Quantcast

Speaking of eating habits

zibbler

Monkey
I just don't seem to have much of an appetite. Is there some kind of natural herb that stimulates appetite? I don't mean something that makes you hungry, cuz I'm hungry all the time, but food just doesn't appeal to me. There's just nothing I really want to eat. If I try to eat just for the sake of filling my stomach, but it's something I really don't want, it just gags me and I can't eat it. I hardly eat anything because I'm just bored with food. I average about 1 to 1.5 meals per day. I wish I could just take a "nutrition pill" and be done with it for the day. And no, I'm not bulimic or anorexic, I just have no real appetite.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I wouldn't worry about it and just eat snacks like 5 times a day. Good snacks... I snack all day long and hardly ever have an organized meal. I feel sluggish and bloated when I do.

I know that when I am running an ultra I need at least 250 calories per hour or I will bonk. I force myself to eat something salty and solid at every aid station and the I'll eat an ounce of hammer gel inbetween. It all tastes like crap but I know if I am to finish I must eat.

If you are burning the calories and not replacinging them... I dunno. Doesn't sound good.

My dinner tonight was two baked potatos, 2 oz butter and 3 oz of sour cream... ummm. Yummy!

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Well there is a natural herb that stimulates appetite in some people, but it's not exactly legal. That's one of the benefits of "medicinal pot" in cancer patients. The closest thing to a nutrition pill would be an Ensure shake....but they aren't too tasty.

Things that work for me...eat a little all day. I usually eat one or two bananas, nibble on trailmix, have a yogurt, an apple and some other fruit, carrot sticks....etc....if I nibble while sitting in front of my computer, I don't really think of it as eating since I'm more absorbed in my work. I also find that eating lighter meals --like a veggie stir fry or salad---tastes better to me than meat and potatoes.

Hope you get your appetite back soon!

HEY ZIB -

How long has this been going on?

I know that when I start eating clean - you know, the correct proportion of protein, fat and carbs (and the right number of calories) - by the end of the day - I feel like "blah, I don't want to eat anymore." so then I take one day a week and don't count calories and I have nachos and maybe a burger from Chilis. Then I'm ready to go for another week.

but if this has been going on for awhile, maybe you should see a doctor.

first, if you want, we can evaluate your diet and your goals?

Hope to help!

(btw, drugs are bad m'kay?)

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
HEY ZIB -

How long has this been going on?

(btw, drugs are bad m'kay?)
I've always been a real picky eater. I drove my mom nuts. I think I'm just bored with food. I get sick of eating the same things over and over again. I mean good grief how many different ways can you make chicken or pork etc...

I tend to go through phases. Recently the only foods I wanted were seafood. I would eat fish, oysters, shrimp, lobster or sushi for about a week. Now I'm sick of seafood. I can't stomach the thought of beef right now, but for a while I would eat a lot of steak. Last night I made a lamb roast and ate well because I haven't had lamb in a long time.

Also, I'm the type that loves the buffet type restaurants because there's so much variety. I don't like to eat too much of the same thing at once. A little of this, a little of that and I'm happy. I guess I'm a natural snacker. Problem is there aren't too many healthy snacks available. Most are overly carby or fatty. I'm not much of a fruit eater either.

And forget breakfast. I know it's the most important meal of the day, but solid food in the morning has always gagged me. I usually have a protein shake.

And don't worry about the drugs. I don't even take tylenol when I'm sick. I was just wondering if maybe there was a natural herb that stimulates appetite (not weed).

Nothing to worry about really, I just know I'm not eating right, or rather, not eating enough.

Here's what I ate yesterday, which was a fairly good day for me food wise:

Breakfast - protein shake
Lunch - 3 oz. tilapia (blackened), brussels sprouts, 1/2 baked potato
Snack - celery stick with peanut butter
Dinner - 3 oz. lamb, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup peas

Day before yesterday (not a good food day):
Breakfast - coffee
Lunch - 1 personal pizza
Snack - none
Dinner - popcorn