Quantcast

so.. I had a tire blowout at 120mph yesterday...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Chevy Silverado 1500
Gross rear axle weight rating (at least on the 2018 1500s) is 3,950 lbs. Looks like most of the tires available in the stock 255/70R17 size are S rated which a quick glance shows are good for ~2,400 lbs a piece, so, you would be okay with S rated tires but stepping up to an E rated (3,200 lbs capacity) would give you a bit more margin.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
At 140 crashing usually equals dying. I'll pass. Before you die Fentanyl is awesome....
Anything over 80, means pretty much dying when you crash... the higher the number, the smaller the chunks left...

I've done 170-180mph a (very) few times... and its pretty awesome...

Depends on the car too... a truly fast car can reach 120mph in a quarter mile, the you lift off the throttle and go back to 70-80 in less than half a mile... a slow car can take like 2 miles to reach a terminal speed of 130mph, and will feel less "safe"

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Anything over 80, means pretty much dying when you crash... the higher the number, the smaller the chunks left...

I've done 170-180mph a (very) few times... and its pretty awesome...

Depends on the car too... a truly fast car can reach 120mph in a quarter mile, the you lift off the throttle and go back to 70-80 in less than half a mile... a slow car can take like 2 miles to reach a terminal speed of 130mph, and will feel less "safe"
I get nervous on the Ascella train after Westerly RI. After I hear the dung dung next stop noise i always wake up.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
to bad, it's kind of a rush

I did 140 a couple of times in our M5 out on I5...but that's a total Autobahn machine designed for it.
I've accidentally gotten up to almost 100 driving down straight, empty, open road in the M. You just don't realize how damn fast you're going in that car when you don't have a moving context because it's not struggling. I've pushed it intentionally up towards 135 when I first got it and even then it wasn't scary, but I would have been a lot more comfortable with proper safety (cage, 6-point, helmet, etc). It just doesn't struggle going fast.

But do I need to do that again? No. A WRX or the like on a track is more than enough for me at this point. The limit slower is far more exciting that nowhere near the limit at a higher speed.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
over 150mph is where "awesome" starts to get scary for me.

70-130mph is where the most fun is, for me at least.

I've accidentally gotten up to almost 100 driving down straight, empty, open road in the M. You just don't realize how damn fast you're going in that car when you don't have a moving context because it's not struggling. I've pushed it intentionally up towards 135 when I first got it and even then it wasn't scary, but I would have been a lot more comfortable with proper safety (cage, 6-point, helmet, etc). It just doesn't struggle going fast.

But do I need to do that again? No. A WRX or the like on a track is more than enough for me at this point. The limit slower is far more exciting that nowhere near the limit at a higher speed.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've accidentally gotten up to almost 100 driving down straight, empty, open road in the M. You just don't realize how damn fast you're going in that car when you don't have a moving context because it's not struggling.
I've never really understood this. Yeah, the BMW cruised nice at 80 or above, but those I've always known what speed I was going and I don't see how you can "not notice it". The 426hp Camaro 1 would zoom trough that speed in an instant on it's way to way way higher speeds. Lots of people would come up to me in parking lots and say "man, if I had that car I'd get so many tickets!", which I don't understand. Basically they are telling me they have no self control and can't operate a motor-vehicle responsibly in urban areas? It's not like it's easier or something to break the law in this car, you can easily go 50mph in a 25 in any car, or 80 in a 40, etc. The BMW and German cars do tend to be pretty stable at higher speeds than others, but that era is largely gone unless you are driving a one of the many subcompact rental cars I usually get on business trips, because they realize a large percentage of their users cruise at 80-100 these days. A fast car will usually be more comfortable faster, but I've never really understood the "I didn't even realize" line. If they are that distracted while driving, maybe they shouldn't be driving?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
over 150mph is where "awesome" starts to get scary for me.

70-130mph is where the most fun is, for me at least.
So are you going to get some wider tires or what?

I was looking up the specs on that and it seems like it's 255 rear and 235 front? I'm running 255 square as my winter setup right now and it's downright laughable as far as being able to put the power down, but I just have it to be able to get around a bit and stretch the legs of the car a bit in the winter, rather than garaging it the whole time. I can't wait to put the 285/305 setup back on in a month or so.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've never really understood this. Yeah, the BMW cruised nice at 80 or above, but those I've always known what speed I was going and I don't see how you can "not notice it". The 426hp Camaro 1 would zoom trough that speed in an instant on it's way to way way higher speeds. Lots of people would come up to me in parking lots and say "man, if I had that car I'd get so many tickets!", which I don't understand. Basically they are telling me they have no self control and can't operate a motor-vehicle responsibly in urban areas? It's not like it's easier or something to break the law in this car, you can easily go 50mph in a 25 in any car, or 80 in a 40, etc. The BMW and German cars do tend to be pretty stable at higher speeds than others, but that era is largely gone unless you are driving a one of the many subcompact rental cars I usually get on business trips, because they realize a large percentage of their users cruise at 80-100 these days. A fast car will usually be more comfortable faster, but I've never really understood the "I didn't even realize" line. If they are that distracted while driving, maybe they shouldn't be driving?
The M5 gets more stable and smooth at 70+. The e46 M3 starts to get bouncy (not harsh though) at around 85. My Subaru and the Infiniti get wobbly around 70+ and the Subaru gets loud. The M doesn't get wind loud at any speed that I've taken it to.

It's speed creep and why I cruise control all the time now. Where there is no audible or physical indicator of speed once you get up to cruising speed, if you aren't on cruise control, then slight weight down on the pedal can lead to increases in speed over distance that add up. Go drive across Eastern Colorado or Wyoming; that shit all looks the same. It's real easy to drive fast with no features to gauge against.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
So are you going to get some wider tires or what?

I was looking up the specs on that and it seems like it's 255 rear and 235 front? I'm running 255 square as my winter setup right now and it's downright laughable as far as being able to put the power down, but I just have it to be able to get around a bit and stretch the legs of the car a bit in the winter, rather than garaging it the whole time. I can't wait to put the 285/305 setup back on in a month or so.
am using 235/265 michelin pilot sport 4s right now, which is probably as big as I can safely go.
will probably get some r-compound tires on a spare set of same size AMG wheels for the track,

btw.. I have just discovered Uber (now that my car is in the shop until the parts arrive from Germany, and my other car now belonging to the mrs); and found the experience amazing. I dont have to worry about asshole drivers or traffic. just click and go. cant wait for autonomous cars!

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The M5 gets more stable and smooth at 70+. The e46 M3 starts to get bouncy (not harsh though) at around 85. My Subaru and the Infiniti get wobbly around 70+ and the Subaru gets loud. The M doesn't get wind loud at any speed that I've taken it to.

It's speed creep and why I cruise control all the time now. Where there is no audible or physical indicator of speed once you get up to cruising speed, if you aren't on cruise control, then slight weight down on the pedal can lead to increases in speed over distance that add up. Go drive across Eastern Colorado or Wyoming; that shit all looks the same. It's real easy to drive fast with no features to gauge against.
I heavily use the speed limiter in everyday traffic.
Set it at 60mph in urban highways, or 40mph in urban areas, and then forget about speed creep.

AMGs/RS/Ms gain speed really, really fast without you realizing... it feels like they "warp" if you floor them, even at 1/4 of gas the pedal, they punch hard.
My wife/sisters do not like to drive it; they say it accelerates way too fast, even in comfort mode.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I heavily use the speed limiter in everyday traffic.
Set it at 60mph in urban highways, or 40mph in urban areas, and then forget about speed creep.

AMGs/RS/Ms gain speed really, really fast without you realizing... it feels like they "warp" if you floor them, even at 1/4 of gas the pedal, they punch hard.
My wife/sisters do not like to drive it; they say it accelerates way too fast, even in comfort mode.
This is 100% true. Wifey refuses to drive it, it terrifies my Dad, and I only have maybe 4-5 friends who are even comfortable with the concept of driving it. @Nick has driven it and can attest to it. It's analog and the traction control is a joke. It can get away from you and bite you in the ass if you're not ready for it. When I daily it, I maybe use 1/4 throttle at any given point; any kind of deep throttle and you'll go plaid.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Couple winters back we did several stretches of 110mph+ on back roads in my buddy's S6 from Steamboat to Jackson. Fortunately, *most* of the roads were clear and dry... except for the occasional patch of drifted snow.

Scariest part was the final 90-ish miles in Hoback Canyon in a whiteout at 35mph. :panic:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

I5 is flat and straight. The M5 felt more solid the faster I went.I only hit 140 for a less than a minute before shutting it down. Weird thing is that I went from 4th to 5th to 6th with my foot in it and each time it slammed me back into the seat....400Hp in a car that size is amazing.you could hit 80 mid way down an on ramp without even trying. we programmed the alarm to ding if we hit 80, can't tell you how many times that thing went off... It was sold after less than 6 months.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I5 is flat and straight. The M5 felt more solid the faster I went.I only hit 140 for a less than a minute before shutting it down. Weird thing is that I went from 4th to 5th to 6th with my foot in it and each time it slammed me back into the seat....400Hp in a car that size is amazing.you could hit 80 mid way down an on ramp without even trying. we programmed the alarm to ding if we hit 80, can't tell you how many times that thing went off... It was sold after less than 6 months.
Yep. I'm set at 80 as well. I'm surprised you needed 6th...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
140/70==2. 7850/1250 is greater than 2 last I checked. Does not compute.
i dont think it means both are related but the car can go from 70 to 140 in a single gear, while the torque is spread over a 6x range.. meaning the engine can pull without flinching from, say, 3000 to 6000rpm.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i dont think it means both are related but the car can go from 70 to 140 in a single gear, while the torque is spread over a 6x range.. meaning the engine can pull without flinching from, say, 3000 to 6000rpm.
I know what he was getting at, but it was a chance to give him shit for unclear wording. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My range in 5th is 70-140, 1250-7850rpm powerband. I don't need to shift.
hehe, can do about 25-175 in the Gen 6 in 5th gear, theoretical max is about 190, but it's drag limited before that. :) 6th gear is for fuel econ, but it'll pull from 45mph with all that torque from 1000rpm. Theoretically it maxes out at 282mph in that gear, assuming you have about 3000hp.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Depressing as hell to install the skinny winter wheels today. Could probably get away with the summers for a few more weeks, but it's chilling off in the mornings and the weather could turn in a matter of days at this point.
IMG_5734.JPG

Even worse to find a freaking nail in the tire (has been holding pressure fine, these are so soft and gummy I'm sure that's why they sealed around the nail).
IMG_5735.JPG

But big brakes make me happy.
IMG_5736.JPG

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
After the P-Zero mishap... I switched to michelin

I plan to use this ones year round. Just replaced them a couple weeks ago. Tried the pilot sport 4, but didnt like it very much.

The Pilot Sport Cup 2. Insanely grippy when hot, noisy, though.

C1B9EF22-3868-4B7B-A931-5E646606E58C.jpeg

B00828E9-65DB-449F-A903-2FAAAD16A3F9.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
After the P-Zero mishap... I switched to michelin

I plan to use this ones year round. Just replaced them a couple weeks ago. Tried the pilot sport 4, but didnt like it very much.

The Pilot Sport Cup 2. Insanely grippy when hot, noisy, though.

View attachment 130876

View attachment 130875
I keep hearing good things about the Pilotsport 4S and a lot of people are switching to them. Was considering those after these goodyear F1 supercar3s wear out.