Quantcast

Speedplay: X or 0?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Im using the X on my Roubaix.

Really really nice. They feel odd at first, but the combination of unlimited float (after a while your pedal stroke just finds its most efficient cycle) and body geometry shoes is amazing. The reduction in knee pain after a long ride is phenomenal. I now have NONE.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
thanks DT... how far do you have to extend to exit? Seems like a lot of float (35°?) would require a fair amount of knee torqueage... is that accurate?

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Zero's you need to KNOW how much float per side.. usually you should goto a fit specialiest to know exactly how much. That's what the Zero's are made for... Now x's on the other hand you just put ur cleats on and play with ur Q-factor a bit (if you want) and then just ride! The exit point isn't as bad as some play it out to be... Speedplays, especially X's are a very large precentage of road pedals... there's reasons why. YA KNOW?

Also with the X3 being discontinued and the X5's taking its place, they all have needle bearings..........just a side note

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I tried Xs, didn't like 'em.

I'm now trying Ultegra SPD-SLs. So far, like 'em very much, but only got an hour ride in last night due to weather.

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
I have always enjoyed the speedplay pedal, feels like you are on ice at first but the free floating system is great. I first used them in 1994 and 10 years later they are still a great pedal.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Speedplay x-pedals are crap. The zeros on the other hand are mildly ridable if you lock out all the float and use extra-stiff shoes. If you have to use road pedals, spd-sl's are definietly where it's at for me .
No float, large platform, consistent feel and same low stack height as speedplays, but without the dangerous lateral sagitial rocking that develops when the cleat/shoe interface becomes worn out. Another major ergonimic hit against the x-pedals is that most cyclists have muscle imbalances between the lateral and medial head of their quariceps that often cause external rotation of the heal. If this is ignored it often leads to both IT band syndrome and plantar fasciitis.
Honestly though, since i switched from being a full-time road racer to a road/cx/dh racer I've just ridden time atacs on all my bikes. When you are on a different bike every day it's nice to keep things as consistent as you can. (I do have road shoes set up with time atac "cyclo" cleats (atac cleats with outriggers for use on road shoes)). So, for high-milage riders unchecked float is dangerous, and instead of paying $100 for ti-axles most cyclists should put that money toward a professional bike fit.