Quantcast

So, I torqued my back.. should i ice or heat?

OK, first official yoga class I had two weeks ago, was fun, i was a little tender after, i had been doing my own stuff from books for a few months now a couple times a week....

then i did a (ahem) repetive movement injury to my lower back that same night...

during the last two weeks I have felt my back a little out of sorts and have been doing the Cobra pose often during lunch breaks.... and well, my 56 pound kid still likes to ride on my shoulders or tackle me...

then my motorcycle is a little stretched out in a cafe race ride set up and the commute to work is on a bunch of grooved pavement that causes the bike to oscillate a bit,

result.

yesterday my muscles in the lower back gave up, they twitch and hurt like hell when i stand or walk...

so i took yesterday off and spent most of it on the floor with my legs raised to rest the muscles.

now... is iceing the muscles better
or heat better?

bummer is my massues (sp) friend is out of town this week :(

suggestions? :dead: :monkey:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
RICE - Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate...

Alternating heat and ice along with compression will speed the healing process by increasing bloodflow for the afflicted area. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by BarbaRosa
how would i elevate? my lower back, just getting it above the heart?
also, what is a good source of those ice pads that you put in the freezer?
A - I don't know - it's your injury... maybe you could go for 3 out of 4.

B - You are only going to ice for 20 minutes at a time so nothing special is needed. WallyWord has what you need for under $10.00. I would get two so that you can alternate 20 minutes on 20 off 20 on 3 times a day.

Short of that, big bags of frozen cheappie corn will do the trick - just dont let them totally thaw out.

Originally posted by Serial Midget
A - I don't know - it's your injury... maybe you could go for 3 out of 4.

B - You are only going to ice for 20 minutes at a time so nothing special is needed. WallyWord has what you need for under $10.00. I would get two so that you can alternate 20 minutes on 20 off 20 on 3 times a day.

Short of that, big bags of frozen cheappie corn will do the trick - just dont let them totally thaw out.

:D or i could start eating a lot of corn, black beans, and rice!

thanks...

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
ibuprofen, 600-800mg 3-4 times a day for as long as it bugs you, take ice, and ice for the first 20 minutes of every hour, stretch, relax it. Hot tub, to as cold as the shower goes showers, are great to flush blood into the area, try all these and see what works
charlie

thanks,,, will try.

i REALLY want to ride the motorcycle up into the canyons... :( not likely going to happen as tomorrow is my only likely day to step thru the machine and prep for a rally weekend onthe 17...20th, will see if i do 1500 or 2000 miles :evil: redbearded :monkey: this is the little rally that is in the heartland of phantasmagoricaly saweeet rides. only a few mountain ranges i have not hit on two wheels in colorado to date...