Quantcast

Snowblowers

Shear pins are bolts that serve as the mechanical equivanent to a fuse.

They hold the spiral first stage gubbins to the shaft that drives it. When you mistakenly ingest a rock or a hammer or something else buried in the snow, they shear off and you just install another one.

They protect you from more expensive repairs.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Ian F said:
so I did... sounds great... also reads like a bunch of Popular Science articles... in which I've been reading about hi-tech 2-stroke for years... but have yet to see one. If this technology does happen (and it looks like it will) it'll likely be some time before it trickles down to your weed-whacker.

So, given the old tech on which 95% of 2-strokes still operate, my statement stands.

Agree with you, look for Deere to pull out a DI weed eater within the next 2 years though. They have a simple system that will meet any emission. I've been fortunate enough to own Injected 2-strokes and there is no compromise. One of my race sleds had DI, better throttle response, half the fuel consumption of a carbed machine, and runs better in all conditions. No compromise IMO. Their out there, Evinrude has likely the most advanced DI system on the market right now. Do a search for FICHT or Orbital systems, been around for many years, pressurize fuel to about 300 psi and time the intake ports. Yamaha has a similar system except fuel is pressurized to over 700 psi.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
To kinda simplify what I said earlier, in my limited (as in # tried, not time spent using them) snowblower experience, high HB is best if you worry about monster snowbanks or frequent big storms. New England doesn't get many mega storms. Unless your driveway is 50' wide at the street, more hp may not make that big a difference in the overall time it takes to clear your driveway.
Last winter, my dad did a bunch of work to ours. The biggest part of it was painting over the rust spots that had developed over 20 years, and replacing the scraper blade that was no longer functioning. HUGE difference. We though the thing was dying, but it is now going strong.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
I should actually add a worthy post to this thread, please move away from your box store machinery. We have a family business that is a MTD/Briggs/Techuseh/Onan/Kohler warranty depot, and we sure see our fair share of cheaper box store or price point equipment. Your making the right choice by looking at a Honda, Toro, JD, or even take a look at a cub Cadet. All very well built mahcines that will last you many years without trouble with proper care. In this case, you get what you pay for. May be high initially, but over the years it pays itself off nicely

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I just picked up an 8hp John Deere. MAKE SURE you absolutely get an electric start. Without out it i would shoot myself. Tryiong to pull start an engine when it is 30 below out is NOT fun when nothing want sto turn over,

I got the wheel drive, which seems to work just fine, and is a bit more easier to park due to being able to put it in neutral and spin it on a dime. 6 forward gears, 2 reverse. - gimmicky handwarmers etc.

I think it was about 1600 canadian, 36" i think?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
GeoffW said:
I should actually add a worthy post to this thread, please move away from your box store machinery. We have a family business that is a MTD/Briggs/Techuseh/Onan/Kohler warranty depot, and we sure see our fair share of cheaper box store or price point equipment. Your making the right choice by looking at a Honda, Toro, JD, or even take a look at a cub Cadet. All very well built mahcines that will last you many years without trouble with proper care. In this case, you get what you pay for. May be high initially, but over the years it pays itself off nicely

lets see theres probably at least 50x more box store machines sold, and you "sure see our fair share" of them in for repair :rolleyes:

johnbryanpeters said:
Shear pins are bolts that serve as the mechanical equivanent to a fuse.

They hold the spiral first stage gubbins to the shaft that drives it. When you mistakenly ingest a rock or a hammer or something else buried in the snow, they shear off and you just install another one.

They protect you from more expensive repairs.

this is from Toro:

Shear pin
In most non-Toro snowthrowers, a shear pin is used to connect the auger to the auger shaft. It is designed to break (shear) on
impact when the auger is jarred by a solid object, protecting the auger gear case from failure. When this occurs, the shear pin
must be removed and replaced. Instead of troublesome, small, soft shear pins, Toro's heavy-duty gear case allows for the use of
5/16" diameter, grade 5 bolts. Failure is virtually eliminated.

Does that mean I don't have them?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
It sounds like it. I'd also wonder what would happen to that torro if/when you hit a chunk of ice that the auger can't crush/throw. In most machines, the sheer pin breaks, and you have to replace a $5 pin. On the torro, what breaks?

jacksonpt said:
It sounds like it. I'd also wonder what would happen to that torro if/when you hit a chunk of ice that the auger can't crush/throw. In most machines, the sheer pin breaks, and you have to replace a $5 pin. On the torro, what breaks?

I'm going to be sure to ask the dealer when I go!!

see - I always learn something new when I ask questions here! :)

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
douglas said:
lets see theres probably at least 50x more box store machines sold, and you "sure see our fair share" of them in for repair :rolleyes:
Yes, your right on that count, but pull a box store version apart and a well built model like a Toro or JD and check it out. Gearboxes and transmissions are better built in the higher end stuff and I feel it's worth the coin. I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, only stating experiences from working on teh stuff, I've got factory training from Briggs, Kohler, and Techumseh and have been around the stuff for a while

J

JRB

Nice - I would also like to thank you for bringing closure to a thread. I love when that happens. I hate the whole, tell me what you think, and we never find out what someone did instances. Good work :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
IAB - Methinks you should use that snowblowr and blow all the snow into a jump - pack it down, smooth it out and we'll hit it with our bikeys this winter! :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
you know of course that the simple act of buying that thing means no significant snow for the next 4 winters.
Cool that means a longer fall/early winter riding season and an earlier spring start here in New England!!! :dancing: :dancing:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
IAB - Methinks you should use that snowblowr and blow all the snow into a jump - pack it down, smooth it out and we'll hit it with our bikeys this winter! :)
WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of you, bro. :cool: This thing can shoot snow clear over the neigbor's driveway.

narlus said:
you know of course that the simple act of buying that thing means no significant snow for the next 4 winters.
Then it's money well spent!!