Quantcast

SPD clipless plateform pedals

GTruckusFR

Chimp
Jun 7, 2016
Hi,

i'm looking to change my flat pedal for a clipless one.

i put my finger one three models:
Shimano M530. (or XT if a bargain or ad is good)
Shimano DX347.
Wellgo W70.

it will be use on trails, enduro with some jumps.

i'm not a great rider but with luck i don't fall very often.

so gentelmen please share your advice, review if you have one of these.

wellgo seems to be a main manufacturer in the pedals world but there is no reviews anywhere.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The m647s are solid, and the platform on them is a lot more substantial than the m530s.

I've got several sets of the m530 style pedals (in XT/XTR variety) and like them a lot, but they're definitely less good than the m647s if you're trying to ride them without clipless shoes (I would not recommend this for any serious riding) or for those times when you slip a pedal or miss a clip in and just ride them out for a moment not clipped in. Of course, the extra size of the m647 comes at a weight penalty, so the smaller/lighter XTR trails are a better compromise for me, but there is definitely a tradeoff to be had there.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They're about 100g heavier than the m530s. Realistically, will you be able to tell the difference? Probably not.

GTruckusFR

Chimp
Jun 7, 2016
Just curious, why are you making the switch?
it will be truly strange but sometimes i do some XC with my enduro hardtail and i'd like to optimize my pédaling during this session.
And by the way, i have noticed with flat pedals my right foot tend to not be well on the pedal.
so i would like to get clipless for that.
And in case of mud i'd return to my flat!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK. The current generation of platform pedals are pretty grippy, a good spin technique will help maximize power transfer.

From experience I can recommend Shimano M545, I have a set of those with 1000 plus hours on them and have never had any issues. Now I find them a bit clunky and prone clip rocks due to the the thickness of the cage. I recently bought a set of PD M8020 that are lower profile but still tend to rocks on tight trails.

My favored SPD pedal has no cage or platform - the M959 which I run on my XC and road bikes. I also find that cageless SPD pedals are more reliable in muddy conditions.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wellgo's cheap junk.

Pony up for the Shimano DX PD-M647. It's rugged and will work in a pinch if you need to ride in shoes without cleats.
This. I'm not a huge fan of the shimano "trail" pedals: The platform isn't huge and the lack of a 30 degree cant like the 545/647s makes getting back in more challenging, which is pretty damn important when you are bouncing around in rock gardens. The only thing 530s have going is they are dirt cheap and pretty damn reliable, but function wise I highly recommend the 647.

And don't be ashamed. I've hit plenty of big stuff, rode the double blacks at keystone, etc., those that claim you can't ride clipless DH just lack the confidence to do so, which you'll find common on both sides of the debate.

GTruckusFR

Chimp
Jun 7, 2016
may i ask you to all what are your own pedals?

i guess i will go to the 647. they look less futuristic and aesthetic than 530 but ..

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm on my second set of VP 133DH pedals. The first one went on for 10 years until the clipping jaws were too worn out to be useful, but despite being heavy and looking outdated, they do the trick for me, so I thought "what the heck" and got a second pair.

A friend uses the old Shimano 636s because of the same reasons I do wear the VPs and JM uses the 647s: the platform is huge and if for whatever reason you have to unclip and keep going, it's easier to do it. The 530s get REALLY slippery when muddy/rainy, and the polished surfaces don't really help with grip. I tested them myself, and a friend got rid of them for that exact reason.

If you want a set of "trail" pedals, take a look at the HT T1s. I haven't used them, but they seem to get pretty good reviews:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/06/03/review-will-ht-components-enduro-ready-t1-pedals-dethrone-shimanos-class-leading-trail-pedals/

GTruckusFR

Chimp
Jun 7, 2016
I'm on my second set of VP 133DH pedals. The first one went on for 10 years until the clipping jaws were too worn out to be useful, but despite being heavy and looking outdated, they do the trick for me, so I thought "what the heck" and got a second pair.

A friend uses the old Shimano 636s because of the same reasons I do wear the VPs and JM uses the 647s: the platform is huge and if for whatever reason you have to unclip and keep going, it's easier to do it. The 530s get REALLY slippery when muddy/rainy, and the polished surfaces don't really help with grip. I tested them myself, and a friend got rid of them for that exact reason.

If you want a set of "trail" pedals, take a look at the HT T1s. I haven't used them, but they seem to get pretty good reviews:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/06/03/review-will-ht-components-enduro-ready-t1-pedals-dethrone-shimanos-class-leading-trail-pedals/

I had a set of 636 and they were great!

I've checked the HT T1 but it's far far from my budget!

I have checked also if VP have something for me: the VX adventure looks good but seems to be out of my budget too

GTruckusFR

Chimp
Jun 7, 2016
Exustar=VP Components. I haven't had any experience with those particular pedals, but they seem to be well built.

I'd go for the 825/825ALs, since those have a pivoting pedal body (a la Shimano 647s), which helps a lot to clip in.
How do you know exustar=VP? I'm curious!

825 seems to be cool. but difficult to find in Europe

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
How do you know exustar=VP? I'm curious!

825 seems to be cool. but difficult to find in Europe
Ah sorry, I thought you were US based. Did you try bike-discount.com? They seem to have the cheapest prices in Europe.

With regards to the VP/Exustar thing, many years ago VP developed the Exustar brand to be their consumer (and western) oriented one, while keeping VP for the OEM (and Chinese) market. The same kind of stuff CST did with the Maxxis brand.

Now the tables are turned and VP relaunched as a mid/high segment brand.

GTruckusFR

Chimp
Jun 7, 2016
My mistake! I haven't mentioned i was in Europe!
I will take a look at bike discount but i'm not sure that i could find the M825 (even the 823 or 824)

GTruckusFR

Chimp
Jun 7, 2016
Ah sorry, I thought you were US based. Did you try bike-discount.com? They seem to have the cheapest prices in Europe.

With regards to the VP/Exustar thing, many years ago VP developed the Exustar brand to be their consumer (and western) oriented one, while keeping VP for the OEM (and Chinese) market. The same kind of stuff CST did with the Maxxis brand.

Now the tables are turned and VP relaunched as a mid/high segment brand.
may be you could give me US websites where i could check for exustar?