Quantcast

So I hit a caucasian on a bike today....

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
.....Too bad I was on my road bike.

I was coming down a local bike path when I come up on this fat kid on a bmx bike (he looked like the bear that rides the little trike in the circus) He slows way down, I say "On your left" and the fat little turd turns around and moves to his left, launching me off my bike. No real damage was done, and he seemed pretty freaked out about the whole thing.

And the first thing I could think of was......."Holy crap, I just hit a caucasian on a bike while riding a bike."

Beat that manzi!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
chicodude01 said:

I was coming down a local bike path when I come up on this fat kid on a bmx bike (he looked like the bear that rides the little trike in the circus) He slows way down, I say "On your left" and the fat little turd turns around and moves to his left, launching me off my bike. No real damage was done, and he seemed pretty freaked out about the whole thing.

And the first thing I could think of was......."Holy crap, I just hit a caucasian on a bike while riding a bike."

Beat the manzi!

when I ride the bike path, it's crazy how many times I will say on "On your left" and the person I am passing will move to their left - I dont get it. :confused:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
chicodude01 said:
(he looked like the bear that rides the little trike in the circus)
LOL! Nice visual.

Those bike paths are dangerous. I refuse to ride my bike on our rail trails. I'd rather take my chances on the road.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
If you say "On yor left" really fast it does kind of sound like "omelet". What fat kid isn't gonna turn around all excited for an omelet?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
Those bike paths are dangerous. I refuse to ride my bike on our rail trails. I'd rather take my chances on the road.
All mine are filled with MILFs pushing jog strollers. I love my bike path! :love:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
non-cyclists don't know what "on your left" means.

especially fat kids on bmx bikes....

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
douglas said:
what about the adults on bikes ?
if they are non-bike riders they don't know the 'rules of the road' so to speak..

most of us do, because we engage with other bike riders. but there are A LOT of people that own bikes and ride them but are not aware of this.

don't believe me? find a major college and go ride the bike paths near it.... :thumb:

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
pnj said:
if they are non-bike riders they don't know the 'rules of the road' so to speak..

most of us do, because we engage with other bike riders. but there are A LOT of people that own bikes and ride them but are not aware of this.

don't believe me? find a major college and go ride the bike paths near it.... :thumb:
Not to mention the ones who usually ride against the traffic. :rolleyes:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
douglas said:
when I ride the bike path, it's crazy how many times I will say on "On your left" and the person I am passing will move to their left - I dont get it. :confused:
I get this 3-4 times a day. Even if you don't know "the rules", use your freaking brain!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
People are conditioned to respond...they hear something startling, and want to react. They hear the "left" in "on your left" and move that way. They aren't, under stress, going to hear it, process what you said, then process that they actually need to move RIGHT, if they move at all. This is, unless they're conditioned and experienced with the use of the phrase "on your left."

Half of them would move the wrong way under stress anyhow.

Just the way it goes.

"Omelete" -that's pretty damned funny.

MD

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've found that adding the word "passing" seems to help, as in "Passing on your left." Otherwise it seems like a lot of people translate "On your left" into "Move to the left."

I had a bunch of sketchy close calls on the trails at Whistler last week, so it's not just on the bike paths.

I've had so many people get squirrelly that I find myself doing the silent pass more and more too. I want to be polite, follow the rules of the road, etc., but sometimes it's easier if they don't know you're there until you're by them.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
my personal favorite is those recreational mountain bike dads that think when you say on your left it really means "go as fast as you can so I cant's pass you"

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
douglas said:
Because most people don't know what this means. Use a bell, it's easier.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If the kid is a kid, then he won't know. He knows now that an accident happened, but otherwise he's just like any other normal kid, you tell them to go left, they go right or left, depends where their brains at :)

I agree with the above post. Sometimes it's easier to just pass the person without saying anything. Sure they'll be a little shocked but they will just keep on going where if you say something you might get in their train of thought etc....and that's what will cause them not to listen or hear what you said. I always try to give warning that I'll be comming up but if it's a slower rider it doesn't matter much anyways. If they're moving along then chances are they know the passing game and what not.

And yes it's true, kids that ride bikes at college campus's suck. They don't look/stop for anything, as if they have the ultimate right of way. Our own UC has started to crack down on this because of the amount of accidents and problems with kids on their K-mart cruisers just blowing by stop signs and what not. I'd hate to get a ticket for riding to class or to pick up some food because I ran a stop sign on my bicycle. I bet it isn't a cheap ticket (or the other one's they have been giving out, a bicycle is a vechicle in most states). Parking tickets are one thing, moving violations are another.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
if on a path, i generally don't say anything 'cause i figure the person will subconsciously move to that side. or if i do say something, it will be "coming on your left/right side" and i'll slow way down.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
riderx said:
Use a bell, it's easier.
:stupid:

No matter what you say or do each person will do the same thing. Of course, every other person will do something different. Yelling "free cornhole waxing" will have the exact same effect as yelling "I am going to pass you on the left". You just gotta make them do that thing in enough time so that you can get by without cranking them.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Next time just yell really loud,

"FREEZE, You Fat Douche Baloon!!"

By the time he figures out you were talking to him, you will be long and the little chubby Honkey will not be able to catch you.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I just want to say a big Thank YOU to the guy at Massanutten whom when I said "Riders Up...can we get by?" He proceeded to say "Sure" really calmly...and immediately drove his bike straight through a 90 degree turn, ditched the bike and chucked into a bush. Didn't want him to think we didn't appreciate it in the event he gets to feeling like his jesture wasn't appreciated by all riders. :thumb: Thumbs up brother!

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
ncrider said:
You hit the kid in my avatar!!!???

That's pretty much what he looked like.

Jeremy R said:
Next time just yell really loud,

"FREEZE, You Fat Douche Baloon!!"

By the time he figures out you were talking to him, you will be long gone and the little chubby Honkey will not be able to catch you.

Good suggestion.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
OGRipper said:
I've had so many people get squirrelly that I find myself doing the silent pass more and more too. I want to be polite, follow the rules of the road, etc., but sometimes it's easier if they don't know you're there until you're by them.
:stupid: I almost exclusively use the silent pass, it's just easier for both parties involved.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Yeah in chico/p-town and magalia, you got to go stealth. Especially with the blue hairs. you know how people are we all love to see carnage so when you scream something we naturally assume a wreck is coming and want to watch. Hence you chubby gringo friend sends you over the bars, but then again he is just a kid.

You have probably cured him of his bicycling habit for the summer, you have now contributed to another kids obesity....congratulations.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
chicodude01 said:

Beat that manzi!
I'll be the first to admit that I DON'T ride a road bike. Although, I do know that 99.9% of the people I see riding on a bike path are not serious riders. The serious roadies I see are out climbing big hills.

It sounds like you're one of those guys who is scared to take a real road ride, with hardcore riders. I bet it makes you feel good to come up and pass a recreational rider on a bike path, and I'm sure you're even rude to them.

You’re weak sauce! I'd venture to say that if you went on a real road ride all you would hear would be "left," and it wouldn't be coming out of your mouth...

I'm guessing here, but I would say that when you YELL "LEFT" to an inexperienced rider he or she will panic and instinctively go the left to get out of your way. Next time you're trying to impress people on a bike path, you will be better off quietly passing them on the left...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
blt2ride said:
I'll be the first to admit that I DON'T ride a road bike. Although, I do know that 99.9% of the people I see riding on a bike path are not serious riders. The serious roadies I see are out climbing big hills.

It sounds like you're one of those guys who is scared to take a real road ride, with hardcore riders. I bet it makes you feel good to come up and pass a recreational rider on a bike path, and I'm sure you're even rude to them.

You’re weak sauce! I'd venture to say that if you went on a real road ride all you would hear would be "left," and it wouldn't be coming out of your mouth...

I'm guessing here, but I would say that when you YELL "LEFT" to an inexperienced rider he or she will panic and instinctively go the left to get out of your way. Next time you're trying to impress people on a bike path, you will be better off quietly passing them on the left...

I really REALLY hope that this is a weak ass attempt to be sarcastic.

Since you don't know me at all or how much time and dedication I put into biking, you really need to shut the hell up. Now.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
blt2ride said:

wow. chillax douche