Quantcast

Snowshoe Race #3/Monsterpark

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Alrighty Mudhunnies. This will be my first attempt at a race re-cap...and I've got pictures!!

My boyfriend and I headed out for race #3 at Snowshoe, WV on Thursday 8/17. It was our 3rd race and both of us we're looking forward to the race and then watching the pros at Monster Park on Sunday.

If you haven't heard Snowshoe has a reputation of always being sloppy muddy all the time....well not this weekend. The conditions were perfect, even a little too dry at times. The course was super fast with some long rocky fireroad sections that you just had to let off the brakes and hold on. The top of the course was a section of berms followed by a huge 30ft road gap (for the pros...intros and most amatuers went around)

Dhchix, myself and a couple of other woman racers hooked up for some runs on Friday which was a blast! It was great getting to ride with some other women. I rode almost all day on Friday hitting the course 3-4 times and then actually getting some runs down the freeride side of the mountain. That side is full of roots and down right dangerous most of the time in the wet :hot: so I was happy to get to ride it while it was dry. :rofl:

Saturday I took one run down the course and then they posted start times. I was the first one in my category (Intro women) and the first one down the course for the day!! I was happy to get out first!:)

My run went great with no wrecks and no problems at all. Here's the only picture I have. It's in section of new trail that was very loose and dusty.

At the bottom of the course as I was waiting for my boyfriend to finish I talked for awhile with one of the other woman in my class who had beaten me by 2 seconds in my last race at Wisp. She was nursing a bruise after wrecking in her run. Turns out this was only her second race and was also coming from a XC background like myself. Good to talk to her and I'm hoping she'll be up for the last race so we can get some runs in together. My boyfriend finally came down, unfortunately he came across the finish with a flat. He was not happy. :mad:

We took the lift back up and dropped off the bikes and gear and hiked down to watch the rest of the racing. Snowshoe got a record turnout with 250 racers, I think it was double the amount of race #2.
We set up at the road gap and snapped pics.

Here's DHchix in her race run.

And here's Missy Giove, the only woman to hit the jump.

I ended up winning my Intro class with a 6.15.09 and was surprised to see I was only 3 seconds off of the winning woman's amateur time.:) With 17 woman racing in 3 classes my time came in 6th overall. I was thrilled :)

We stuck around for Monster Park on Sunday only to have the competion eventually rained out and rescheduled for Monday. I did snap some pics of practice.

All in all it was a fantastic weekend and I can't wait for the 4th and final race in the series on Sept 9-10th. It was great to meet some new people out there and get to ride with some other women! DH racing is so much fun, everyone is so supportive.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Congrats on the race! I've been to Snowshoe once and some of the trails out there are really hard. I've never went over to the Monster Park side though.

AND if you were only 3 seconds off the winning amateur time you should move up, bet you'd be the winner next time :) Again congrats!

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
Cool pics! It was fun getting to ride with you this weekend. I had a good time and I hope we can do it again at the next race. The course was super fast and so dusty. I felt like the bike was going to slide out from under me in the corners because the ground was so loose. After the race I hooked up with Missy Giove and took a few runs down the trail. Missy is so COOL and loves to share information about biking. I look forward to the next race and seeing what the new trail will bring. VT....Congrats on your win!

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
weimie said:
AND if you were only 3 seconds off the winning amateur time you should move up, bet you'd be the winner next time :) Again congrats!
I realize I need to move up but my first race ever was at Snowshoe in July and I entered and won Intro (against one other woman) so that's where my points are. I asked lots of people's opinions after that win and they said to stay put for this year. If I moved up to amateur this year at SS I would lose my points and since I planned on racing the whole series I stayed in the same category. Next year I will race amateur for sure.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
VT - AWESOME JOB!!! I am SO glad to see pics of you rippin' up the trails :thumb: The first DH ride I ever took (on that bike) was at Snowshoe and I am so glad to see him (that bike was always a him to me) enjoying his new home :D

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story with the rest of us!

I left Snowshoe Friday morning after being at Shaums March's bike camp there earlier in the week... sorry I missed you and the other women. There was only one other woman enrolled in the camp... most of the other campers were teenage boys.

See you at Snowshoe race #4! I'm Jenn, BTW!

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story with the rest of us!

I left Snowshoe Friday morning after being at Shaums March's bike camp there earlier in the week... sorry I missed you and the other women. There was only one other woman enrolled in the camp... most of the other campers were teenage boys.

See you at Snowshoe race #4! I'm Jenn, BTW!
What did you think of the camp? Was it helpful? I sure could use some instruction on drops. They've been giving away some free entries into next year's camp as prizes at the races.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
VT Mtbkr said:
What did you think of the camp? Was it helpful? I sure could use some instruction on drops. They've been giving away some free entries into next year's camp as prizes at the races.
The camp was really good for me. I wrote about it a bit at my blog, Conversations with Mud. I'd recommend Shaums' camp to anybody! There were four pro instructors, including two women: Kelli Sherbinin and Gale Dahlager.

I'm hoping I'll get to meet or at least lay eyes on Missy Giove at the Sept. race. She and Marla Streb are my main biking inspiration. I've met Marla but not the Missile herself. I was pretty bummed to leave Snowshoe Friday morning knowing Missy would probably get there soon. I kept looking for her in oncoming traffic, to no avail.