Quantcast

SPAM: IndieGogo is up and running

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Your combative attitude has been noted. This thread is quickly encroaching on SPAM territory. I'm debating whether to lock it. I'm glad your first round was successful, but now this is simply an abuse of the crowd-funding system. If you can't use the funds from the first kickstarter to get your company rolling the way that you said it would, then you're just cheating.
Sandwich,

The crowdfunding platform is a legitimate way to raise funds. I'm not cheating the kickstarter customers, they get early deliver and better price. I watched quite a few successful kickstarter efforts transfer over to IG to continue.

IG is different in that it is not all or nothing. It's simply another way to sell, create a buzz and reach a wider audience.

I DID get enough from KS, deposits have been made on production (and started)

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Hey now, you need to check yourself. We've sold a whole lot more bikes than you, it just hasn't been through Kickstarter.

Edit: you made some false statements about us. Feel free to talk about your own stuff, but leave us out of it.
Hey GG, to my knowledge, I have made no false statements about your bikes or company that I'm aware of. If I have, let me know and I'll publicly apologize.

The comment about your Kickstarter effort was just that. And it was true and in response to jm saying mine was the only full suspension ks effort, implying nobody has tried but me. Obviously, more KS efforts have failed by far. As you found out, it's not easy.

Throughout this thread, whenever monkey's brought up your name, I complimented your effort, company and success. I've been watching you guys for years and am really happy that you're able to pull it off. Way cool. I also complimented you on not going on other threads and stirring the pot. I thought that was very professional, in contrast to others that have tried to discredit my design to promote their own.

rock on.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Next, can you design a sock that always goes on right-side up? It really pisses me off that even when I hold the sock upright, the heel is sticking out of the top when I try to pull it on.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Next, can you design a sock that always goes on right-side up? It really pisses me off that even when I hold the sock upright, the heel is sticking out of the top when I try to pull it on.
My daughter would love this invention. She always has her socks on upside down.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
If Your design can back up your hype why not patent it and sell it to Specialiazed or another Major brand with deep pockets? Specialized is anxiously awaiting the next game changer like their SWAT box!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If Your design can back up your hype why not patent it and sell it to Specialiazed or another Major brand with deep pockets? Specialized is anxiously awaiting the next game changer like their SWAT box!
Spec can't do it, that's a huge investment to radically change everything about their FS design across ALL models, they're so deep in FSR they don't know what to do. I think they have cornered themselves as far as suspension, after hyping up FSR all these years only to find out there's really no benefit as compared to a single-pivot linkage design that works similar. Now they keep churning out FSRs to "save face" IMO. There are already systems that work significantly better, but Specialized isn't interested.

The best I think he can hope for is a major brand that is struggling to compete with the "big boys" that IS looking to completely revamp their line. This requires a source of cash/investment, but it would be more realistic. Again though, it's probably a lot bigger commitment than just a couple bike models like Brian is doing, in terms of support, design, advertising, production, distribution, etc.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
that patent is pending and from all communications with the patent office, is looking good.

Selling it is a little more complicated than that, partly for the reasons Jm is referencing below.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Spec can't do it, that's a huge investment to radically change everything about their FS design across ALL models, they're so deep in FSR they don't know what to do. I think they have cornered themselves as far as suspension, after hyping up FSR all these years only to find out there's really no benefit as compared to a single-pivot linkage design that works similar. Now they keep churning out FSRs to "save face" IMO. There are already systems that work significantly better, but Specialized isn't interested.

The best I think he can hope for is a major brand that is struggling to compete with the "big boys" that IS looking to completely revamp their line. This requires a source of cash/investment, but it would be more realistic. Again though, it's probably a lot bigger commitment than just a couple bike models like Brian is doing, in terms of support, design, advertising, production, distribution, etc.
This is very true. All brands have a ton of money invested in everything from image to molds to marketing rhetoric. And they count costs in pennies when sales are in the 10's of thousands.

Look at all of the biggest brands. Not one of them licenses a suspension design. They all have in house design and engineering teams and in some cases, dedicated R$D skunkworks like Trek does in SoCal. These guys are paid a lot of money to come up with the goods and are already in 2020-2021 product development cycles. And most of those engineering teams do not want to hear form outside inventors/engineers. Most of their legal departments do not either........

My view is that it is a stagnant market in a stagnant economy. Brands are not going to invest in new concepts unless they have to. They'd rather wait till live valve bails them out. My intent with Tantrum is to push the issue. And, in reality, I'd rather license 10 little guys, give them a better chance to compete and spread the technology around that way. Many of those guys buy existing frame designs from factories in Taiwan or China, possibly with a tweak or two, sometimes not.

I can offer them a turn key design at a competitive price and actually save them R$D. But they have to know that their risk is small. They can't afford a bad year. By proving the design with Tantrum, their risk is minimized. If we are succeful at that, it may push larger brands off the fence...