Quantcast

Sorensen all for Bertie

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Saxo Star Ready to Ride for Contador</p><p>
</p><p>
Chris Anker Sorensen (Team Saxo-Tinkoff) is ready to sacrifice his own ambitions to help Alberto Contador win another Tour de France. The skinny Dane has progressed to become one of the best climbers in the pack over the past few seasons, with stage victories in the Giro d'Italia and Critérium du Dauphiné to his name. In last year's Tour de France, he rode to a career-best 14th overall and won a spot on the final podium as the most combative rider's prize.</p><p>
</p><p>
For 2013, Sorensen says that he and his Specialized-equipped Saxo-Tinkoff teammates are ready to line up behind Contador in the bid for the yellow jersey.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Everyone is very excited to have Alberto back with us. He will be one of the big, big favorites for the Tour," Sorensen said. "We will all be working to help Alberto. The fact that he's motivated gets everyone else ready to race."</p><p>
</p><p>
Sorensen, 28, is making his season debut this week at the Tour Down Under and will have a heavy racing schedule that includes the spring classics and one-week stage races such as Catalunya, the Basque Country and Romandie. Competition will be keen within Saxo-Tinkoff to make the final nine-man selection for the Tour de France in what's a mountainous and challenging route. The addition of such riders as Nicholas Roche, Michael Rogers and Roman Kreuziger will make for an intense internal battle to punch a ticket to the Tour.</p><p>
</p><p>
Before July, Sorensen knows he will have his own chances. "I will be able to get my chances in the Ardennes classics and some races like the Tour of the Basque Country," he said. "For the Tour, everyone will be working for Alberto. That's very exciting for the team to have a rider</p><p>
who can win the Tour. We have a lot of new good riders." </p><p>
</p><p>
With the Tour on the radar, Sorensen said he would likely not race the Giro d'Italia in May. He's leaving the door open for a possible run at the Vuelta a España in September.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's hard to say too much right now about the Vuelta. We're only in January," he said. "It depends on how I feel and if I go to the Tour." Sorensen is part of a solid Saxo-Tinkoff lineup for the Tour Down Under. Jonathan Cantwell will be the team's rider for the bunch sprint while</p><p>
Sorensen and U.S. champion Timmy Duggan will be seeing how they can do in the overall classification.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's always hard at this race against the Aussies. They've been racing quite a bit already while we come from the cold and snow in Europe," he said. "It will be a hard race. I was quite surprised to see how hilly it is. I always thought this was a sprinter's race, but there are a few days that are quite hard. It's going to be exciting to start racing."</p>

More...