Quantcast

So what should I work on today?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The answer, if you are GWB, immigration with a side helping of bird flu.

How does the US population rank these two things?

When presented with a list of issues and asked which is most important for the federal government to address, those surveyed in the early November NBC/Wall Street Journal poll ranked illegal immigration near the bottom: 16% called it a top issue for the government to address, behind the war (40%), job creation and economic growth (37%), terrorism and Hurricane Katrina recovery (28% apiece), and the deficit and the cost and supply of energy (21% apiece). The only named issue which ranked lower was bird flu (6%).

Okay you say 16% is still not bad. Maybe not but the next part of the survey was interesting. When asked who is better suited with dealing with immigration, 53% of Americans said..... the Democrats.

So not only am I going to deal with an issue that most folks don't think is that important, I'm also going to deal with an issue that folks think I'm not best at dealing with.

I guess its a matter of expectation, if he fails at it then at least he met the expectation and if he succeeds woo hoo.

Also the emphasis of his immigration plans as changed due to the beating he is taking from his conservative base. When this first cropped up it was all about the "guest worker" aspect of it. NOW that the political clout is out the window, its all about closing the border and enforcement.