Quantcast

Specialized Hardrock Sport Upgrade Questions

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
I have a specialized hardrock sport. The frame has a lifetime warranty, and is very solid, but the stock components aren't that great. I was wondering what brand or what specific parts you recommend to make the bike a better one all around. First and for most I would like to replace the crank, then the fork, then the derailleur. You can get the technical specs on the stock components from the link below:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32576

Thanks in advance.

Oh can you also list prices for the parts...this will help me out.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
First of all, the rule is the upgrades will cost more than the bike itself.

But if you have to piecemeal it together, then you should list more about the kind of riding you do.

The Hardrock frame is very strong but heavy. If you are a 130lb rider who does mostly paved trails, then you should get a new frame. If you do more aggressive riding, upgrading the HR is a good idea.

metalchef87

Chimp
Aug 24, 2008
Berea, Kentucky
First of all I weigh 190 lbs...secondly I do pretty aggressive trails, and occasionally the easier trails. I don't have the money to get a new frame, but I like this one, even though it is a little on the heavy side. I just need to know what type of upgrades I should get.

And yes I have to do it piece by piece...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If crankset if your first upgrade, I would probably get an used Shimano XT crankset from no later than 2006, without the BB.

While there are a lot of cranksets out there, Shimano has the best rings for shifting and it is probably the best all around crank. It is used for racing, all-mountain, even light DH/FR.

I recommend not getting a bb. The bearings in the external cups are not very durable, so I would buy a new bb. But luckily the BB is compatible for the last few years.

Check the chainring wear if you buy used. If the teeth are broken off or hooked, which is called shark tooth, the rings will need to be replaced, so you want to avoid those cranks.

I bet a used XT crankset will be about $125-150.

Fork has to be an old school Marzocchi, like an MX Pro. The quality was at the highest before 2006. I still have my Z1 Pro from 2002. Works great! Under about $250.

Derailleurs, you have to list what you want to replace, like the rear, front, shifters, or everything.