Quantcast

Sol Vista's New Project

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
Hey Everyone, there have been a few people asking me about how stuff is going, so I figure I should put this out there.
Sol Vista ski area (15-20 minutes past Winter Park) is putting a lot of energy into a new bike park that they want to have succeed in the next few years. I'm in charge of a trail crew there and the best thing is that we have complete control over what we build, and how we build it. No Forest Service to mess with and no restrictions on how big we can build features. Here's what we have signed on for:

1 DH trail- race oriented with some off camber and rocky sections, a couple jumps
1 DH trail- More jump oriented with fast lower singletrack
1 Intermediate Super D type trail
1 Easier Super D type trail

Lower jumps and berms to link trails together

The first DH trail is completed except for the bottom section, and the Easier of the Super D trails is completed. The second DH trail will be complete by the end of this week, and the goal is to have the intermediate Super D trail done by the end of next week.
The trails are pretty bare bones and natural right now, but the week of Crankworx Colorado we are using heavy equipment and moving in a bunch of dirt for berms and jumps. So, it's not done yet, but some stuff is rideable.
As far as cost, Sol Vista is having the lifts open on the weekends, Saturday and Sunday, and it will be FREE to all cyclists for 2007 and 2008. They are in the process of getting hooks for the chairs, so bear with them while they figure everything out. We have a good idea of everything we want as far as jumps and features, but any ideas are welcome. We want this to be one of the best places to ride in Colorado, and it can be with the lack of restrictions that Sol Vista has. The mountain has about 1000 feet of elevation drop so it's small but fun.
To sum everything up, check out Sol Vista if you have any off weekends, the trails are in rideable now, but will be going off the week of Crankworx Colorado.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Sick. Are the lifts already running on the weekends?

Any need for another able bodied person on the trail crew?...I'm really looking for any reason to quit my job.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
The trail crew is set for now, thank you for the offer though. The lifts are already running during the weekends. Starting on the week of Crankworx Colorado we will have dirt moving equipment and a ton of topsoil to do some good construction, so there will be more jumps and stuff, so it's not going to be totally race specific as far as cornering and tech sections once the jumps are done.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
Yes, it will be closed during the crankworx week while we are moving a lot of dirt around. I don't want to kill anyone with the heavy equipment.