Quantcast

So I just got fitted for my road bike

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Pretty cool process, actually. I got the "full body fit", which is an upgrade from the freebie "two point fit" that comes with your bike purchase. (I bought my bike two years ago but never got the fit done.) I needed the fit done because I was just not comfortable on my roadie.

I didn't realize just how many measurements they take, both my body and the bike. Plus the flexibility measurements. Apparently my hamstrings have as much flexibility as a rock.

The fitting was worth it because as soon as I got on the bike, the guy said I was all out of whack. I was up too high in the saddle and I was reaching too far causing my shoulders to hyperextend. Some quick fixes to my bike and a new stem took care of that (went from a 110 stem to an 80). He also told me I'm at the limit of what I can do to the bike as far as geometry goes. He said a bike with a longer seat tube and head tube and shorter top tube would be ideal, but I should be fine for my purposes. The shorter stem has a steep angle though and I can't get much steeper.

Anyway, it was 90 minutes and $75 (discounted rate) well spent. I got this handy piece of paper now with about 50 different measurements. Not sure what any of it means though. :D And if you've read this far, thanks for reading my babbling. Time for another beer. :clue:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
$75 is a good deal.

Did they give you numbers so you'll know what to buy next time?

Longer ST&HT, shorter TT is opposite of standard, modern, mass-produced bikes so you might need custom next time... which is what I did a few months back.

How much lower are your bars than saddle currently?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Don't ponder the various angles too much - they'll make you want a new bike. :)

My new found positive cash flow means a new Serotta in my future, I'll probably be measured in October for delivery in spring 2007.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
did they touch yr scrote?
ahha :thumb:
I Are Baboon said:
He said a bike with a longer seat tube and head tube and shorter top tube would be ideal
so he basically told you to buy a womens frame next time?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
LordOpie said:
How much lower are your bars than saddle currently?
4.5cm. Bike fitting guy said that number should be lower and was surprised I'm not complaining more about a sore lower back and/or sore hands.

He did say if I ever get serious about road riding, I'd probably need a custom because of my oddball measurements. :wonky2:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I Are Baboon said:
4.5cm. Bike fitting guy said that number should be lower and was surprised I'm not complaining more about a sore lower back and/or sore hands.

He did say if I ever get serious about road riding, I'd probably need a custom because of my oddball measurements. :wonky2:
Work on your flexibility, and your fit will change significantly.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I Are Baboon said:

agreed on both.

If it's 4.5cm NOW, then yeah, it must've been even lower. I prefer my bars level with my saddle cuz I like to lean my forearms on my bars.

I Are Baboon said:
Do chickies usually have longer legs in relation to their upper bodies?
Yes. But there was no way I was buying a chick bike. I mean, besides not wanting one, a custom isn't that much more than comparable production bikes, so why spend that much on something you won't love?

DRB said:
Work on your flexibility, and your fit will change significantly.
And you can pleasure yourself too.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I Are Baboon said:
Do chickies usually have longer legs in relation to their upper bodies?
Generally, yes. My g/f and I are the same height but I need to move the seat forward a bit and recline the back a bit to be comfortable driving her cars for more than 1/2 an hour.

One of my long-time XC friends is about 5'7, but has long legs. I can ride her bikes without adjusting the seat, but her bars to saddle distance is way too short for me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It is amazing what a few changes here and there will do. I changed my seatpost from one with a bit of setback to a straight one and instantly felt like I could pedal better. Before I always felt better in a huge gear and it hurt to spin. Now I have more of a normal cadence and my average speed has gone up 2mph.

I'm not sure what it is called but the sports medicine dept of UVA offers dynamic fitting. They plot your body movements when pedaling in 3-D and advise adjustments. Could be worth a $175 for a few % more power.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice, yes, back when I had mine done, my bike fit took 2 hours and we adjusted a lot. If it makes you feel better, I am mildly inflexible in my hips. :)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
MMcG said:
2 hours - holy geez, that's thorough. What sorta stuff do they measure exactly that takes 2 hours?
EVERYTHING! And then they analyzed my pedal stroke to further adjust stuff. It was a sports performance lab, I went there for my knee and physically therapy originally and then had the fit and assessment done to look at the biomechanics of my pedal stroke. It's similar to the wind tunnel testing where they do things, then look at numbers and "stuff", then tweak stuff and so on and so forth. Really interesting.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Heidi said:
EVERYTHING! And then they analyzed my pedal stroke to further adjust stuff. It was a sports performance lab, I went there for my knee and physically therapy originally and then had the fit and assessment done to look at the biomechanics of my pedal stroke. It's similar to the wind tunnel testing where they do things, then look at numbers and "stuff", then tweak stuff and so on and so forth. Really interesting.
For both IAB and Heidi, did they just put you straight to your new positions or did they suggest a series of measurements to get to your "correct" position over a period of time?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
DRB said:
For both IAB and Heidi, did they just put you straight to your new positions or did they suggest a series of measurements to get to your "correct" position over a period of time?
I went straight to the new position, which was raising my saddle about an inch! moving the cleat positioning a bit, and tilting my saddle down a slight bit. I don't have all the degrees and measurements committed to memory. Oh, and I got shorter cranks. When a bike doesn't fit, changes need to make immediately instead of continuing an improper fit over an adjustment period. That said, you shouldn't skimp on this type of fit, or let "you buddy" who races do it. Messing with your positioning can have a huge impact on your back, knees, and shoulders.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
MMcG said:
What happens if your pedal stroke changes for the better or worse?
I'm not sure I understand the question. If it changes for the better, then you ride better and more efficiently. If it changes for the worse, then don't make the change.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DRB said:
By "Over a period of time", do you mean easing me into the new position with a series of small adjustments over a period of weeks or months? In any case, they just set me up with the new settings but told me to come back for more adjustments if I still feel discomfort. You can only get just so much of a feeling by sitting on a trainer for 10 minute clips.

Mark, I don't have any pics of the old set up or the new, but the differences are so small you probably wouldn't notice anything (except maybe the new stem).

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Thats cool. $75 for a 90 min fit is a good deal. As of a few weeks ago I'm on a road bike for the first time in years and am loving it. I just moved to Billerica MA (~30 minutes NW of Boston when the tunnels are intact) and the riding- road and mountain- is great.
I would be somewhat careful when a fitter tells you that your bike needs a longer seat and head tube. Thats nothing that can't be fixed by a longer seat post and a longer steerer tube or different stem. I worked for a big road shop and a lot of fitters seem to be trained with a mix of old-world asthetics and new-scool bio mechanic knowledge. When you get down to it, the only measeurments on a bike frame that can't be tweeked are the top tube length, head tube angle, and seat stay length. Everything else can be adjusted without affecting the ride of the bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Repack said:
When you get down to it, the only measeurments on a bike frame that can't be tweeked are the top tube length, head tube angle, and seat stay length. Everything else can be adjusted without affecting the ride of the bike.
downtube length (front-center, whatever), chainstay length, BB height...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Repack said:
I would be somewhat careful when a fitter tells you that your bike needs a longer seat and head tube. Thats nothing that can't be fixed by a longer seat post and a longer steerer tube or different stem. I worked for a big road shop and a lot of fitters seem to be trained with a mix of old-world asthetics and new-scool bio mechanic knowledge. When you get down to it, the only measeurments on a bike frame that can't be tweeked are the top tube length, head tube angle, and seat stay length. Everything else can be adjusted without affecting the ride of the bike.
Well he did say "in a perfect world" my bike would have the different dimensions, but what I ride now should serve my purpose. They sold me the highest angled stem they have.

Anyway, I did my first ride today with the new setup. 40 miles, 2.5 hours. I was definitely more comfortable, but I am still experiencing some crotchal numbness. Time for a new saddle I think (bike fitter guy told me to buy a new one if I still had this problem).

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I Are Baboon said:
I was definitely more comfortable, but I am still experiencing some crotchal numbness. Time for a new saddle I think (bike fitter guy told me to buy a new one if I still had this problem).
Be sure to make sure you are completely free of soreness before looking at new saddles. Otherwise, nothing will feel better. This may seem obvious, but I watched a shop-rat at one LBS I go to waste the better part of an hour with a guy trying different saddles. I'm watching this and he mentions his butt still hurts from the ride he did the day before... :nope:

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I Are Baboon said:
Anyway, I did my first ride today with the new setup. 40 miles, 2.5 hours. I was definitely more comfortable, but I am still experiencing some crotchal numbness. Time for a new saddle I think (bike fitter guy told me to buy a new one if I still had this problem).
This could be how you're sitting on the seat - make sure your weight is on your "sit bones", not your package. make sure your shoulders are dropped, too. (something I missed when I was starting out.)