Quantcast

Southwest Utah

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I had yet another Moab trip plan and at the last minute I said fuk it we're going to SW Utah instead! What a good decision and I can't believe I haven't been to this area before. Gooseberry Mesa is probably the most fun I have had on a bike. I'll post a couple photos over here - for those interested in the whole report including hiking pics from Zion - you can check that over here.

Thunder Mountain:

Gooseberry Mesa:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Nice pics. I was just telling my fiance that i wanted to take her to Thunder Mountain since i haven't been there for about 5 years.

I love gooseberry. Did you guys go to the look out? That one climb that's almost vertical for two feet can be a bit tricky. The one with the bush growing out of it.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Nice pics. I was just telling my fiance that i wanted to take her to Thunder Mountain since i haven't been there for about 5 years.

I love gooseberry. Did you guys go to the look out? That one climb that's almost vertical for two feet can be a bit tricky. The one with the bush growing out of it.
Yeah we rode to the lookout and no I skipped that particular climb :) That is a nasty little hole you end up there - I'd like to see someone ride that.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If we're talking about the same one, there's a 90 degree right turn that lines you up directly in front of the wall. There's a tree on your left, and a little bush coming out of the rock. I used to think that was the way you had to go up it. It's not. You go up it at an angle by the bush and end up going right up behind the tree. Way easier than it looks. I did it three times just to make sure i had it dialed. That was of course after watching a local 15 year old do it over and over to show us the line.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Awesome Aaron! I haven't been there in quite a few years but I always liked it better than Moab.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I like them both. Moab is fun because there are some areas that are high speed. The area is great. It reminds me of mars. I just don't like how crowded it gets. Gooseberry is always fun because there are hardly ever any people out there. Good place to hit early in the season when you're not in peak shape. Jem trail is a great change of pace after riding the goose.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I like them both. Moab is fun because there are some areas that are high speed. The area is great. It reminds me of mars. I just don't like how crowded it gets. Gooseberry is always fun because there are hardly ever any people out there. Good place to hit early in the season when you're not in peak shape. Jem trail is a great change of pace after riding the goose.
I got kind of bored on Jem.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
You didn't like that section that was like a half mile of pump track? I like how you can pretty much go as fast as you can. We were almost topped out and pedaling most of the way down. I like flowy trails with lots of turns. There's nothing technical about it, but it's nice after riding all tech on the Goose.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion

Commonly known as "The Bitch"! We beat our heads against that a bunch back in the day.

Great pics!! Let a :monkey: know when you come through we'd have shown you some goods!!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Commonly known as "The Bitch"! We beat our heads against that a bunch back in the day.

Great pics!! Let a :monkey: know when you come through we'd have shown you some goods!!
Haha. You guys too?! Man, we went out there for years and couldn't make it up. One of our buddies even went over the bars going up it because he lunged too early. Almost busted his face on it.

We got lucky. Saw some local from St George ride up it over and over to show people the line. After he left, i tried it out. Way easier at an angle behind that little bush.