Quantcast

So Cal guys, cali guys in general, whistler costs?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

Well.........time to plan a trip for myself. I gotta go with the girlfriend to San Fransisco in July, but after that it's my turn! I wanna go ride some place where I can just have fun, not worry about driving up and down the road, and have some top notch riding to be had for 4-7 days.

I'm looking into N* or Whistler.

I'm curious, granted I know what gas costs in California, what are the costs to travel to whistler and stay for 4-7 days? N* I can most likley drive to and camp/rent someplace for a few days but it's a long drive from Santa Barbara and if my 91 chevy eats any more gas then it does now it'll be cheaper to fly to whistler anyways :)

I know lots of cali guys go to both places, but was curious what total trip costs tend to run. I am fortunate that I may have come into some extra $$$ and money won't be a complete problem, but it'd be nice to have an idea (rooms cost, lift ticket cost, food, gas, plane etc...).

Just curious as summer months are comming up and alot of people do biking travel around this time. Figured I'd post and find out what costs tend to be.

laxincubus311

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
East cost
for me to go to whitsler for 10 days, with flight hotel lift tix, food and other stuff will be about 1500 bucks or maybe a lil less, go with some friends to save money on the hotel and maybe some on airfare

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Whistler is gonna be way more expensive than Northstar, no matter how you plan it. Your best bet would be to either camp or stay at a cheap hotel in Truckee and then ride a few days at Northstar (lift tickets are somewhere in the neighborhood of $35 a day). Northstar is only a 3 hour drive from San Francisco, so all you gotta do is get on hwy 80 and go. A lot easier than Whistler, if you ask me.

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
I have never been to N* (east coast Monkey), but I HAVE been to Whistler. Go, Go to whistler and don't look back. It may cost you more, but the riding can't be compared to anywhere else. and now that they have added the garbanzo lift, you get twice as much riding as before. If you stay in whistler village, you won't even have to think about driving every day to ride. just ride your bike out of the hotel and within a minute (or less, depending in where you stay), you are at the lifts. Plus the food and drink is excellent and the people are super friendly. I am going back next year, no questions asked. I will choose Whistler over any other vacation, hands down.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well I haven't traveled since I got out of high-school which was 4 years ago. I wanted my first real trip to be a good one.

Bike trip is it. I didn't buy my M1 to not ride it DH. I wanna use it and have some fun!

I looked up some whistler things and it looks like you must take a bus to whistler village as there's no direct flights into whistler. I dunno how many days of riding I can do but I wouldn't spend the $$$ or time to go any less than 6 days. 6-8 is what I am looking at.

I'm also only bringing one bike. I'd bring the Cortina but I dunno what the hell I'd do in FR/DH heaven with a 4" travel bike.

I'll have to do some more research on whistler. I'm guessing you need to fly to Vancover? first and then bus ride to whister? Are there any sites that have package deals to just fly out of and it's the whole trip?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
check the whistler blackcomb official website for travel ideas.

Yes, you can get a bus from vancouver to Whistler. Or (especially if you want to check out some other local areas) rent a van or something at the Airport and drive yourself.

There is plenty of lodging, especially in the summer. Check alluradirect.com for a bunch of privately-owned spots.

I haven't travelled the entire planet, but right now IMHO there is nothing that compares to riding Whistler. Anyone from beginner to pro can go hit it. There is every kind of terrain - smooth flowy trails, mega jumps, drops, ladder bridges, skinnies, mountain cross, dirt jumps, tight singletrack, wide open fast fire roads, wall ride, big box, etc. All of it built just for mountain bikes. And the after-ride scene is top notch.

You will become a better rider. It's not magic, but having it all right there, including the ability to hit progressively bigger stuff, will give you the confidence to go faster, bigger, etc.

And no matter what you usually ride it will all look puny when you get back, so you can kill it in your regular stomping grounds.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
If you want your trip to be one to remember go to whistler. Not saying N* wouldnt be good, but you have to experience whistler to really understand. Pack up the M1 and get on a plane....... Give the PNW forum a heads up if you decide to go. Chances are there will be a bunch of us up there. Always good to meet a distant monkey.....

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Agree with the above. I think if you're planning to do a road trip and spend money, you owe it to yourself to go to whistler and vancouver at least once in you life. Its truly an experience that you'll cherish for a lifetime. I have ridden N* when I used to live in Norcal and now that I live up here in BC, IMHO this is the best place to ride if you're into DH/FR. Bring you M1 and you'll have more fun riding as most of the rides outside the bike park can be shuttled. PM me if you ever made it up here and I'll be glad to show you around.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Whistler takes on a whole new persona after a week. If you ride it for one day, you are kinda kiddy about just being there and all the awesome trails are overwhelming. I went up for 8 days and rode the same trails everyday. It didn't get old, I got faster and the trails started changing because my speeds were getting higher. Nothing advances you skills faster than hitting the same jumps and the same berms 50 times in one week. I think I might get bored after a week now, but it is really worth doing once. That trip is up there with the best trips in my life.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
I'm a bit older than most here and I've done some pretty fun $hit ie. 5 day a week surfer, musician, skater, jet skier,etc,etc. ...but nothing and I mean nothing i've done has ever compared to my last years Whistler/N.Shore adventure. Haven't ridden much outside of Cal, Nevada & Az but if I had 1 place to go it would definitley be Whistler...the enviroment and attitude are so pro MTBing its outta this world.

I'm sure/hope MTB parks will follow the Whistler model here in the US but as far asI know we are not still quite there.

As a mater of fact we are going back to Whistler in Aug. and I plan to go back as many times as I can or until my body says "give it up...you're too old" :D

Do it man, do it now....