Quantcast

Sony dslr

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Sony just announced today a Full Frame 24MP Sony Alpha A-850 for 1999.99...

Would this draw prices from the Canon's 5D MKii & Nikon's D700's Down a bit to compete?

Here are some Spec of the New Sony...

"The a850, as suspected, is more or less a carbon copy of Sony's a900 full-frame DSLR. That's the same 24.6-megapixel sensor, and what looks like the exactly same body—it even claims full accessory compatibility with the a900. The only noticeable difference is that the a850 will run just under $2000, in November, for just the body, making it a decently cheap option for someone with a bunch of Minolta glass laying around, and a hankering for a full-frame DSLR."

I've always been curious about the sony A900 but the prices for the lenses have pushed me away... FAR FAR AWAY.. i love my nikon!!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Not going to bring prices down one bit.

You don't invest in a body, you invest in a complete system. Sony glass is not even in the same ballpark as nikkor or cannon.

What isn't complete crap (the Zeiss line) still doesn't have fantastic autofocus motors, and is insanely overpriced. They want $6500 or so MSRP for a 300mm 2.8, while the canon 300mm 2.8 is regarded as one of the top lenses on the planet, and is around $3800.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
The D700 is almost exactly the same as the D3 with some obvious differences but only a few.

I used a D3 for a week and then a D700 and I ended up going with the D700 with battery grip.

I will give you my thoughts later as I am heading out but definitely go with the D700.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Not going to bring prices down one bit.

You don't invest in a body, you invest in a complete system. Sony glass is not even in the same ballpark as nikkor or cannon.
I'm sure lots of folks are knee jerking that the Sony DSLR is under 2k and say the D700 is 2500-2700.............hoping the price will come down on the D700.......I mean come on the D700 is what 12mp?? We all know that less mp's means the camera should cost less, because less mp's means lower image quality.....:rolleyes:

I don't even think Sony is a blip on Nikon or Canon's radar.............they shouldn't be until they get some decent glass.........

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
We all know that less mp's means the camera should cost less, because less mp's means lower image quality.....:rolleyes:
What? That's CRAZY TALK! lol

I don't even think Sony is a blip on Nikon or Canon's radar............
You're right about that.... just saw a glimmer of hope when Sony announce a full Frame with popup flash for less than 2K...... Hopefully, nikon will get scared and lower their prices on the d700... :-) but i doubt it.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Yeah from what I've read Nikon is lowering their production rate so they don't flood the market (like they did on the D200).........that way they can keep the prices pretty high while demand is weak.