Quantcast

Specialized P2 or ???

Alan-S

Chimp
Nov 17, 2010
Coming over from XC & AM. Want to get something fun to mess around on. Have some DJ and pump tracks in the area. Don't want to spend over $1,000. My local shop has a 2011 White and Purple P2 CRMO complete in stock for a good deal, but before I pull the trigger, any better suggestions or reasons why I should not buy this P2?

Alan-S

Chimp
Nov 17, 2010
My wife gets a 15% discount because the shop sponsors her for XC and they are letting me trade in an old cruiser for more than I think I could sell if for on Craigslist. About $550 net.

Alan-S

Chimp
Nov 17, 2010
OK, sounds like the P2 is going to be the winner.

Do you guys think that a 22.56" TT is going to be ok for me, 5'8"?

Here is the stock photo of the bike. It actually has purple hubs, nipples, and eyelets.

Attachments

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The length thing is going to be personal preference. I'm about the same height as you and ride an earlier incarnation of that frame. I like the fit. But I'd maybe find another bike that you know you like and compare some measurements. That's the in depth answer. My short answer would be that you'll be fine.

Just be aware that all 3 of the bikes you have up there come with some fairly cheap parts and you'll probably end up replacing things (mainly the fork) at some point.

Alan-S

Chimp
Nov 17, 2010
Hmmm..... Just went and measured all of the bikes in the garage. The longest effective top tube is on my XC race bike at 22.7". The shortest was 21.1 on my wife's Robaix road bike.

It is such a different animal though, hard to tell. I can see how chain-stay length makes a lot of difference with manuals and bunny hops, but since you are not seated nor pedaling long distances I don't see how it matters too much as long is it is somewhat comfortable.

I wish I could try out different bikes, there is only one DJ bike in a bike shop within 100 miles of where I live and it is this P2. BMX bikes feel tiny to me.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
OK, sounds like the P2 is going to be the winner.

Do you guys think that a 22.56" TT is going to be ok for me, 5'8"?

Here is the stock photo of the bike. It actually has purple hubs, nipples, and eyelets.
Hmmm, I'm not the best rider, so my opinion may not be as strong as others in here.

But I believe its the Large version (it has the letter 'L' above the table of geo specs) from looking at their website (the disclaimer says some sizes aren't available to all markets, which makes me think there is a Medium out there).

The 22.56" is the Top Tube (Actual) length whereas the Top Tube Length (Horizontal) is what bike companies go by. That would make it at 23.62".

I have a Blk Mrkt Riot 22" and it is a Large (and even feels just a bit large, I'm 5'10"), they say it's typically made for people 5'10" and above (or something like that). It is standard, but ultimately it is just your preference.

I say don't get it. It retails for $900 - $1000 everywhere online. So it isn't a great deal.

Specialized are the mainstream company that monopolizes bike shops in my area. Besides Specialized (which was freaking everywhere) the only other DJ bike I could find was the Blk Mrkts (which was still a bit difficult to find, considering I live in OC where they are made!).

Sorry to throw a wrench in your search. I bought a 2009 Blk Mrkt Riot for $500 used. It was listed for $700. I would look for a better used bike on craig's and that way you can try it out.

Going with Specialized, at least, you'll find parts/etc like it was a Honda Civic.

m.

Alan-S

Chimp
Nov 17, 2010
The TT length stuff has my head spinning. yea it matters a lot with mountainbikes and road bikes, because you spend a lot of time siting and your seat is usually at or very close to the Horizontal measurement. On these DJ bikes, you would never ever have your seat any where near the Horizontal (Effective) measurement point. I also think that thee Horizontal measurement is skewed because the seatpost angle is so far set back compared to traditional pedaling bikes.

Attachments

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
The TT length stuff has my head spinning. yea it matters a lot with mountainbikes and road bikes, because you spend a lot of time siting and your seat is usually at or very close to the Horizontal measurement. On these DJ bikes, you would never ever have your seat any where near the Horizontal (Effective) measurement point. I also think that thee Horizontal measurement is skewed because the seatpost angle is so far set back compared to traditional pedaling bikes.
Yeah, I hear you on that. I felt the same when getting into the dj market.

That's why you want to see what the manufacturer lists it as.

In this case, it appears to be a Large size frame. At 5'8" (I personally) wouldn't go for it. It is a $1000! There are so many good bikes out there for the same retail (not MSRP) price. The 2009 Blk Mrkt Riot was $1050 retail ($1450 MSRP). It's known to be a very good bike and also comes with DJ1 forks, instead of the lesser DJ2 forks.

I would look elsewhere. I think the reason they have Specialized DJ at that shop is the same reason why Sport Chalet will have them. Mainstream, easy to sell, and they get the product on consignment. Specialized is so big that they can afford to put bikes everywhere. What better place to put a bike (a dj bike at that, which is rare in general), than a bike shop that has no other djs around to compete with, ya know what I mean!?

I'm sure it's a decent bike, but you have choices if you look online (I'd suggest craigslist so you can check out the bike in person).

Last edited:

Alan-S

Chimp
Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely scouring the used market for other options, but I am not coming up with much. What are the good online retailers that sell DJ, aside from Jenson, I have not seen much.

BTW, I am not paying anywhere near $1000 for the P2, but I would not mind spending that much to get the right bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The world is full of hardtails that people buy thinking they want to start dirtjumping........only to realize they're terrified of either busting ass for weeks on end to build them, or of just leaving the ground once they're at a spot.

Check the classifieds here as well as craigslist and ebay if you haven't already.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I was in the same situation recently. I usually ride XC, AM, and DH. I've done a bit of dirt jumping but there aren't many places around where I live. But I do go ride at Ray's indoor park which has lots of jumps, and wanted a bike for that. Plus we just starting building a small DJ area at a local county park. So I wanted a DJ bike but only wanted to spend around $500. Since I'm not going to use it all that much, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on one. I wasn't finding too many used bikes that looked good at that price, although for a couple hundred more there were some pretty nice ones.

Then i saw Chainlove had the Rocky Mountain Flow 2 bike for only $525 with free shipping so I jumped on it. The P2 has slightly better geo, but the RM is not bad, and I think will work well as a starter bike. I just got it yesterday and took it for a spin and it feels good, but I need to show it some jumps first. It just came up again on Chainlove today, so they still have them if you are interested.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
yeah, i never bought a new complete bike online before. only new parts. my bikes I got used on craigslist. you have to be patient though, and check every day so you can jump on the best deal first.

as far as not being able to ride a dj to it's capabilities. who really cares. it's still a fun bike if you know how to bunny hop and man-handle it.

i'm getting my buddies on these just because I feel they're one of the most 'all-around' bikes on the market:

raise the seat - it can be an urban cruiser
see a big curb coming up - hop up it
get decent gearing - you can keep up with street specific bikes, while still maintaining torque
go to the mountain - may have to push the bike a bit, but fly down pretty easy (especially for a sub $1000 bike)
if a jump comes up - you will kill it (obviously it's strongest feature)

these bikes are awesome. my homie was about to follow the hipster trend and get a fixie, i was like hell no if that is going to be your only bike purchase. i need someone to ride with! you can still keep up with the 'trixies.' but they're not following you when you cut through the hillside shortcut or bunny hopping up a fat curb when the street turns into a 2-way super-f'ing-highway.

no other bikes (that I can think of) is more versatile.
with a road bike, no real terrain can be approached and be careful of bunnyhops.
full suspension bike (upwards of $1500+), feels like riding on a flat and you tend to have extra weight and chunky tires. and God forbid you have to lock it up somewhere.

jeez, this turned out to be long...

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i was going to say check out the DK Asterik . . .

but it looks like they completely changed it for 2011. now it looks a lot like the Haro Steel Reserve rigid.

http://shop.dkbicycles.com/11-DK-Asterik-Black-Orange/dp/B004892Y0S?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

but here's a 2010 for $499. hard to beat that. the Asterik and Xenia (at least the older ones) were slightly more mtb-ish than some of the hardcore DJ bikes. slightly longer chainstays, lower bottom bracket, higher seat tube and top tube. however, still very jumpable and rideable on xc rides as well.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/300279_3039246.do

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I'm 5'8, generally ride a medium frame mtb and a 20.5 or 21" tt bmx. just sold my 2010 P1 which was that length top tube iirc. I thought it was great stability wise but felt a little too awkward(long) to really throw around. if i ever go back to one of those type of bikes it'll be something with ~21"tt and as short chainstays as possible.