Quantcast

Snowmass and Aspen Info Needed

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Morning CO Monkies!

I am looking for some info on rides and rentals around Snowmass and Aspen. I will be staying in Snowmass Village for a week at the end of July and will have a car. Being from the east coast I'm quite used to super techy trails so don't hold back. But that said, I would like to ride some smooth, fast, swoopy stuff (I get enough techy around here).

This is the week before the 24 Hours of Great Glen so I will be using the week to fine tune my preparations and fitness. I plan on doing a hard 3-4 hours in the morning and a more mellow 1.5-2 hour ride in the afternoon.

For a bike I would like a good all mountain bike with 140mm of travel since that is what I am riding now (my next bike will probably have a little more travel). But I guess if the trails aren't as rocky as I'm used to I could probably get away with less as long as it can handle the occasional 4 foot drop. Good disc brakes are a must as well.

Ride leaders would also be appreciated. Though I'm not afraid of maps and I will have my gps.

I would also be up for a road ride or two. I'm more of a casual road rider tho. I'd like to keep the rides under 70 miles and an elevation gain of 4000'. I don't think my neck and hands would be able to handle a longer ride than that. Half those numbers would be fine. Again, info on rentals would be useful here as well.

I might also be into doing a few hikes while I'm there as well.

And finally, any info on the local scene would be greatly appreciated. Restaurants, shops, entertainment, scenic spots, hot springs, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
The lift runs from Wednesday to Sunday. I might not use it anyway. Sitting on the chair lift isn't very good training. :)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Government Trail is a must for sure, runs from Snowmass Village to Aspen (or the other way I suppose). There is a local shop in Snowmass Village the rents bikes, not sure what they have. I would check out Ute City Cycles in Carbondale, which is up the road a ways (20-30 minutes?) but will probably have better selection. There's a ton of great stuff near Carbondale as well, here's two links to that area as well as the SMV area to get you started:

http://www.trailcentral.com/trail/trail_county.php?county=Garfield&state=CO
http://www.trailcentral.com/trail/trail_county.php?county=Pitkin&state=CO

I'm a Denver guy, but have ridden a little bit over there. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. Maybe try the Colorado forums over on MTBR? Ridemonkey CO Forum seems fairly vacant lately...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
2nd Gov'ment Trail. You def want to do it from Snowmass to Aspen, it's almost all downhill, best done as a shuttle, IMO. Altho Lance Armstrong has been seen doing it the other way...

Also check into Smugglers trail. The opposite mtn from Apex mtn (Aspen). Sweet views, fun trail.

The dudes you rent your bike from will know, too. I'm pretty sure there's a bike/ski shop in the mall area of snowmass that rents bikes. They're on the same "level" as where you'd get your lift tix, but towards the parking lot.

bullithead

Chimp
May 27, 2009
I lived in Snowmass for 17 years and used to be the summer lift operations manager there. Just moved to NC but returning to Snowmass in a couple of years. Anyhow, here is the scoop:

Rental: Gene Taylor's in Snowmass Village Mall
Bring shoes and pedals if you ride clipless.
They have Kona bikes of all flavors.
Tell em' Taka recommended you.

Rides: The lift is good for making laps on a freeride/dh bike. Not much
vertical but it is fun for awhile. Definitely worth the $10 or so.
It also allows you quicker access to Government Trail and Cross
Mountain. If you are there to train, you might as well just start
pedaling from the Mall. The xc ride that you must hit is:

Sleighride Trail>Ditch Trail>Connector>West Government>
Village Bound>Work Rd>Cross Mountain>East Government>Aspen.

If you are a sadist, you can then go up Smuggler and ride Hunter
Creek. There are buses which take you back to Snowmass.
Ask the guys at Gene Taylor's. They are good people. Also hit up
the Snowmass Rangers. They can help you find the above ride
as well. There is always a Ranger at the bottom or top of the
Burlingame Lift. You are in for some EPIC riding!! Have fun.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Is it worth it to drive over to Crested Butte for a day trip? They are having their Fat Tire Bike Week that week and I figure I can just demo bikes all day. Google says it is only 40 miles from Snomass Village but it looks like half of it might be dirt roads. If so is the road passable in an economy rental car?

Thanks,
Kevin

bullithead

Chimp
May 27, 2009
Crested Butte kicks ass. However, it is a LONG day trip. 4 hours each way if Kebler Pass is open, which it is in the summer. Gotta drive back downvalley to Carbondale, over McClure Pass, over Kebler Pass, then you're there.

stflood

Chimp
Oct 6, 2008
can you do the snowmass to aspen trail on a dh bike? how long is it? im goin out there in july also for the nat'l champs and will be hanging around for a week or so.

bullithead

Chimp
May 27, 2009
It can be done but won't be that much fun. My XC setup is a Bullit with a 7" boxxer. However, I have a front derraileur with a little ring so it's not too bad. A full blown DH bike would be painful. Lots of pushing.

Crested Butte kicks ass. However, it is a LONG day trip. 4 hours each way if Kebler Pass is open, which it is in the summer. Gotta drive back downvalley to Carbondale, over McClure Pass, over Kebler Pass, then you're there.
You can make that drive in 3 hrs, we've done it in 2.5 from Carbondale towing a trailer.

Or you could rent a Jeep and head over Pearl Pass!