them bc I really like sillouettes of women on my clothing. Let's take back the term slut! Ok, that's going a little too far. But, you get my point...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
grizgal said:
Totally. i just hope that people understand that. It's similar to the Foucaultian term - reverse discourse. It's like taking back a word or image that is usually used in a derogatory way and making it a positive thing. Like...the mudflap girl image socks. Same idea. I wear them in an ironic way, not wear them bc I really like sillouettes of women on my clothing. Let's take back the term slut! Ok, that's going a little too far. But, you get my point...
Yup, totally get your point and agree with it. When I was in my early twenties I don't know if I would have felt the same way, but now in my early thirties and I am more confident in who I am and in my sexuality. And to be honest I really don't give a rats a** anymore if someone actaully thought I was a slut (or a prude, or gay, or straight). I'm happy and comfortable with it so that's all that matter :D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
tn got the bitch socks for me when I still lived at home with my parents. My mom was helping me get laundry together one night, saw them, and was horrified the i would wear such a thing. One of them suspiciously came up missing not long after that. Now I wear my bitch sock with my pink skull sock.

'Slut' I'm not digging so much.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
hmmmm...although I see the humor/sarcasm in them...I wouldn't buy a pair of any of them...but I also wouldn't be caught wearing a shirt that has a saying like that on it either...not a fan of the hottie or sexy shirts...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
grizgal said:
Wow, That's a little little deep for a pair of socks...

I too, have the bastard socks, as well as the XXX socks.