Quantcast

So my boss says, "Go spend $320 on bike tools"

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
aahh, benefits of the job :D

I'm the official mechanic for our bike unit and the bike tools part of our grant was never used. so today my boss tells me to order $320 worth of tools/parts and whatever i need to maintain our fleet of 6 po-po bikes.

i knew that if i went with the big name brands of tools that i'd quickly be out of money so i opted for the performance brand team tool kit.
i had enough left over to get a park repair stand, plenty of tubes and some cables/housing from mikedsx's new shop :thumb:

so anyway, i just thought it was pretty sweet that i not only get to ride my bike at work when i want, but that i also get to buy bike stuff with someone elses money! :clapping:

oh yeah, we're also getting some new tech gadgets for the field so that we can use our dispatch software when we're out of the car. we just ordered these:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Palm-LifeDrive-Mobile-Manager-1044NA/sem/rpsm/oid/125733/catOid/-12964/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Manage your life: Access virtually anything from the palm of your hand. This PDA lets you carry Word® documents, spreadsheets, digital photos, MP3s and more. Easily transfer files from your PDA to PC and back with Dataviz® Documents to Go 7.0.

...Wireless-ready: Integrated Bluetooth® technology lets you communicate directly with other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Sync with your desktop or use a Bluetooth-capable phone to send email or surf the Internet—it's that easy. You can even hook up from any Wi-Fi hotspot

i love new toys!!

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Sweet. I wish we had bikes in the Air Force, I would be all over that, but I don't see why we would need any. That's sweet, so you would keep that PDA in your pocket or something, and have a wireless bluetooth earpiece while riding on your bike, to keep in touch with dispatch?

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
ahh u lucky bum the lifedrive is so overkill for anyones needs of a PDA, and is this why i have to pay those bike shops 20$ to get my stupid crank changed??? so that you ppl can afford this stuff!!??

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hey manimal, would you let us/me know how those tools end up working out? I'm always super leery of buying cheap tools but sometimes they'll work out nicely. Sounds like an awesome perk, though, to be able to work on bikes while being paid and with company sponsored tools!

Oh, and elfboy, I'm glad you both have a comprehensive knowledge of what manimal needs out of a PDA and great reading comprehension as well. Words like "bike unit" "grant" "6 po-po bikes" and "dispatch" might have tipped me off to the fact that he's not working for a local bike shop :rolleyes:

Are you the kind of guy who walks into your LBS with a crankset you bought online and asks to have it installed? If so, it's no wonder they charge you $20.

splat

Nam I am
Hey manimal, would you let us/me know how those tools end up working out? I'm always super leery of buying cheap tools but sometimes they'll work out nicely. Sounds like an awesome perk, though, to be able to work on bikes while being paid and with company sponsored tools!

A couple years ago. I won that tool kit for getting 2nd place in Points for an Overall Race series. I must say I have been very happy with it. the only Problem I have had with it was I broke the chain in the chain whip, but that was an easy Fix.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Why don't you try to work a deal with a LBS?

And I would buy a workstand and a Park tool kit with leftover money.

My advice: keep the tools locked up at all times. Allen keys and other small items always disappear otherwise.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nice work. Now all you need is to get some cool work shirts with a sew-on badge!

Here I thought it was going to be a thread about the Park TP holder :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Why don't you try to work a deal with a LBS?

And I would buy a workstand and a Park tool kit with leftover money.

My advice: keep the tools locked up at all times. Allen keys and other small items always disappear otherwise.
did you read my post at all? we'll be purchasing everything except the tool kit through my LBS, a brand new one owned by a fellow monkey that hasn't even officially opened for business yet. it's just not practical to take 6 bikes to an LBS for basic maintenance when i can do it myself, besides, the money was already alotted in the initial grant fund. the bike shop i'm buying the parts through isn't exactly "local", about 30 minutes way, and i feel much more comfortable wrenching on the bikes myself than taking them to the closest shop :eek: and i DID by a workstand w/ the money...re-read the first post.

as far as the PDA use goes, we have some older models that we use now but they suck! i use exel and word docs all the time when i'm out of the car but our old ones are so slow that it takes 5 minutes too load a simple excel file. these new ones will allow me to more rapidly access my MS office files (remember, i work in the housing authority (HUD) unit so i have resident rosters, banned subjects lists, lookouts...etc.) and i will also be able to upload suspect photos (and my music of course :D ). the best part is that it works with our dispatch software so i can perform records checks, view call notes and all of the other things that i do from my car.

squeaver - uh...i keep in touch w/ dispatch via a radio. the pda just lets me view the call instead of trying to remember all of the details from what came over the radio. i can view who made the call, what type of calls have come from that location in the past, if there are any "alerts" or warrants on the residents.......stuff that you can't get over the radio very efficiently.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Good choice on the kit. Bike cops here in rochester rock the house. Saw one downtown directing traffic during a snowstorm.