Quantcast

Spank Oozy Trail 295 Bead Bite tubeless setup

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Has anyone had experience setting up the those as tubeless and how did you apply the sealing tape? Should it only cover the center thus sealing the nipple holes or should it go all the way from bead hook to bead hook? Should there be a rubber rim strip at all? If so, how wide? If the ridges are covered with tape/rubber strip what's the point of having them in first place...?

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
So, I decided to give it a go. Bought brass valves and 19mm tubeless tape from Superstar Components, that width covers perfectly the center of the rim (Oobah profile) right up to the horizontal ridges (Bead Bite) so no tape on the ridges. The tires are Maxxis HR2 3C EXO TR. Rolled two complete revolutions of tape on each wheel, not sure if there'll be enough left from one roll for 3rd layer, looks like what's left is for one wheel only. Anyway, two layers seem enough. The HR2s get mounted easily, 3rd layer of tape might make it a little bit harder. Rear needed a bit of effort with the levers, front mounted only by hand.
So far I did a dry test only - no sealant, no soapy water - using a 12V car compressor (30L/min). Rear inflated right away, didn't need any help whatsoever. Holding ~40PSI easily, lost only a couple of PSI for the last hour, adding sealant will do the job. Front needed a bit of persuading, the tire beads where more battered than the rear due to being folded plus the tire mounted more easily (tolerances...) so those two factors play role in the difficult inflation. Anyway, I just pulled the tire sidewalls outward in order to seat the bead on the ridges and the tire inflated immediately. Holds air dry just as the rear.
Next step will be of course to pour some sealant, got some Bontrager TLR. Based on the dry test I have confidence the tires will hold air very well. Will report when I manage to put some miles on them.

Last edited:

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Wheels are as true and spokes are as tight as I got them, really nice job from Spank! The interface with the HR2s is pretty much perfect, there's no leaking and burping whatsoever. Unfortunately had a pretty big cut on the rear couple of days ago - approx 1cm. wide right in the center of the tire, the sealant couldn't do a thing...it was just too big to handle. Next day got a thorn in the front, approx 2mm. diameter which got sealed pretty much instantly (after I took out the thorn, it was holding air just fine :) ) The Bontrager TLR sealant as per description works up to 6.5mm cuts (1/4"), so I can't confirm it and can't say how good or bad it is - the thorn was a rather small puncture and the cut was far too big for any sealant. No other punctures so far that needed the sealant to work.
Tires are 3C MaxxTerra and the knobs are starting to tear, but that's expected for this compound. On the other hand the grip they provide is much better than the 60a, a really nice all-round tires.
I couldn't recommend those wheels more, got them new for less than 500 euro, they're light (1.7kg), strong and very durable. The rims provide very reliable seal for tubeless (with HR2 TR 3C) with tape only in the center over the OohBah profile - although Spank recommends their Fratelli tape to be applied from bead hook to bead hook, so I'm using it like this with 3rd party tape on the center only at my own risk. So far no issues.
Now that the rear is cut, with little chance of repair in order to be tubeless again I might try a DHR II, I've been thinking to buy one and test it in the rear. It'll probably have a little more rolling resistance, but I expect it to handle and brake better than the HR2.
With the active season just beginning, I'll have some more updates in 3-4 months.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
how are the wheels/rims holding up?

Im looking into buying a set of these wheels. Even though 25mm inner width seems narrow these days!!

But Ive been riding the older Spank oozy rims (21mm inner) laced to some Chris King ISO hubs for a few seasons now. My rims have some wobbles..

Advice needed. SHould I keep the Chris king hubs and lace some new Oozy rims or Dt swiss 470's or just sell them and buy the spank wheelset?

Id really like to go with the sram 1x11 stuff.. But Chris king wants 200 dollars just to convert my rear hub to the xd driver..

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Sorry, couple of weeks late, but still:
My statement still stands, couldn't be happier with the wheels. I can't say they're good/bad at something or better/worse in comparison with other wheels - they just do their job pretty much unnoticed and problem free. Fairly light, at a fair price, pretty durable and strong, nothing more needed.
Few weeks after my previous post I took them to the shop for some regular maintenance, the spokes just needed some slight adjustment. The hubs had to be thoroughly cleaned and lubed though due to water and dirt that got inside, but the bearings were not affected. It was probably my fault after all, I didn't really try to keep the water jet away from them when I was washing the bike. I do now :)
As for width, most of the tires available are designed around "narrower" rims, so 25mm. is just fine, the tire profile is not altered for the worse in any way. I've used Maxxis tires only, so results may vary for other vendors.
I really can't comment on Chris King vs Spank part, I've never owned Chris King hubs. Spank's hubs work just fine, I had no issues whatsoever and a good clean & lube twice a year should keep them working smooth.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
KING stuff is built to last a lifetime and is worth investing in if you already have the hub , Shimano is 11spd as well and they use a standard freehub

cool thanks for the feedback. I still havent bought anything.

I am having a hard time letting go of the Chris King hubs honestly.. I think I will just get some dt swiss ex471 rims Or ?? something better?? the other "problem" is my hubs are 28Hole. so the ex471 seems like a good option. I just need to bite the bullet and drop the cash on the xd driver if I go with sram i guess..

The only problem I have with shimano is the casstte is heavy and not really much different than a 10 speed with add on gear that I run now. Id like to stay with a 32tooth front and get a little faster top speed than I have now.. And better shifting and lighter cassette would be really nice.. Im seeing lots of xx1 and x01 10x42 cassttes for sale right now for 225-250$ which isnt really cheap but cheaper than they used to be at least..

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
they have the 295OOZY in 28 hole i have parts to build s set ,and as far as sram and shimamo gearing

i,m not concerned over one being 11t and another 10t i never get that low on my cog set , if i am at enough speed to warrant the 10t gearing i am typically faster then i can pedal gearing wise .

personally shimano has nicer shifters and a better clutch system that is quieter . a buddy is on the 2016 xt and loves it , it,s a 32 up front as well