Quantcast

So you bought a 22 AR-15 rip-off for home defense?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A co-worker caught me admiring the M14, and he told me he had bought this for home defense:

I'm not sure who he plans on using this on. A pack of meth-using squirrels?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
hopefully the person on the business end of things wont know the difference. With the exception of the mag and the receiver its pretty hard to tell.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
PS, another forum had posted how their father-in-law killed an intruder, with guess what, a 22 semi auto rifle.

Still, I don't think a guy with 3 kids should think a spray gun is his best choice for home defense.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I'd rock it for home defense. I figure all it takes is one or two properly placed shots. A shot to the nuts followed by one to the unibrow will take down most intruders right? Awww screw it, just put one of these on there and go nuts.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i know i wouldn't want to get shot by that, period. while not as manly, a 22LR should still be pretty effective at 10-15 feet inside a house. people get killed by .22s all the time.

a 12 ga pump and a .45 sidearm for home defense would be a much more realistic setup i think.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
"Richie loved to use 22s because the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a 45, see, a 45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a 22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you're dead. "

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
"Richie loved to use 22s because the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a 45, see, a 45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a 22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you're dead. "
My Blue Heaven just got added to my Netflx que

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I build mine ground up for function not form

these were my last 3 builds for a trip to idaho
in order from top to bottom by caliber

.204 Ruger
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SPC

but this bad boy is chambered for 6.5mm Whisper

Ironically I dont have a single AR chassis chambered for 5.56/223

these are the ar chassis caliber I currently have built

.17 Remington
.17/223
.20 Tactical
.20 Practical
.20 Vartag
.204 Ruger
.221 Fireball
6x45mm
6mm TCU
6x47mm
6mm Whisper
.25x45mm
6.5mm Whisper
7mm Whisper
7.62x25
7.62x39mm
.30 RAR
300 OSSM
.357 Auto
.458 SOCOM
.50 Action Express
.50 Beowulf
400 Cor-Bon
338 laupua mag
41 Action Express
10mm Auto
45 GAP
45ACP
45 Super
45 Win Mag

mind you, I used to own a gun store and have building for 10+ years

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
jebus, you have that many AR's???
the 6.8, .458 and .50 beowulf make me happy in pants.

just curious, whyd you chamber some in the smaller rounds or other sizes like .45's? and why no 5.56's?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
either you live in a steel house or you dont shoot much
Brick... and I do enough to hear those puppies wizzing past me when they hit a rock or something.

Also know a (stupid) kid who was cleaning a loaded one and he had multiple wounds from the 22lr hitting bone and bouncing around inside his body.

So maybe it is you that was misinformed.:thumb:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Brick... and I do enough to hear those puppies wizzing past me when they hit a rock or something.

Also know a (stupid) kid who was cleaning a loaded one and he had multiple wounds from the 22lr hitting bone and bouncing around inside his body.

So maybe it is you that was misinformed.:thumb:
first of all your are talking about two different things.

the lead in a 22LR is whole 100% lead. it is extruded from a lead billet, into a wire, then pressed from a mold. it is so soft by that point you can bite through the bullet itself. typically what you are hearing from any deflection is tiny fragments but mostly pieces of whatever it hit. it will go through block, brick, mortar, lumber, and possibly into the neighbors house before it will stop.

steel is what is used for bullet traps, unless your walls are steel and shaped with deflection you will never find a ricochet.

thus is why it brings us to your second statement, the reason a 22lr will tumble through a human body it due to skeletal deflection. it doesn't happen very often but the bullet may not hit a square angle and begin to tumble thus causing a pinball effect on human bone. these tolerances are far and few between. at most one or two glancing hits.

as for your shooting practices.....if you are hearing things zip past your head...you have not done much shooting to warrant even bringing up the subject, your doing it wrong

Last edited:

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
GFF... ever come across this? If so, how impossible would it be to make this happen in CA?