Quantcast

Specialized SX rear shock confusion!

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all

I was just checking the foxshox site for the specs on applications for their shocks.

They say : 2003 SX, 6.75" eye to eye, 1.25" stroke for vanilla R.
For the 2004 SX which is 100% the same frame without any alterations apart from decals and color, they say 6.75" eye to eye, 1.75" stroke!!!!!

Specialized Website says 6.5" e2e, and 1.5" stroke!!!! for both models!

Anyone care to enlighten me?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Let me know what you find out, but you might try calling Specialized. Wait... that would be an expensive call. Maybe I'll try calling them this afternoon for ya.

D

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
The length is 6.75" which is a really odd length. :confused:
I'm not sure about the stroke but the spring on my SX says 1.94 stroke. Which is also odd.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Remove your shock, measure the uncompressed I-2-I, remove the spring and fully compress the shock, now measure the I-2-I again. Subtract the compressed length from the uncompressed length and there's your actual stroke. Pretty simple. Even if you call around you might get BS'ed just find out for yourself. If you have access to both model years that would be ideal just to be sure, but I think you are right in thinking they are identical.

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
i just put a fox ava on the back of my sx which has a 6.5 i2i length. it's definetly shorter than the vanilla but if you flip the linkage you can maintian the slacker HA with a bit less travel.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
As profro informed me, the spring is compressed into the shock using a spring compressor, so removing the spring from the vanilla shock on my SX just isnt an option for me.

I was curious if fox website is wrong or if specialized website is wrong.

my thoughts are that if i got 1.5 stroke, then easily i could replicate the 5.1 inches of the normal enduro with a 1.75 stroke shock.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by math2014
As profro informed me, the spring is compressed into the shock using a spring compressor, so removing the spring from the vanilla shock on my SX just isnt an option for me.

I was curious if fox website is wrong or if specialized website is wrong.

my thoughts are that if i got 1.5 stroke, then easily i could replicate the 5.1 inches of the normal enduro with a 1.75 stroke shock.
You might be able to get some extra travel but it won't "replicate" the Enduro. The Enduro's front shock mount is farther forward on the frame, that allows you to mount a longer shock without altering the geometry. If you add a longer shock it will jack up your BB height and head angle. 4.5" is plenty of travel for a bike like that. If you can find a same I-2-I shock with more stroke that might work but check for clearances, will the shock body contact the reinforced seat-mast under full compression, etc?

I am surprised the coil spring is compressed on the shock, that usually indicates the wrong spring length. That would make it hard to remove the travel limiting chips that come from the factory. Even if you remove all of the pre-load you still need a spring compressor???

Specialized always seems to spec. oddball I-2-I shocks, it's like they don't want you changing it, or they don't want you using their proprietary shock features on other bikes.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing...

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Agreed, for the enduro replication. I checked about clearances etc etc, and from what i see, i can easily push into another 0.5" of stroke or eye to eye ,given that i reverse the flip link. If i do this, then bb height and angles will remain the same!

Just my 2 cents.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I talked to Chris Heardon (Spec. Pro) at a local race and he said that they did use spring compressors to get the springs on. I would GUESS its because they may not have such high spring rates in the shorter strokes. Most people want super high spring rates on the SXs.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Okay, here goes...

Called Specialized. They said that Fox makes a proprietary shock for the SX and its whats on their website (6.5" x 1.5"). But then I mentioned that Fox's website says that its a 6.75" x 1.25". He said go with what ever is on Specialized's site. :rolleyes:

I think its a 6.5 x 1.5 for what its worth. We should just measure it on the bike. However, I can't because I don't have mine at work wih me today.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by profro
Okay, here goes...

Called Specialized. They said that Fox makes a proprietary shock for the SX and its whats on their website (6.5" x 1.5"). But then I mentioned that Fox's website says that its a 6.75" x 1.25". He said go with what ever is on Specialized's site. :rolleyes:

I think its a 6.5 x 1.5 for what its worth. We should just measure it on the bike. However, I can't because I don't have mine at work wih me today.
Cheers profro, i ll measure and i ll inform you.