Quantcast

Sore back?

kghoscht

Chimp
Oct 17, 2001
Somewhere in Time
Hey there healthy monkeys.

A while ago I had some knee pain, so I raised my seat a bit in order to get better leg extension...but now my lower back is sore and I was wondering if it was due to the higher seat.

It wasn't raised too much - maybe 3/4 of an inch.

I usually wear a backpack that contains my riding tools and a heavy lock (Krypto's New York Chain) and I was thinking that maybe the slightly altered riding position would do something like strain my back in a way it wasn't used to.

I really don't know, I'm just guessing here.

I do get lower back pain from time to time, so I'm not entirely certain it's from cycling...but it just occured right after I messed with my seat.

Any help?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Sorry bro. Wish I could help. My back has been hurtin' the last couple of weeks and I can not figure out why. Seems like my back has been hurting since I started my new job and began riding again after taking the winter off. So I don't know if it's from being in the car more (I've got triple the commute now), or from riding. :( This past Sunday was bad...it really hurt. :(

So to answer your post, I don't know and I am having similar problems. :monkey:

R

RideMonkey

Theres all kinds of things that can cause a sore back. Be sure to stretch after every ride. Tight hamstrings can be a problem.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by kghoscht
Hey there healthy monkeys.

A while ago I had some knee pain, so I raised my seat a bit in order to get better leg extension...but now my lower back is sore and I was wondering if it was due to the higher seat.

It wasn't raised too much - maybe 3/4 of an inch.

I usually wear a backpack that contains my riding tools and a heavy lock (Krypto's New York Chain) and I was thinking that maybe the slightly altered riding position would do something like strain my back in a way it wasn't used to.

I really don't know, I'm just guessing here.

I do get lower back pain from time to time, so I'm not entirely certain it's from cycling...but it just occured right after I messed with my seat.

Any help?
Dude, backs are no joke! Stretch like you read about man! Keep those muscles loose and active (no jokes here IAB!:p ), it is so key! You also need to figure that your body will need to adjust a bit to the new position, espeacially if you rode the other for a long time. Sitting a lot at work will drag you down too, I make sure I get up often to move around and stretch.

I hurt my lower back real bad about seven years ago, and above all else, stretching and regular exescise are what keep me in the saddle and on my board! If you're watching the tube, hit the floor and stretch! Sista Kreep is trying to get me to do some Yoga with her, so I'll let you know how that works out. Its supposed to be super good for your stabalizer muscles. We'll see.

Good luck man.
:monkey:

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
weak muscles could be to blame for the back pain & stretching won't help them until they get stronger. wait till your back feels better & go to the gym & do some hyper extensions. start without any weight & your arms locked behind your lower back (scroll down page on link below). Don't extend beyond a flat back position. always equilibrate your body by following up with some sort of abdominal exercise, if you stregthen one side, you should strengthen the other. for variety, you could also throw in some lateral oblique extensions to boot. stetch before your workout & a couple hours after. if you've never done this before start slow, 3 sets of 10 reps, and increase at a pace that won't leave you too sore the next day. you should feel like you worked out but not too sore to move. keep it up :D

http://www.skating.com/article.cgi/session/19980501/3/

kghoscht

Chimp
Oct 17, 2001
Somewhere in Time
I think it may be what VTinCT said, namely that my body needed time to adjust. It's doing a lot better now.

Over the period since I posted this, I've been stretching in the morning (I ride to work) and that's helped lots too.

I'm at work, sitting, for 12 to sometimes 18 hrs a day. Usually I'm pretty good about getting up every hour, stretching out a bit and taking a break, but sometimes I'll get into a zone and code for hours before I realize that I'm all stiff and sore.

Anyways, time and taking better care of myself has helped greatly.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
If you were looking to get rid of knee pain initially the rasing the saddle thing may not have been the best move. Proper saddle height is key, yes, but positioning on the rails is another key. Cleat position is very important as well. These all contribute to knee pain. Lowerback pain can be caused in many ways as well, to stretched out on the bike, to cramped on the bike and saddle to high in relation to the bars. Bike fits are kinda complex. Kinda tough to assess in a forum though. Stretching is a good way to get your body used to everything. Just remember a stretch only does you good if you hold it more than 30-45 seconds! So be patient with you stretching and do it right:D

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
I'm not going to start ranting about the FITBALL again but it really is the way to go if you want to build core strength. About 80% of our population suffers from back pain and regular exercise on the fitball can help alleviate this pain while building strength and flexibility in these muscles. It also helps with balance and coordination which is of course very important when riding technical terrain.

I willhave more info on the fitball on my web site soon and I am taking an Advanced Fitball Certification course in June so I will be happy to share my knowledge with ya'll:)

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Originally posted by JOJO
I willhave more info on the fitball on my web site soon and I am taking an Advanced Fitball Certification course in June so I will be happy to share my knowledge with ya'll:)
Off-topic: Cool website JOJO! :D

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
JOJO is dead on with the fittball. I injured my back severly playing hockey several years ago and had to do dome serious rehab. Most of which involved a fittball and doing core/abs training. That's how I got into mountain biking. They (doctors)told me that I needed surgery but I worked hard at stretching and core strengthening and now I'm biking 3 to 4 days a week. Stetching before and after for a good 15 minutes can really reduce lower back soreness.