Quantcast

Specialized Triathlon USA Race Update: May 21-22

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Specialized Triathletes showed dominance yet again this past weekend with strong racing producing three championships and top tens across the board. </p><p>
</p><p>
At the XTERRA Southeast Championship in Pelham, AL Specialized Triathlon USA athletes Melanie McQuaid and Emma Garrard again joined Specialized Global Triathlon athletes Conrad Stoltz and Dan Hugo for a dominant weekend. </p><p>
</p><p>
Men’s runner up Hugo spoke highly of Stoltz 4th straight XTERRA American Tour win of ’11 saying “You must give credit where credit is due, and what Conrad did today was impressive. When he needs to produce a good swim, he does. When he needs a strong run, he delivers. He doesn’t make mistakes on the bike. He’s seemingly flawless. I guess 20 years of experience will do that for you.” However it was Hugo who made things interesting with a stellar run that brought him to within 20 seconds of “the Caveman” by the finish giving the Specialized men and their S-Works Epic 29ers, a 1-2 finish for the second week in a row. </p><p>
</p><p>
On the women’s side Melanie McQuaid rebounded from an off week at the XTERRA Pacific Championships a week earlier due to a high training volume to return to the top of the podium. “I was on the Conrad taper, which pretty much meant putting my feet up,” said McQuaid “I didn’t’ do much at all and it worked. I’m feeling a lot better since Santa Cruz last week.” While Emma Garrard continued here breakthrough season with 5th place and another podium. </p><p>
</p><p>
Kristen Peterson claimed the Aquathlon National Championship (1500m swim/5k run) in Longmont, CO on Saturday and backed up the win with another win on the same course at the Summer Open Sprint Triathlon the following day. </p><p>
</p><p>
Desiree Ficker produced an impressive 7th place at the inaugural Memorial Herman Ironman Texas, which was also her first race aboard the Specialized Shiv. “The conditions were hot, sticky and humid and the run came down to a battle of attrition. I went through quite a few highs and lows on the marathon portion, dropping my salt and feeling like death halfway through but luckily managing to regain a second wind in the last 10 miles of the run to hold on to a decent finish. The crowds, volunteers and organizers all came together to make for an exciting and challenging first year Ironman. I am happy to have moved up in the KPR (Kona Points Rankings) and hope things continue to improve throughout the season. The highlight of the race was my 4:51 bike split on the Specialized Shiv, which was the third fastest female bike split of the day. Despite the wind the bike was cutting through and moving forward like a steam train! I am looking forward to my next race, Eagleman 70.3.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Jennifer Tetrick also had a strong race at one of triathlons longest running events, the Columbia Triathlon in Maryland. Tetrick would come home in 5th place after producing the third fastest bike split aboard here Specialized Transition. </p><p>
</p><p>
Next week Specialized Triathlon USA athletes will be in action at the second stop of the LifeTime Triathlon Series in Austin, TX at the CapTex triathlon. </p><p>
</p><p>
For more detailed race reports be sure to check the athlete blogs on www.iamspecialized.com</p>

More...