Specialized crushes Stratos *Unconfirmed*

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
eRumour on MTBr:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=225008
stratos sued and out of business...
my family's friend mike, who owns (or at least used to own) stratos suspension, came by our machine shop last week with some bad news. specialized sued them for everything they had by claiming patent infringement on the dampning rods that stratos uses. mike said specialized only sued them because in t was cheaper than buying stratos's patent from them. although stratos isn't the best suspension in the world it really sucks and makes me angry that they went out of business...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
That's rich. Sued because it was cheaper than buying a patent. OK then!

Why th ehell would specialized wnat anything Stratos produced anyways?
That's why I think there's more to this story than the emptybeer is letting on...

It would probably be cheaper to outright buy Stratos than sue/buy a patent.

Stratos was making suspension long before Specialized (aside from the early 90s). Makes no sense.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That's why I think there's more to this story than the emptybeer is letting on...
As in - the story didn't exist. The MTBR thread was rich tho. Lots of 15 year olds saying they will never buy a spec again.

It's quite possible Stratos went bankrupt, but it was probably due to their sub par products - not a lawsuit filed because it was "cheaper than buying rights to a patent". As you said, it'd be cheaper just to buy Stratos if they wanted something.

Spec was making suspension parts WAY WAY back anyways.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
this is what america is known gor what do you expect we are "sue happy!!"

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Confirmation?
Their site:

8/1/2006 Closed for Vacation

Stratos will be closed until September 4th for VACATION. We will still process parts orders via e-mail at sales@stratosusa.com
If you would like to place an order, please email us the following info:name,address,telephone #, we take visa or MasterCard

Thanks The guys at Stratos.

They make moto stuff too...weird.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
there is a possibility that the stratos id cartridge infringed on spesh'd brain patent and they decided to throw the hammer down

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I had some reducers machined from Stratos a month ago or so and the guy there told me that Specialized was suing them from patent infringment on the inertia valve which he claimed they own the original patent for. They were going to make both a fork and rear shock that used the technology, and never even ended up making either. I'd like to hear the rest of the story though.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I had some reducers machined from Stratos a month ago or so and the guy there told me that Specialized was suing them from patent infringment on the inertia valve which he claimed they own the original patent for. They were going to make both a fork and rear shock that used the technology, and never even ended up making either. I'd like to hear the rest of the story though.
Already that makes more sense. They infringed Specialized's patent and not specialized wanting some "technology".

If they didn't produce and sell the product though, i don't believe they can be sued?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
They never produced the shock for sale, but apparently they were about to. It sounds like they had other projects in the works with it too. Never much liked the product, but a shame none the less to see them give (if actually correct)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
stratos sold some ID cartridges...but I thought they bought the patent from somebody else, like a moto company. Maybe specialized owns a patent for applying the same technology to mountain bike use. Sounds kind of idiotic to me, but both companies were pretty idiotic, special ed owns everything and stratos never changed anything.

I remember reading about it earlier, stratos stopped selling their cartridge until the lawsuit came to pass. I'm not going to lie, I'm going to hate specialized for it, but I probably won't miss stratos. Flame away, but specialized is doing everything that people hate trek for, even when trek isn't really doing it anymore.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I had a Stratos M6 way-back-when........til this day it was the best valved fork i ever owned. Super adjustable, super compliant.......too bad it was all stuffed in a soda-can style casing......

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Anyone who thinks Specialized just willy-nilly sued the pants off Stratos to wiggle out of paying a fee is ignorant. Period.

If you don't have a good reason to sue someone and a case to back it up, you're going to lose money, both in lawyer fees, and you can get nailed for contempt of court. If Specialized isn't sure they own the applicable patent, they wouldn't sue. Not actively protecting your patents and trademarks is grounds to lose them, so Specialized actually wouldn't have much of a choice in the matter if they think there's infringement going on.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Wow......I didn't even realize Stratos was still making mountain bike suspension.