Quantcast

Some after school berm shreddage (WARNING! Pinkbike no-helmetedness!)

first off, we have to give a HUGE thank you to our mountain-boarder friend Brad for rebuilding these trails! were glad to have you keeping them up while were in school man!

but anyways, heres some shots i think you guys here would like... sorry for being douchebags with no helmets:busted:
Cory(FactoryCostcoDH) and I...

and a not so berm/slammage shot...

fun trails for sure!
the one where we are just slamming into the wall of dirt in the middle of nothing is part of a complete 180 switchback... just to clarify anything:biggrin:

i dont know why, but i have a habit of not turning my head through a corner... i do it surfing too... no, i'm not watching my roost:busted:... unless i am without thinking about it:biggrin:
comments?
:cheers:

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I see a couple pics with rear brake levers pressed.

1st pic and next-to-last pic- looks like a brake lever applied.

Even if not, so what. Your in beach sand. A 5 year old could power slide in that. I don't see any real bermage cornering action. I see power sliding to a dead halt.

Look at the front tires. Half of them in the pics have no blurryness to the knobbies. That equals a stop..

Post a video of that action so we can see...

Go ahead and tell us this is not a powerslide to a dead stop. Look at the bike and left leg angle. Busted.

Last edited:

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Looks like a blast.. Would be a nice change from the rainy weekends here..

1st pic- brake lever applied.

Even if not, so what. Your in beach sand. A 5 year old could power slide in that. I don't see any real bermage cornering action. I see power sliding to a dead halt.

Look at the front tires. Half of them in the pics have no blurryness to the knobbies. That equals a stop..

Go ahead and tell us this is not a powerslide to a dead stop. Look at the bike and left leg angle. Busted.

blurrieness to the nobbies does not equal a stop in a PICTURE. it means a high shutter speed was used to freeze action. which in turn would freeze a rotating tire, as it would freeze the dust coming off of it at any angle.
look at the angle of dust coming off the tires, it goes back and up... i've always thought physics dictates that for dust to do that off of a tire or any object for that matter, the object has to be rotating forward... and the shallowness of the angle gives the viewer an idea of the objects velocity OR rotational speed...

youll get your videos, we didnt have anything but the still camera today.

bike angle and leg in that pic? wow, i'm laid over and going to use my leg, which is extended forward towards my future line, to:
1. push the bike and myself back up
and
2. push myself forward and start pedaling again

yeah, we are in silty dirt, everywhere in all of southern california is like that! but i dont hear you guys yelling, "wow, you can skid!" to any of the guys who post pics of themselves or others going down a dusty azz trail with a huge cloud behind them!

i guess you guys dont like down-low, forward action, non-broadside camera angles because they dont show speed, they just freeze action in the depth of field...

whatever, we'll get some video AND some broadsides next time. its no big deal

thanks for the support:disgust1:

Woof, thanks for a non anal reply!
Ridemonkey has been drifting to the dark(pink) side recently...

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Thank you for doing your part in making this website a pedantic whiny bltch parade :)

I'm sure someone else cares about all your important points. Your mom maybe.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
second time today i've agreed with you.
Surest sign of the impending apocalypse.

I just take issue with the whole idea that while these kids have some skill, that if they were to bust their Bob Ross inspired hairdos on the ground their folks would sue.

Yes, I know they will scoff at that.

However, what they don't get is that in the real world is even if they don't want to sue, when they go to the ER and mom and dad's insurance will bring a suit anyway to recoup costs for the work.

So come on kids, don't be douche bags and get spots closed.
Put on a lid.

Surest sign of the impending apocalypse.

I just take issue with the whole idea that while these kids have some skill, that if they were to bust their Bob Ross inspired hairdos on the ground their folks would sue.

Yes, I know they will scoff at that.

However, what they don't get is that in the real world is even if they don't want to sue, when they go to the ER and mom and dad's insurance will bring a suit anyway to recoup costs for the work.

So come on kids, don't be douche bags and get spots closed.
Put on a lid.
nah, i would never scoff at criticism for not wearing a helmet!
i thank you very much for your concern man! not necessarily about me, but about the spots!

we just didnt have our lids because we cruised over there right after school got out, its like a block away, and rode for an hour or so... it felt like...

Cory and i know full well the consequences of not wearing a helmet, and thats why we were just hitting the berms... because we stay on the bike, and if we are going to fall, we know how to lowside... unusually well:biggrin:

yeah, i know about all of the chances involved, but this is something we do less than rarely... i dont feel right if i touch dirt without a fullface... dont expect us to do it again!
these just seemed like good shots to me, so i posted them up.

and if someone says this is beach sand again, i'll have to post another no-helmeted pic from the actual beach...
c'mon, i rode the train down there and rolled on to the sand from it... i didnt expect there to be an irresistible ledge to corner down there!:busted:

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
nah, i would never scoff at criticism for not wearing a helmet!
i thank you very much for your concern man! not necessarily about me, but about the spots!

we just didnt have our lids because we cruised over there right after school got out, its like a block away, and rode for an hour or so... it felt like...

Cory and i know full well the consequences of not wearing a helmet, and thats why we were just hitting the berms... because we stay on the bike, and if we are going to fall, we know how to lowside... unusually well:biggrin:

yeah, i know about all of the chances involved, but this is something we do less than rarely... i dont feel right if i touch dirt without a fullface... dont expect us to do it again!
these just seemed like good shots to me, so i posted them up.

and if someone says this is beach sand again, i'll have to post another no-helmeted pic from the actual beach...
c'mon, i rode the train down there and rolled on to the sand from it... i didnt expect there to be an irresistible ledge to corner down there!:busted:

Ok, just so you know.

Never jump without your helmet.

Would you ride something sandy and dirty that could hurt you without your helmet? You might catch something, and then what?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Can we get Alton Brown to jack hammer Rachel Ray with a big bacon log as part of the televised revolution?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
They're great photos.

And I'm happy that these kids are going to be better citizens in the future.

Truth be told I think he was off the stoppers.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Cheetos man I told you last year to get that welcome back cotter do cut! You did and it looked great now your back to sportin it again!

I'll repost what I said before!
HAIR CUT! :D

I can fart and blow sand! Ive seen it at the beach and it rocked, I wasnt wearing a helmet either!

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
the sickest part of it all though is the picture of the dude riding the rotec with shaggy hair looking back at his roost in the middle of his drifty. you know your going hella grippa fast when you can check out your roost from a foot plant- slide- stop.... facking gnar

Sep 17, 2006
hey don't get me wrong, i'm totally opposed to riding without a helmet, I just happened to realize that i had forgotten my helmet and gloves as soon as i got out of my car and was already there. Normally it's not an issue for me (or Bryce) but I was in too much of a hurry to pay attention to what I was doing (my fault, I know). Really we were only shooting berm shots today because we didn't want to jump without helmets.

as for the braking/cutting shots, they're kind of hard to judge by the picture alone. The first berm shown is really the only true berm per say. The other two are more just banks/switchbacks to redirect you on another line and keep you from missing the corner (they were built by a mountain boarder, totally different style altogether). So really I don't blame you for the critizism, they're nothing really all that special in the first place. However, in my opinion, the shots of the first berm are failry legit because a reasonable amount of speed can be carried out of them and no brakes need to be applied, except to possibly slow down a bit out of the long straightaway leading up to it.

so yeah, whatever, it was just an after-school shoot. I'm not looking for people to applaud the shots, it was mostly just all in good fun

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think they are good shots and the free flowing hair on the first one gives it almost a 70's feel to it. Like one of those old bmx shots. Who cares what these guy say. You guys were obviously having fun slapin' some berms. Thanks for sharing.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
do you see any brake levers being compressed?
didnt think so

cutties dont hurt anything from my understanding
My intent was to discredit this statement and the thread title. Again this is the internet, so take my criticism for what it is worth. Which is nothing. It is an opinion.

I didn't even care about the non-helmet as much as corners are meant to be taken with maximum speed. Sliding, power-sliding or skidding in loose dirt on a corner really is not "shreddage". More like "stoppage".

Oh and yes wear a condom.

youre gonna be sliding in loose dirt through a corner no matter what dude... that in no way means youre stopping.
a foot planted counterbalances the bike and adds stabilization/ a sure fire way of recovering if you slide out again in the flat but loose dirt after the corner... we took a shot where i did my best to keep my feet on the pedals through that bank, but since the runout for 10' after it is loose, off camber dirt, in the pic youll see me starting to take my foot off in order to prevent a fall....

and for anyones concern, i'll post non riding pics of the berms... our triple-switchback is rebuilt and faster than ever!

either way, as i said, youll get your videos
:cheers:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If only this were the atherton family...
DHing would be on FOX TV tonight.

Oh, and how do I save a whole thread to PDF? ;)
Download and install PDFCreator:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pdfcreator/PDFCreator-0_9_5_setup.exe?modtime=1198462249&big_mirror=0

(It's free)

Then File > Print

Select PDFCreator in the printer list

Print then > "Wait Collect"

Go to next page in the thread.

Repeat.

Select all output in the collected list

CTRL+C to compile them together

Save to a single PDF file

Viola.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good

Give the kid some credit, or tell the same sad story to Fairclough . . . I see a few similarities. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Thank you for doing your part in making this website a pedantic whiny bltch parade :)

I'm sure someone else cares about all your important points. Your mom maybe.
I reckon, what a waste of space.

The guy posted some pics of him and a mate mucking around, and next thing there is this whole "you were braking you cheat and go put a helmet on" bullsh*t.

Grow up.