Quantcast

Smaller custom frame builder websites?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i was aware of that, but i'm obsessed with this bike
Thanks for saying that...it allows the opportunity to ask:

What is it about his bikes that people enjoyed? Serious question. I look at them and I see a hundred other steel builders' bikes that look similar. My one grumble about Moyer was that nothing struck me as unique or different. It was just another steel, sometimes lugged, bike.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I dig the custom bike window display at Portland airport. It is such a welcome sight to see after navigating Dante's Inferno, aka security line.
Is this it? I don't recall seeing it, but I also haven't flown in a while.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
i was aware of that, but i'm obsessed with this bike

thanks for all the links! lookin' forward to checking them out!
Holy 64 tooth chainring batman...doin' the Kamikaze soon? Jeeez...

I dig the fixie...I would like to own a fixed gear, but I don't wanna be associated with the trendy crowd

Squirrel approved specifically for the bottle!!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The "best" custom builder is the one who is closest to you, and builds bikes that you like.

If ilived in Gainesville, Fl
http://villincycleworks.com/
would be my favorite.

Since I live in Mass,
I'm my favorite, and www.nfgcycles.com who works here is my 2nd favorite.

I am partial to no-frills, no artifice simple bicycles, but Lex and the crew at Villin make art-bikes that get me moist.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
Thanks for saying that...it allows the opportunity to ask:

What is it about his bikes that people enjoyed? Serious question. I look at them and I see a hundred other steel builders' bikes that look similar. My one grumble about Moyer was that nothing struck me as unique or different. It was just another steel, sometimes lugged, bike.
I can't speak for anyone else...I just stumbled across that bike on Flickr and initially, I just dug the color scheme. There's nothing specific about it that does it for me, just the overall aesthetic. I like the graphic design of the logo and the "m"s, too.

i do love the little texas shape on the top tube!

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
The "best" custom builder is the one who is closest to you, and builds bikes that you like.

If ilived in Gainesville, Fl
http://villincycleworks.com/
would be my favorite.

Since I live in Mass,
I'm my favorite, and www.nfgcycles.com who works here is my 2nd favorite.

I am partial to no-frills, no artifice simple bicycles, but Lex and the crew at Villin make art-bikes that get me moist.

those dimpled lugs at Villin were interesting, i've never seen that done before.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You build those Skeletors? If so, how do you keep the price so cheap?
We build them in batches of 25 and have the tubes made for them 100+ a time. And when we receive very large PO's for them, we have a contract shop out on Oregon build them as well.

Custom frames are still $1400+ like they should be.

It's all about balance.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Hows business going? Has there been a drop since the economy went in the sh!tter? I love the cross bike you posted photos of
Still chugging along. Not terrible but not insanely busy either. It works out OK since my wife and I just had our first child six weeks ago. I don't have as much time to get work done these days.