Quantcast

so for those who cut the cord (cable or satellite)

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
We haven't ever had anything more than basic cable, and ended that a few years back. We can pick up the basic channels with a cheap digital antenna now. Beyond that, our TV has wifi and can pull from out innerwebs. We also have an old chormecast plug in, so can access a variety of things that way as well. As for subscription services, we've had basic Netflix for years and Amazon via our prime account. That's about it. Wife's uncle gave us Disney+ last year for xmas, although it just expired and I don't think we'll pick it back up. Don't really watch a ton of TV anyway. Is there something in particular she likes/wants to watch?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Really depends on what and how much you want to watch. I recently re-actived my amazon prime and de-activated my disney. The amazon is decent.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
High speed (or whatever passes for it in your area) internet, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime. Other stuff (CBS All Access, Disney+, HBO, etc.) added when they have something we want to watch, then cancel when over. All still ends up costing us less than cable packages for what we want. On a non-smart screen using a first generation Roku.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if you have Amazon prime you can watch five seasons of the wire..,..after that....she might think everything else is trash.

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Just a high speed connection + vpn and nothing else. We can stream local stations and I use popcorn time for movies and series.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
+1 for whatever counts as "decent" internet in your area and whatever streaming services you might like. Our house has netflix and disney. We also make a yearly contribution to our local PBS station, which gets us all access to PBS stuff, though most of it is available for free anyway.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Had Netflix for a while but they stopped playing shows I liked (Family Guy). Moved to Hulu and have been happy with their selection of animated and sitcom offerings, as well as a few films. I tried Amazon Prime on a trial but didn't get hooked on it.

My smart TV has a few free services included which shows various old movies and B&W TV stuff.

I just bought an iPhone 12 and that came with a free year of Apple TV+. So far the Snoopy stuff has been okay, and I've got a few suggestions from friends for shows to investigate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so we have:

netflix (a lot of licensed content has been moving off, but they have enough good original content that we keep it)
hulu + live tv (the basic version, just to get the local channels plus some basic cable stuff, overall we like it)
disney+ (kids mostly, but i like the star wars stuff)
hbo max (which we have on and off depending on what's good, but the content with Max has been consistently better since it launch)
amazon prime (they have a few good shows, but overall its a lot of crap like B or C tier knockoffs)

we tried apple tv but weren't impressed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh - on the hardware end of things, after years after faffing with smart tv's and chromecast, we got Roku Ultra units and have been very happy. Easy / straightforward enough for the kids to use as well as my parents when they are visiting.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We have Comcast/Xfinity internet combined with Netflix and Amazon Prime. Apps like YouTube and Redbull get some play as well, especially when there is mountain bike racing. We rarely watch live TV but will occasionally spring for live events on NBC Sports.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Dropped Comcast/Xfinity and moved to FIOS for way faster internet (1Gb vs 125 Mb) at the same price. With the addition of a Roku unit and Hulu Live to our exisiting HBO, Netflix, and Prime subscriptions, we have more channels/options than under Xfinity, for nearly half the price.