Quantcast

SPAM: IndieGogo is up and running

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Agreed, looks like he's paying for advertising on Pinkbike and Vital anyways...

Maybe he's cut a deal with the Lizard People that we aren't privy too. @Tantrum Cycles

What's the situation bro? Plans for a PMS hardtail? You kicking our lizard overlords cash for this blatant abuse of our forums?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Also the first full suspension bike kickstarter EVER!
Actually JM, you're not too far off. I could find only one other successful KS effort on a full sus bike:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1106708179/lichen-bikes?ref=discovery

But kickstarter is a graveyard of failed mtb efforts. Ironically, one in particular that I am urged to emulate:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/167500004/guerrilla-gravity-gg-dh-beta-prototypes?ref=discovery

They sold a total of 2 bikes. I sold 40. I think I will stick with my plan.

and an effort by two extremely well known mtb icons:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ubw/underground-bike-works?ref=discovery

They each sold a total of 2 or 3 bikes. I sold 40. I think I will stick with my plan.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yet GG has multiple bikes which have received acclaim from riders and magazines, have expanded their operation, actually manufacturers things and employs a bunch of good people.

Kickstarter aside that is anything but a "failed mtb effort".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yet GG has multiple bikes which have received acclaim from riders and magazines, have expanded their operation, actually manufacturers things and employs a bunch of good people.

not only that, they manage to engage the online community without the kind of nonsense we see going on here. and all that with a failed kickstarter.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
also, LULZ at thinking having a successful kickstarter = having a successful business.
My response was to jm's post about being the only ks full suspension effort. As if, for example, I made that up.

There absolutely is a HUGE difference bewtween having a successful KS effort and a successful Biz. But a succesful KS effort helps immensely. In many ways.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016

I'm happy for GG. I've never gone on there threads and tried to derail. I've never posted my "analysis" of their suspension, or said anything bad about them. I'm happy they can make and sell their bikes. Hats off ALWAYS to guys like them and Devin Lenz, Brent Foes, etc. If I had the ability to manufacture here, I would. All of those guys started as fabricators, so they went with their strengths and are pulling it off. Other started there and gave up, eventually going overseas.

I don't harbor anything but goodwill to all of them and hope they can continue to do what they love.

Again, the quote and the words "failed mtb effort" were used to describe kickstarter. And it was.

Which makes mine nothing more than the most funded, most successful MTB kickstarter. Will I mange to turn it into a successful business employing good people and , expanding my operations, actually making things and receiving acclaim from riders and magazines for multiple models?

The first part remains to be seen, both long and short term. How well will I deliver? It's not going to be easy. while continuing to sell and expand within cash flow. What about accept private equity to expand faster? Getting the right people at the right time. All formidable in the best of circumstances. We'll all see how I do, won't we? Obviously, i'm betting one way, or I wouldn't be here.

But the second part of that equation, the most important part, is well on it's way. Multip[le glowing reviews from multiple magazines, with more on the way. Numerous great reviews from demo riders, many of whom purchased their kickstarter bike only after riding the demo, some on their own home trails where they've demo'd multiple brands.

And EVERY SINGLE ONE of them, including Vital, agrees and confirms that the linkage offers pedaling, speed, climbing and traction advantages over EVERY SINGLE DESIGN out there. Every single one.

You can argue whether that is valuable to you as a rider. You can wonder and speculate that there may be an unacceptable downside to such an advantage. Those certainly are valid and can be somewhat subjective, but the worst that has come up so far, with an acknowledged too soft initial setup on the lowest cost shock on the market is " a bit mushy in compressions".......

That's where I want to start my business model. And with 40+ sales in 2 months, before I even exist as a brand, with no dealers, distributors, ads, tradeshow booths, etc. All on the strength of reviews, both professional and "civilian". Guys like you, that rode the bike and loved it.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
not only that, they manage to engage the online community without the kind of nonsense we see going on here. and all that with a failed kickstarter.
Of course they did. The most controversial thing the have introduced, I believe, was a linkage name. Other than that, pretty straightforward, easy to understand and analyze. Pretty easy to tell if you might like one, based on similarities or differences from your current ride.

This is a little different. No, it's a lot different. I AM challenging conventional wisdom. I am changing the way people will feel about what they want their suspension to do. I am changing the way bicycle suspension has to be analyzed, because i am using forces in ways that have not been used before. Ever.

People are gonna get pissed that I am challenging their conventional wisdom. Some people will want to understand and engage in logical discuss of a completely new concept. They will understand the nature of proprietary information and also understand that they don't need it to understand the theory. They just need an open mind and ability to accept a new way of analyzing based on new developments. which, by the way, is an engineering fact of life, which is why i'm surprised it seems so foreign here.

In the end, the most offended will be the ones with the most at stake. The worst 3 of the psuedo-analyzers all make bikes or designs or software or blogs or such. They all stuck their neck out and said it was shit before they knew what they were talking about. When evidence keeps surfacing to the contrary, they're not gonna be happy.

It happens with new stuff.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Part of being successful is knowing when to stop kicking a dead horse and move on to something more productive. I can see why the industry is reluctant to work with you.
Kicking a dead horse? It's very much alive and kicking on it's own. Might have even kicked a few monkeys in the nuts.

Most of the success I've had in life has come from

1) making sure I've done my homework before I stick my neck out
2) the relentless pursuit. I've succeeded in spite of attempts to shut me down, nay say my science or discredit me. It's necessary whenever you are breaking new ground. But you know what, the hurt feelings go away, the truth is accepted and people move on.

Speaking of moving on, obviously, I am very happy with the results of Kickstarter and using crowdfunding not only to raise money, but to attract attention beyond the normal forum reading audience.

So, I've just launched Indiegogo as a continuation of the Kickstarter. There are a few earlybird frames to be delivered with the kickstarter batch. the rest will be 2 months later.

https://igg.me/at/tantrumcycles

cheers,

Brian

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Kicking a dead horse? It's very much alive and kicking on it's own. Might have even kicked a few monkeys in the nuts.

Most of the success I've had in life has come from

1) making sure I've done my homework before I stick my neck out
2) the relentless pursuit. I've succeeded in spite of attempts to shut me down, nay say my science or discredit me. It's necessary whenever you are breaking new ground. But you know what, the hurt feelings go away, the truth is accepted and people move on.
Yawn...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Actually JM, you're not too far off. I could find only one other successful KS effort on a full sus bike:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1106708179/lichen-bikes?ref=discovery

But kickstarter is a graveyard of failed mtb efforts. Ironically, one in particular that I am urged to emulate:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/167500004/guerrilla-gravity-gg-dh-beta-prototypes?ref=discovery

They sold a total of 2 bikes. I sold 40. I think I will stick with my plan.

and an effort by two extremely well known mtb icons:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ubw/underground-bike-works?ref=discovery

They each sold a total of 2 or 3 bikes. I sold 40. I think I will stick with my plan.
Hey now, you need to check yourself. We've sold a whole lot more bikes than you, it just hasn't been through Kickstarter.

Edit: you made some false statements about us. Feel free to talk about your own stuff, but leave us out of it.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

And EVERY SINGLE ONE of them, including Vital, agrees and confirms that the linkage offers pedaling, speed, climbing and traction advantages over EVERY SINGLE DESIGN out there. Every single one.
Can you post exact quotes that state ALL OF THOSE in one review? You know I'm just a simple Polish guy and my English isn't so good so maybe I misunderstood those reviews since the ones I have read weren't more possitive than most reviews on those sites.

PS. Can you define what is this Speed characteristic on the bike? Also arent pedaling, climbing and traction just 3 words for basically the same thing? Also we did argue that we prefer downhill capability over uphill performance. This is the DOWNHILL forum. It's you who said that the sub par performance of your bike on the downhills can be mitigated by the rear shock. No one here agreed that's the correct solution for downhill enthusiasts (again, it's the name of the subforum).

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Your combative attitude has been noted. This thread is quickly encroaching on SPAM territory. I'm debating whether to lock it. I'm glad your first round was successful, but now this is simply an abuse of the crowd-funding system. If you can't use the funds from the first kickstarter to get your company rolling the way that you said it would, then you're just cheating.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not like anybody on RM is going to be a backer. Except for that one guy who posted six times in the tantrum thread, complained about getting called out on it, then left forever.