Quantcast

So our TV broke, what do I need nowadays?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
TV seems to have been killed by lightning sometime in the last week so we need a replacement.

I figure 4K is a given, we only want a 43".

Do I need HDR?
Roku?
Chromecast? (already have an older dongle for watching WC DH)
Shimz?

Suggestions?
We have a digital XFinity X1 DVR cablebox, Chromecast and small media PC all to plug in via HDMI.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I got a TV back a few years ago when target and walmart were having their wars over prices, so a couple hundred bucks and I got a 50" TV, it's HD, but not that 4000 or whatever. All I know is that it's way way better than when I was a kid and it works great with my laptop. I go in stores and see TVs the same size that cost thousands of dollars. I guess I'm missing out on important shit post blue-ray and HD, but I think I'll be alright. I only have the TV for my computer and everything I do there, plus watch star wars over and over again. Blue ray interfaced via optical cable to soundbar, soundbar interfaced through aux to the laptop.

Last edited:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The "dont buy a tv" comments always make me laugh...

I own a big ass tv (65" curved ultra HD 4K Samsung) and I fucking love it.
Its in my bedroom even and I use it exclusively for netflix with the gf and to play playstation.

Sure cable tv is a waste of fucking time and a brainkiller/washer and its also much healthier to be riding a bike. But seriously... Who the fuck rides their bike all day every day? I work a lot and still find time to ride my xc bike and my my girlfriend.
Go on downhill/enduro and snowboard trips. I have plenty of friends and family that I visit and on top of that believe it or not. I even have time to read books!

If you like watching tv, series, netflix whatever then just do it.
My advice, buy the largest tv with the best resolution your wallet is comfortable with because if you enjoy chilling out on the couch or whatever your tv cant be too big really.

:D

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
TV free since 2003... the Internets seems to have taken its place. Between work, family, bikes, and sleep there ain't no time to be surfing channels. (Is surfing channels still a thing?)

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
We have a "smart tv powered by Google", which is ok, and another with Apple TV and a jailbroken Firestick. With the Apple, I was taught about mirroring, which is great. We go to 123movies.to, pick a HD show, and have a viewing good time.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife found a TCL 55" 4K HDR TV that was editors choice in something or other and a good price. Slightly bigger than our old 32" and the originally planned replacement 42".

But it was great for watching the DH yesterday via Chromecast and it was great watching the English football this morning.

Now I'm thinking I need to upgrade to the 4K Chromecast :D

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
For a 42" it won't really matter. I would just pick up whatever looks good to you at Costco or something you can find on sale. Most probably have at least 3 HDMI inputs any more for a few things. I still prefer to run everything though a receiver and run external speakers. Even reasonable bookshelf ones sound a million times better than any integrated TV speaker. I still have a 720p 50" and with a good source it still looks really good. Starting to get some dead pixels so prob going to start shopping when we finish redoing our living room.

I'd be all down to cut cable but it's not even worth it. Our cable/internet company basically makes it so that without a combo package you'd be paying out the ass for just internet, even though we mainly watch Netflix and Hulu. Can't late night chill without Rick and Morty.

I enjoy watching movies with my surround sound going, although lately it's just a lot of PJ Masks.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Wife found a TCL 55" 4K HDR TV that was editors choice in something or other and a good price. Slightly bigger than our old 32" and the originally planned replacement 42".

But it was great for watching the DH yesterday via Chromecast and it was great watching the English football this morning.

Now I'm thinking I need to upgrade to the 4K Chromecast :D
Costco has this tv for some stupid price, like under $500/. maybe even close to $400