Quantcast

Snowshoe Super-D course

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Any idea as to what its going to be like? (Beyond the obvious) I was there last year and was wandering if they would just send it down the first long dh section of the xc course. On the schedule, they have the practice time listed as being the 1 hour (or maybe 2?) immediately before the race. Kinda strange. My gf is racing it and was looking for info that would help her decide which bike to use.

Epic w/ discs and 3" fork
Enduro w/ 2 rings, discs, 5" travel both ends or
SGS Pro
The Enduro is mine and seems to be the logical choice, but that also means hauling 1 more bike down with us.

Thanks.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I still don't understand the format of Super D?

IF I knew the course layout, I'd definitely be tempted to sign up and race...but it's unknown. I've got a hardtail and a DHR.

One sucks at Snowshoe at speed and the other rips on anything angled downhill....but if there is an uphill or more than 1 uphill...it would SUCK!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Format of Super D? Think DH circa 1996, but often mass-start (Big Bear had a le-mans start). There will most definetly be climbs and flat sections.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
EDIT
The idea is that you do not need a full-blown DH bike to be competitive. A DH bike might even slow you down b/c of the (normaly small) climbs. If you saw the MBA with the Downieville coverage and the big pic of Mark Weir with his "custom" Dare, that is a Super-D bike(Fox pro-pedal air shock rear, Fox Fork at 5") . There will be uphills. A hardtail might not be enough, but from what I know, trail bikes are ideal. 2 chainringsd is also a big plus.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Originally posted by Repack
Its still a one-at-a-time time trial, like DH. Super D was "invented" (but inspired by older races) at Big Bear a couple of years ago. The idea is that you do not need a full-blown DH bike to be competitive. A DH bike might even slow you down b/c of the (normaly small) climbs. If you saw the MBA with the Downieville coverage and the big pic of Mark Weir with his "custom" Dare, that is a Super-D bike(Fox pro-pedal air shock rear, Fox Fork at 5") . There will be uphills. A hardtail might not be enough, but from what I know, trail bikes are ideal. 2 chainringsd is also a big plus.
hhmmmmm, won't have a 5 SPOT until late June or August so I guess that event is out....

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
The Super D at Snowshoe will be run on the same side of the mountain as the downhill courses. Pretty much Cupp Cake to STP road (climb) to Rock Garden to lower Ball-'n the Jack (another climb). Theres a bit of climbing on it but it's mostly rocky loose fireroad and very fast. It'll take about 10mins to complete the course.

Mike

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
What will the climbs be like?

I am contemplating doing this on a borrowed patriot MTNX bike. Seeing as the second event would be sweet and I suck badly at mountain cross.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Originally posted by Transcend
What will the climbs be like?

I am contemplating doing this on a borrowed patriot MTNX bike. Seeing as the second event would be sweet and I suck badly at mountain cross.
The worst climb I believe is STP road past the treatment plant. It's been a long time since I've ridden there. The climb on lower Ball 'n the Jack is where the Beginner/Sport DH course comes out of the woods at the bottom and goes up to the left crossing the old Pro/Expert course just below Roberto's Rock. You can carry mach speed into the steep part but you'll need to pedal some until you get out on lower Shay's to start going down again to the finish. I would think a 4X bike would do well but if the chainring is too small you might spin out.

The new mountain cross course is huge! It will also be up all summer!

Mike

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
EDIT
The idea is that you do not need a full-blown DH bike to be competitive. A DH bike might even slow you down b/c of the (normaly small) climbs. If you saw the MBA with the Downieville coverage and the big pic of Mark Weir with his "custom" Dare, that is a Super-D bike(Fox pro-pedal air shock rear, Fox Fork at 5") . There will be uphills. A hardtail might not be enough, but from what I know, trail bikes are ideal. 2 chainringsd is also a big plus.
I thought it was a time-trial, but have since been told that its a mass LeMans-style running start.

About the climbs, are they Dh bikeable, or trail bike (2-ring) material?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I thought it was a time-trial, but have since been told that its a mass LeMans-style running start.

About the climbs, are they Dh bikeable, or trail bike (2-ring) material?
I think they are but I'd be careful with chainring selection. Depending on how strong you are a 36-38 should be perfect.

Mike

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Dartman
I think they are but I'd be careful with chainring selection. Depending on how strong you are a 36-38 should be perfect.

Mike
Cool. My gf is doing it, and I will be putting a 38T on her DH bike.