Quantcast

SLX cassette - lose the 13t?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So, I've established that I have an SLX cassette (10 speed). It is a great

I've just ordered up a 42t cog from Wolftooth, and it will be arriving in a week or so. I am aware that they say compatibility is with XT or XTR, so I have ordered up and XT. Alas, it is on backorder the better part of 2 months. (Don't ask why I don't get it from somewhere else, suffice to say, it is because I can be a bit of an impulse-buying dumb dumb from time to time)

Question: will the the 11t cog butt properly against the 15t cog on an SLX cassette? If so, I can take out the 13t cog (instead of the 17t cog as they recommend) and Bob will still be my uncle.

I am aware that the shift from 11 to 15 and vice versa will be a pretty huge jump, but I never linger down in the depths of my cassette for long, so I'd doubt I'll consider it a deal breaker.

What say the Shimano nerds out there?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
procurement of XT cassette has been expedited. I'll still try to get it to work with the SLX and see how it goes...

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Or you could do this if you want to play with it a bit: SLX drill out. Replacement of 19T+21T cog with 20T seems optional, if you lose the 17T as per Wolftooth's recommendation should be enough.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The weather is pretty crappy, so I think I'll just wait for my XT cassette to show up.

As for the ratios, with a 32 up front, I still spend a lot of time up in my top 4 cogs.

With the 30t NW I'm putting on, I plan to be using more of my cassette. And having a bigger jump down in the taller gears doesn't really bother me. I very rarely find myself pedalling while going downhill around here, more braking and holding on for dear life.

Pretty curious how this is going to feel.