Quantcast

Sore Back

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
I injured my back last october. Took a few months of the bike to rest it and started XC again in december. I am OK sitting pedaling in the saddle unless it gets a real steep climb, but as soon as I come to a DH section and stand up my back kills me, it's just when I am stood up with my back slightly bent, typical DH position. I have been snowboarding and riding my moto trials bike without much problems. With race season approaching I am getting a bit worried now, as it does not seem to be getting better. Spoke to a doctor and he said it could take a year or more to improve. I have tried a foam roller, but not much help as the pain is really low in my back. Anyone experienced a similar injury and found a way to a quicker recovery?

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Id talk to a physiotherapist. Also get some really high grade protein and a bottle of Nutra Sea complex which is all your fatty acids and can help to repair tiny damaged muscles.
I had a pretty serious shoulder injury and a sprained neck and ive made 100% recovery with alot of time and patience and proper diet.
Good Luck.
Dont rush ****.

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Get checked out by a doctor to ensure you haven't herniated or bulged a disc. Pretty much demand a MRI.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Definitely physiotherapist. I'm in the same boat and this seems to be the standard hamstring/hip tension causing your lower back to try to stabilize. Ultimately you want a pretty flat back when riding, but that can be hard if you're carrying tension elsewhere. The foam roller isn't necessarily just for use on the area where there is acute pain. You want to use it to eliminate spots of tension that result in a movement dysfunction, which is usually the real culprit for back pain. Areas like the calves, quads, and glutes are well suited to the foam roller.

Edit: And read this, particularly the comments:

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/braaaping-and-back-pain.html

Last edited:

AngryBeaver

Chimp
Oct 4, 2009
Whistler Baby!
hey Bud

What is actually wrong with your back?
I put my back out doing moto whips and it got progressively worse till I gave in and saw a Chiropractor. He helped my back but it only seemed to be tempory. I did start to get real worried and It put me off riding!
Someone suggested yoga to me, didn't think much of it. My back kept getting worse so I bit the bullet and did a yoga class at my gym! At first I couldn't stop giggling, but it turned out pretty enjoyable! My back felt worse at first, but was told it will do. 2 days later my back never felt better! I have only done a few sessions now and have not since had the pain! Sure, I have had twinges, but in general my back is tip top! Feeling more motivated again and certainly more confident!
So, maybe yoga can help you? I know so many people now that have done it and it cured them!
Hope thats a bit of help?

Greg

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
First, asking a question like this here isn't the best way to find out what's wrong with you. Everyone's physiology is different. Did your doctor give you any idea what was wrong, or did he do the "it hurts when I do this" examination?

If it continues to be a problem, ask for an X-ray or MRI. I'm suprised he didn't give you one. Even my chiropractor gave me an X-ray before anything.

Now (saying everyone's different,) I like my chiropractor. He does sports training as well plus physical therapy. He really makes it clear that it depends on me to keep myself pain free. I focus on stretching, core training and staying active. My lumbar's pretty F-ed up from years in the printing industry just lifting wrong... With his help, I've been able to stay loose, continue riding, and deliver for UPS!