Quantcast

Some people have bizarre ideas....

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
I work in a very intellectual environment, and have many interesting conversation while on the job. Today me and some folks were talking about how the homeless population is booming for some reason in our area; then the topic of health and shelter quality came up in the discussion. A new tech. boasted in with" Well, we should knock out two problems with one stone" I replied with What is your view? " Well, our local animal shelter is having problems with overcrowding etc..would it not make since to feed all of these starving homeless people in our area by tapping into this surplus.............well, needless to say everyone ignored this guy. He was serious with his idea also and thought it was a good one.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Brilliant! And then you could make clothes with the pelts!!

Originally posted by KFulch
I work in a very intellectual environment, and have many interesting conversation while on the job. Today me and some folks were talking about how the homeless population is booming for some reason in our area; then the topic of health and shelter quality came up in the discussion. A new tech. boasted in with" Well, we should knock out two problems with one stone" I replied with What is your view? " Well, our local animal shelter is having problems with overcrowding etc..would it not make since to feed all of these starving homeless people in our area by tapping into this surplus.............well, needless to say everyone ignored this guy. He was serious with his idea also and thought it was a good one.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A very large percentage of animals in municipal shelters end up being put down and carted away for processing into animal feed. In general I would not want to feed dog food to the hungry. There is no shortage of food suitable for human consumption in the United States, just compasion and mercy.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Oh... if this is what passes for intellectual discussion at your place of employment... sign me up! I'd still be able to waste hours and hours of company time on the Monkey... wouldn't I?:D

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
I dont think thats a very good idea. You have to treat them like humans, not like cattle. You cant just assume "well theyre hungry, they should be happy to be eating anything." You see, here in the united states we try to have some moral values when it comes to killing pets and feeding them to people who are having a hard time getting by.

The other day I was outside a grocery store and there was a homeless man with a baby kitten and he wasn;t asking for money or food. He was asking people to buy his kitten a can of kitten food and bring it out to him because it was hungry. I was shocked that I was the first person to cough up 37 cents for this guy. He earned more respect than all those bastards in their suv's who huffed right past him.

I agree that what needs to change isnt our dead pet/food surplus that we could tap into, but rather the absurdity of the government PAYING farmers to NOT grow their crops because of the surplus of certain things.

Perhaps if instead we gave those to-be-put-down puppies and kittens to the homeless, they could show that these poor people are just as human as every one of us, and we might not even consider feeding them dogs and cats rather than stepping up to the plate and adressing the real problem.

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
Originally posted by TickTock
I dont think thats a very good idea.

The other day I was outside a grocery store and there was a homeless man with a baby kitten and he wasn;t asking for money or food. He was asking people to buy his kitten a can of kitten food and bring it out to him because it was hungry. I was shocked that I was the first person to cough up 37 cents for this guy. He earned more respect than all those bastards in their suv's who huffed right past him.

I did not think it was a good idea either. Good for you on helping out. I feel people see "street people" and desensitize them as if they were not really human. That is a very sad thing; I know and have helped a few people get back on their feet. They were all human and much more greatful and loving than most "well to do" folks I know.

T

Tenaciousle0

Originally posted by KFulch

I did not think it was a good idea either. Good for you on helping out. I feel people see "street people" and desensitize them as if they were not really human. That is a very sad thing; I know and have helped a few people get back on their feet. They were all human and much more greatful and loving than most "well to do" folks I know.
either that or they are crazy, drug addicts, alcholics, or any combination of the three

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by TickTock

Perhaps if instead we gave those to-be-put-down puppies and kittens to the homeless, they could show that these poor people are just as human as every one of us, and we might not even consider feeding them dogs and cats rather than stepping up to the plate and adressing the real problem.

Yeah. I try not to flame people as often as possible on here and i shouldnt even dignify it with a response, but seriously. That is the stupidest idea ive ever heard. Give them dogs and cats? What are you talking about?
As if there arent enough stray animals running around for any random homeless person to pick up. Also, they cant even take care of themselves, how are you to assume the responsibility of owning a pet is going to fall neatly into their hands? How will they feed the things? Will they bath them? They dont even feed and bathe themselves.
I know you cant critisize someone else's solution unless you have a solution yourself, so here goes.
We could pay the homeless people to kill stray dogs and cats. That way they could earn money to not be homeless, and take care of the stray animal problem....wooohoo, two birds, one shotgun shell.:D

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by Skookum
Haha i just got a visual of some drunk bums runnin around in someone's back yard chasing Fee-fee with a net and a machete.
Yeah, next thing you know there are no more stray cats & dogs, but there is a market for these dead animals....so watch your pets.

this reminds me......has anyone seen Gummo???

pretty f'd up!

-TN