Quantcast

so little knowledge

rhitruck18

Chimp
Jun 6, 2005
so here is the deal i have recently gotten in to biking while my husband is in afghanistan to keep me entertained...but also to improve my own skills so we can go biking when he comes home...he loves biking and is great and i kind of suck...my problem is that i am riding a bike that we got from his brother for like $250 and it runs pretty smoothly except the last time i rode it the gears kept getting stuck and making this awful clicking noise. i took a look at it to see what was going on but all my incredibly untrained eye could see was that the chain and the gears looked like they are smooshed too close together

does anyone have any idea what might be wrong and how i may remedy the situation

thanks so much :help:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i would go to a bike shop and have them adjust the shifting unless you have a bike savvy friend that can show you how to fix it. without a better description (which is tough without bike knowledge, chicken and egg problem) it will be hard for anyone here to give you advice that you can parse and make use of.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
What a great idea for you to ride while he's gone. And what a great present for him once he returns.

Problems like this are very common, so no need to worry. If you have some time and want to learn how to do repairs and maintainance, a great book to check out is Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Repair. This should be able to answer your question and it will do it in a way that's really easy to understand. Otherwise, take it to a bike shop and they should fix you up.

Good luck and happy riding.

Beth