Quantcast

Small caliber Hi power choice

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
OK fellas, looking to build something small caliber and hi power for some long range varmint action, bbut I am also looking for something that is going to be capable of shooting the heavier projectiles accurately.

Basically I want to play with the prairie dogs all summer, and be able to go with heavier for the 600 yard range come antelope and deer season

What say you and why?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well I have the 30 06 for deer and elk, and if need I have the 8mm as well for just brutal impact... And of course... Reloading.

Centerfire is my definitive preference, I was set on a 22_250, but the fastest barrel I can find is a 1/12.

I have looked at the 25 a few times, maybe will look a lot closer this weekend

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Honestly you probably have more experience than me. I see the 22-250 as a varmit machine but not really the ideal choice out to 600yds or for deer. The 25-06 is more versatile and still a great prairie dogger, especially reloading with lighter bullet weights.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well I think I might give the 25 06 a go. Will be hitting up the local gun shows to find a large ring Mauser 98. Hopefully on the cheap since the plan will be to restock and rebarrel it, remove the standard safety swith to a timney trigger with safety.

Will load bench match rounds for this one when its done. Should be fun project.

Tim300wsm

sensitive teenager
Jul 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
I am planning a 260ai or a 6xc for medium to long range. 25-06 is a good round but bullet selection is low and it's a barrel burner. Also there are so many great rounds that work on a short action there really is no need for a long action short of big game hunting. I have a 300wsm and a 6br both on large shank savage actions you can get a used savage on the cheap and they build an incredibly accurate rifle for the money invested.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Been loading 300wsm for a friend... Costly is what I will say and not finding any advantage over my 30 06. The 300wsm is more of a barrel burner than the 25 06.

Either way, as of now I am still sitting on an action, a fried 8mm Mauser barrel, and a nice stock. Still on the look out for what barrel I want to use and deciding if I want to drill and tap the action or use an old style scope mount the old mausers used.

Tim300wsm

sensitive teenager
Jul 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
The 300wsm is most definitely hard on barrels. I have that for the Williamsport 1000 yard club. Have you thought of a 284 winchester or a 6.5 x 284 they would play hell on just about anything and 6.5 and 7mm both have an amazing selection of bullets. Winchester makes brass so it would be affordable to load and they are at their best in a long action

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah I looked at a bunch of that stuff. Just want something in the small caliber range.

25 is going to be out at this point, just looking for something smaller and faster. If I do anything 6.5 it's gonna be a creedmore

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Soft brass is meh, soft gets more reloads. I mean once it's fire formed it will hold its shape. Any of my rifle brass gets anealed to soften it anyways. When it really comes down to it the chamber is the strength, the case is just that, a case to hold it all. At least with soft brass you have less chance of a rupture