Quantcast

Sovereign Shim/Seat Tube Size?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hi--

Anyone happen to know if you can still source a seat post shim for a first-generation Sovereign somewhere? Dunno the dimensions. (32.4-31.6, maybe?)

Alternatively, can you run a larger diameter seat post sans shim? I'm guessing I'd want to hone the seat tube before doing that, though.

Thanks! Sent an email to e13 tech support as well; if you can answer here please disregard it.

MD

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Alternatively, can you run a larger diameter seat post sans shim? I'm guessing I'd want to hone the seat tube before doing that, though.
Funny you should ask this, because I went on a search yesterday after you posted on the old thread. If it doesn't get answered here, I'm just going to bite the bullet and try a 32.4 mm.

The shim for me has always been a bit of a pia because I frequently raise my seat for xc, and slam it all the way down for street/dj/bmx.

If a 32.4 is going to be the ticket, sign me up!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Bust. Forgot how all these relationships had changed. Guess it's time to get that caliper from McMaster. Been managing to avoid that for the better part of 8 years. Or I can email Evil and see. (Again...no response 2 or 3 times now. At least e13 answers!)

"Hey Mike,
E.thirteen has not been involved with Evil bikes for about 5 years now. Your best bet would either be to contact Evil Bikes or to have your local shop put a set of calipers on the seattube for you and help you decided on the shim size needed.

Cheers
Charlie Schneider
The Hive
405 east d street ste c
petaluma ca 94952
www.bythehive.com
o: 800.515.6860"

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Evil Bikes sent me the schematic as a .pdf.

The OD of the shim is 32.6, so a 32.4-31.6 shim will probably work just fine. Maybe some threadlocker or exhaust paste or something might help it fit into the slightly-larger seat tube ID if necessary, and help keep it from sliding up when you raise the post as well.

Guessing that a 32.4 post would work too, but honestly have no idea how much .2 mm matters in this context. Wouldn't want to leave the post out of contact with the frame but for the interface at the clamp when tightened...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

The OD of the shim is 32.6, so a 32.4-31.6 shim will probably work just fine. Maybe some threadlocker or exhaust paste or something might help it fit into the slightly-larger seat tube ID if necessary, and help keep it from sliding up when you raise the post as well.

Guessing that a 32.4 post would work too, but honestly have no idea how much .2 mm matters in this context. Wouldn't want to leave the post out of contact with the frame but for the interface at the clamp when tightened...
Did you see my post in the Sov thread? .2mm is about .008", which is a little on the high side for that type of fit. I'd use the shim you've found, and a 31.6 post. If you're having a hard time getting it to clamp well (which I doubt will be an issue, but it could be), slap some retaining compound in there. I don't have time to look up the exact part number for you, but there are products designed to do pretty much exactly this out there.

eimkeith

Chimp
Aug 23, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Would it be possible to get a copy of this??

Did this solution work?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Traveling now but may be able to pull it up once home.

Never tried implementing a solution; been living with it but not riding too much anyhow due to life/work/travel.