Quantcast

Specialized team rider Trond Hansen wins first Saint Deep Summer Photo Challenge

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Specialized team rider Trond Hansen from Norway won the first Saint Deep Summer Photo Challenge together with the &#8220;Team Scanada&#8221; around photographer Mattias Fredriksson. Their common award: 3.000 Canadian Dollars.</p><p>
</p><p>
During the Crankworx bike festival in Whistler, Canada, six of the world&#8217;s best mountain bike photographers bared it all with their five minute picture slide show, shot entirely over three days in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park and around Whistler&#8217;s valley trails and jump parks. </p><p>
</p><p>
Trond&#8217;s multi-national, seven people &#8220;Team Scanada&#8221; led by Swede Mattias Fredriksson took the first prize with a slideshow that exceeded everyone&#8217;s expectations: </p><p>
</p><p>
&#8220;It was a great honor to even be considered for this event,&#8221; says Fredriksson. &#8220;I am known for my ski photography, but I love to shoot bike riding. To share this experience with people like John Gibson means a lot to me since he is one of the reasons I was inspired to get into mountain bike photography. Dave Mossop and I worked so hard to edit the photos, we really worked as a team. I learned a lot from this and I owe so much to Team Scanada for helping me take first place against these amazing photographers.&#8221;</p><p>
</p><p>
&#8220;I thought the photo challenge was special, because it showed quite a lot of different styles, even though it was all shot on the same mountain under the same conditions&#8221; says Trond. &#8220;I think we won, because Mattias is the best photographer, we had good help from a local guy to show us around and a professional to help us editing the slideshow. We also had a great variety of riders in our team!&#8221;</p><p>
</p><p>
Local North Shore Vancouverite Dan Barham took home second place, and Harookz, also of Vancouver, was awarded third. Deep Summer head judge Paul Morrison: &#8220;In the end Team Scanada took top spot, but each team should be very proud of what they accomplished.&#8221;</p><p>
</p><p>
Judge Jonathan Hayward, staff photographer for the Canadian Press, echoed Morrison&#8217;s sentiments. &#8220;The Deep Summer Photo Challenge totally blew me away. The quality of photographs from this high energy sport truly captured the vibe and feeling of riding. With over 1,000 people coming out to the presentation, it proved still photography is alive and well. People love to view quality images and it showed as the crowd cheered, laughed and reacted as the pictures were shown.&#8221; </p><p>
</p><p>
There is no doubt this competition merging art and athletics is soon to become one of the highlights of Kokanee Crankworx. </p><p>
</p><p>
Unfortunately, Trond crashed during practice for the Kokanee Crankworx Slopestyle competition and bruised his kidney, so he couldn&#8217;t compete in the finals. Trond should recover fast and he will definitely be back at Eurobike to meet his fans.</p>

More...