Quantcast

Sorry, Adobe, you screwed yourself

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
In 1996 when Apple was seemingly on the ropes, Adobe made a crucial business decision and one that is coming back to bite them in the ass. They declared that their primary development platform would be Windows; subsequently, every new application or major revision of a product was introduced for Windows first and followed months later, sometimes never at all, by a Mac version.

After Steve Jobs took over and he was charting out a new course with OS X, Apple reached out many times to Abode to introduce a native version of their suite for the new OS. Adobe never committed – standing by its prediction that OS X would never gain momentum or share and it would ride the Windows ascendancy. Adobe thought that it had the dominant hand and displayed its arrogance in public.
Read more here:
http://innerdaemon.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/sorry-adobe-you-screwed-yourself/

My very recent personal experiences:

I'm currently here working with CS3 photoshop on my work machine - it crashes and hangs regularly, and always has. It's workable, but sometimes annoying. When it hangs, I come over to RM to see what's up - the amount that I'm over here gives you a pretty good idea of performance.

On my personal machine, I have the CS4 Design Premium suite I purchased (~$2,000). Photoshop CS4 is the application I spend the most time on and while generally good, it has significant problems with stability. In the past, Adobe would put out a few bugfix releases that would take care of these issues. However, with Photoshop CS4 OSX, they did not release one single update, not a single update to it in 18 months - so what shipped on the disc is it... and from the looks of it have no intention to as they have released CS5 - the upgrade is ~$600. I can't support this behavior, so I'm going to work with what I have, and not "upgrade" until this changes - I'm not holding my breath.

Is it too much to ask to support your software?

:(

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Is it too much to ask to support your software?

:(
Yes.

Even the Windoze CS3 that I had on my work machine would hang and crash with our corporate PC builds. Not that that was a big surprise...Office would crap itself regularly too...I was installing updates on almost a weekly basis for the first few months that we were operational on CS3. Never really got better.

:shrug:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
the new 'content-aware' feature of CS5 is pretty awesome.
I haven't used it, but the demo video shows pretty basic stuff. For example, he mentions the "tree is pretty hard to do manually." The tree is against a perfectly clear blue sky - that has to be one of the easiest things to do... same goes for the garbage on the grass.

How do you find it in practice?

I think folks that have been using photoshop for a long time primarily want something that's:
1. Stable
2. Has workflow enhancements. (For example, when I paste something into photoshop, why can it not be a smart layer by default?)

Unfortunately for me, content-aware fill appears to fit more into the category of "eye-candy" than anything else.

splat

Nam I am
So the one thing you didn't explain and from reading the article , is how did Adobe screw them selvs ?

so they don't want to really support OS X. the question I hace is how much would it cost them to Support it properly vs. how much will the return Be ? is it really worth the trouble to them as a Company ?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I am stuck on CS (8) on an old XP machine. Totally stable.

For my uses, I have no need to go any further. In fact I use it less and less accept for film output to my inkjet, and once I figure out a few things GIMP will cover that as well.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I am stuck on CS (8) on an old XP machine. Totally stable.

For my uses, I have no need to go any further. In fact I use it less and less accept for film output to my inkjet, and once I figure out a few things GIMP will cover that as well.
If memory serves me correctly, everything before CS2 on PC was pretty damn stable after the first couple point releases.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW - GIMP 2.6.8 64 bit running on Windows 7 64 bit with a Core 2 Quad Q8300 is awesome. So is Scribus and Inkscape.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So the one thing you didn't explain and from reading the article , is how did Adobe screw them selvs ?

so they don't want to really support OS X. the question I hace is how much would it cost them to Support it properly vs. how much will the return Be ? is it really worth the trouble to them as a Company ?
Thankfully for Adobe, no one in any creative field uses a Mac...