Quantcast

Snow coming to some monkeys

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
A lot of you are going to see some snow soon, good luck!

I'm glad my area doesn't get crippled when some snow flies like most of New England.

Stock up on beer and bacon! Enjoy

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Winter Storm Nemo :think: when did they start naming winter storms?
im glad we arent getting that much. mail trucks are horrible in the snow

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
im glad we arent getting that much. mail trucks are horrible in the snow
Angry little Jon has been bitching about the winter storm names, pretty lame.

How fast can those s hit box mail trucks go?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I can remember several significant storms growing up in Chicago, 16-20", drifts 4-5 feet, just crippling the whole area.
Big cities are no place to be in a blizzard.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I can remember several significant storms growing up in Chicago, 16-20", drifts 4-5 feet, just crippling the whole area.
Big cities are no place to be in a blizzard.
chicago...the reason my dad retired/forced to retire....didn't want to move there...

colorado blizzards....why i'm no longer a resident....

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I love blizzards in New York. Great to watch and I can go sledding with the boys in the park. I don't have to drive and normally the subways gets up and running quickly.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Claus, let's meet up and build some huge snow jumps in Prospect Saturday. Then send the kids down while we sit back and watch and sip whiskey.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am pretty confident I am not going to die. However we need to consider that all those not capable of surviving are the weaker amongst us and afford us an opportunity to enhance our resources.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I am pretty confident I am not going to die. However we need to consider that all those not capable of surviving are the weaker amongst us and afford us an opportunity to enhance our resources.
ie, if you can't drive in the snow, don't drive in the snow.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Is that why they always have chains on when there are just a couple inches of snow?
Yep. Ive only driven mine in a few inches of snow and it is teh suck. I wanted to put the chains on but we aren't allowed..plus I get paid by the hour, so if im late to return its not my fault. Some towns put weights in their trucks but we of course don't have fancy things like that.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Storms have always been named since they started using computer models but its a lot easier than saying we are tracking storm 2322343 or whatever numerical naming system they used prior internally.

Just like computer file systems have gotten past 8 character limits, lack of case, command line interfaces, visible file extensions etc for ease of use for the average person.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Storms have always been named since they started using computer models but its a lot easier than saying we are tracking storm 2322343 or whatever numerical naming system they used prior internally.
nope
Several decades after hurricanes first got formal names, some blizzards in the USA this winter will get their own names, too.

The Weather Channel will assign the monikers, "the first time a national organization in North America will proactively name winter storms," the network reports.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/nation/2012/10/02/snowstorm-blizzard-names-weather-channel/1606531/

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Internal and external numbers/names serve the same purpose - to identify one storm from another. Ron at NOAA has a clue, you don't.