Quantcast

snowmass?

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Yo Alex! Snowmass had the same courses as last year, dry conditions for both DH and MX with a little rain sprinkled in here and there. It felt like a national with many big names and fast riders participating. Graves destroyed MX with Work coming in 2nd. DH, very dusty and loose! No times yet cause the timing people screwed up as they had been all weekend. People seriously wanted to riot. Injured Mike Kreger kept things rolling on the microphone as well. Not too many happy racers after the timing issues, very long days but BF productions provided awesome courses. Tent city located underneath the chairlift was huge! I think Leov took the DH win, Everything else is all screwed up though!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I just got the updated track descriptions for the Snowmass National, looks like they're gonna have a different base area for that race than they normally do, and the tracks are going to be changed as well. Something about temporary trail permits or something.

http://www.snowmassnational.com/DH.htm said:
Another new course for 2007 – the Paul Mitchell Snowmass Downhill presented by Fox Racing Shox promises to reward the rider that can be patient and daring all within the same rum. Featuring classic Snowmass high speed open sections and tree-lined single track descents – this downhill will be one that racers remember for many years to come. This course will be the perfect course to crown the National Mountain Bike Series Champion on.

Finishing just above the Two Creeks base area will relieve racers from what would have been a slight pedal to the finish line – now the can finish with all the speed and momentum they can carry through some very challenging downhill terrain.

Many thanks to the Aspen Skiing Company for efforting the “temporary” permit from the United States Forest Service to run the downhill at Two Creeks. Also many thank to the private homeowners, the Two Creeks Homeowners Association and the Town of Snowmass Village for acquiring all the permissions and permits to make this course work.

Access will be from the Two Creeks Base Area – lift tickets are required for both spectators and racers for $20.00 for the four days of the event – August 9-12. Tickets are only available for all four days – no single day tickets will be sold.
EDIT: Bummer to hear about the timing issues. That keeps plaguing the series this year, doesn't it?

godzilla

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005
I shot the president of RRC an e-mail this AM and got this response about 15 minutes later:

Josh,

Thanks for the email. If you have ever had the feeling of being embarrassed, gut wrenching feeling, multiply that feeling by 8 people, times 1000, and for three days, and you'll know how I feel and the rest of my staff feels this morning. We have gone three days without sleeping trying to get these results correct. You have know idea how much we care. This has been the worst event experience we have ever had in five years.

There were a bunch of things that were beyond our control. And then the small issues snowballed into a huge mess that has taken us crazy amounts of time to fix. There were so many riders that either did not have information, lost their chips, transferred chips, rode with the wrong chip, had two bib numbers (which we still don't understand), etc.

This was a definite learning experience for us. We have timed lots of events and never had any errors. This was our first time doing mountain bikes, and we failed. Please except my apology, do not blame Big Foot and pass my apologies on to your fellow riders. We're still cranking out the final results. The only positive thing is that we have everyone's results down to the 1000th of a second accurate. We just have to match up make sure everyone is matched up correctly.

Regards,

Jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 11:10 AM
To: jeff@redrockco.com
Subject: Snowmass

Jeff-

What gives? It would appear that your company does not take the task it is paid for all that seriously. Those of us who race take these matters very seriously – it is no small issue that many of us forked out several hundred dollars and drove a considerable distance to race at Snowmass – all for nothing if we have inaccurate (or no) results. Why was there not a backup system in place, given that this application of RFID technology is relatively new?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=319134

http://www.racemsc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=757

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2604660#post2604660

Hope to hear from you soon,

Josh

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
Yeah the whole timing mess was pretty bad. I was not racing but even as a spectator it was very frustrating. I realize they were hammering the bugs out of a new timing system so some slack needs to given. I guess it was better that it happened at this race than the finals in August, I hope they can get it figured out by then.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, the courses looked great. Looked like everybody was having a great time. Props to Mike and the BF crew for putting it together on that front! Looking forward to the Finals!

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
Yes, seeing how much trouble they had with the timing first hand, I am not surprised that there would be some inconsistencies.

Cory Ross (1st in SemiPro) is a team Covic Racing/Kowa rider. He is very fast and has been inching closer to the podium all year. He had a solid race run in Snowmass, but even he has his doubts that it was that fast. I doubt anyone will ever know for sure.